Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2018, 05:00 AM   #1

Greyhawk 2nd A.C.

Hi, does the Greyhawk come prepped for a 2nd A.C?
Thanks all!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:46 AM   #2

Prepped, dont think so. 2nd AC installed as an option, yes.

The frameless windows look cool but functionally lame. Even when temps drop outside the RV, I cant get enough cool air inside from the windows to help and end up running both AC. Need 2 AC to cool the rig!!
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #3

If you order with 2nd air it comes with power management and 2 11,000. I understand if you order single it is 15,000 and the power management and wiring for 2nd are still in the coach, which others have posted. I personally would just order 2nd right from factory. Probably less than having a dealer add it later.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #4

Thanks!
That's what we were hoping for. Hate heat!
We will probably buy off the Dealer's lot hoping for the best deal. Will probably have to go the Dealer install option. I don't see many advertised on the lot with the 2nd AC.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Thanks!

That's what we were hoping for. Hate heat!

We will probably buy off the Dealer's lot hoping for the best deal. Will probably have to go the Dealer install option. I don't see many advertised on the lot with the 2nd AC.

FYI - If you have the dealer install the 2nd A/C, the same way the factory would have for the option, it will wind up costing you almost three times the price of the factory option. I know, because I did this on my 2017 Greyhawk.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
I don't see many advertised on the lot with the 2nd AC.
If your dealer is anything like the ones I worked with, they may not even know 2 AC's are an option! May even have some on the lot / storage with 2AC an not even know it.

One Jayco Greyhawk dealer I contacted swore up and down NO class C has an option for 2 AC's, you need 50 AMP service, etc.. Even dealers which had them on their lot! None of online descriptions or notes about any of the rig's with 2 AC I looked at mentioned it. I had to come through photos looking at the ceiling of the back bedroom to see if I could spot a 2nd AC, or roof pictures to spot it.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Hi, does the Greyhawk come prepped for a 2nd A.C?
Thanks all!
I would have the dealer order one with what I wanted before taking something off the lot that needed to be modified. Trust me on this...if they can discount 25-35% on a lot unit they can on a order unit. Actually they have less cost in a order because they haven’t had to pay interest on it while it sits on the lot.

The problem with adding the second a/c on a Class C Greyhawk is the 30 amp Service it comes with. Only way to properly do it is to add the mini power control system that factory only puts on the Greyhawks with the 2 A/C option.
Attached Thumbnails
01952BFF-1B0C-45B0-A2F5-DD916A7AB480.jpeg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
I would have the dealer order one with what I wanted before taking something off the lot that needed to be modified. Trust me on this...if they can discount 25-35% on a lot unit they can on a order unit. Actually they have less cost in a order because they haven’t had to pay interest on it while it sits on the lot.

The problem with adding the second a/c on a Class C Greyhawk is the 30 amp Service it comes with. Only way to properly do it is to add the mini power control system that factory only puts on the Greyhawks with the 2 A/C option.

Just as information, my GreyHawk is a 2017. It came without the second A/C, but was completely wired for the 2nd unit and already had the power control system installed in the coach and mounted on the wall.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Just as information, my GreyHawk is a 2017. It came without the second A/C, but was completely wired for the 2nd unit and already had the power control system installed in the coach and mounted on the wall.
Several others have reported exactly the same info and have added a 2nd unit.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #10

You guys are the best!
Thanks for the responses. I love what bababooey had to say. That's why I am learning from actual owners and users instead of relying on a salesman who might be here today and in the wind tomorrow. Really a shame people selling items in the 65K to "the sky is the limit" can't give accurate information to prospective customers. Enough negativity

I have gathered already that two 11,000 AC's do a much better job than one 15K AC........makes sense. It would for sure make it more comfortable evenly through the Coach.

My other concern would be how long it would take to get a special order from the factory?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Several others have reported exactly the same info and have added a 2nd unit.
How do they overcome the disparity in BTU ratings in that situation. The ones that come from factory with 2 units are 11K units; the ones that have a single unit, it's a 15K unit. So, can the power management system handle a 15K and an 11K unit? Assuming you would simply add an 11K unit and "plug it in" to the existing wiring? If so, that would have been preferable to 2 11K units IMO. The profile of the front area of my coach is completely different than the rear, so the unit in the rear is over-spec'd at 11K, and the unit in front is under-spec'd based on the size of the space and the heat loads of the different "zones".

It would actually work better with a 15K up front, and the 11K out back.

Not to say I'm unhappy; my 2 11K units do just fine so far.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
So, can the power management system handle a 15K and an 11K unit?
It can, but it will just shed other loads, or even one a/c faster. The 11,000 has a running load of 10 amps and the 15,000 is 15 amps. So if the 11 and 15 are running together you have very little cushion on what else will run.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It can, but it will just shed other loads, or even one a/c faster. The 11,000 has a running load of 10 amps and the 15,000 is 15 amps. So if the 11 and 15 are running together you have very little cushion on what else will run.
Yeah, my 11K units will actually pull 22A running together. So not much else can run when both units are running anyway. I wonder if I would miss that extra 4A for a 15K unit? It's got me thinking whether I could switch out the existing 11K for a 15K plug and play...?

Examples are the microwave, and the electric element for the water heater. If both ACs are running, and one of those starts, I'm probably shedding an AC unit anyway. Not necessarily always, it depends on what other "small" draw items are running that I have less control over...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote