Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #1

Greyhawk 31ds

Hi everyone,

We just traded in our Jayco travel trailer for a 2011 greyhawk 31ds. We will be picking it up on 8/2/2011. We are going to tow a 2010 Nissan Cube with an automatic transmisson and purchased a Demco KarKaddy3 to pull it. If anyone has any input on towing with the greyhawk it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob & Cindy
cinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #2

We have a 2010 Greyhawk GS31, and we tow a Honda Fit. We had a Blue Ox towplate and bar installed, and we have never had a problem towing the car. But, having said that, we have gotten ourselves down country lanes with no place to turn around. So, you then have to unhook the car, turn the RV around and then hook the car back up again. Seems like an easy problem to avoid, but you don't always know when you are going to wind up on a country lane until it's too late. We like the Honda Fit because of it's low cost, low weight, great gas mileage and the fact that it seems to have more room inside than the car itself, with the fold-down seats. The main attraction for us, though, was the fact that it is one of the few cars that can be towed with an automatic transmission with all 4 wheels on the ground. Just be careful to follow the manual's instructions on preparing the car for towing. Have fun!
rdale1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

Thanks for your input.
cinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #4

cinbob- a little off topic, but just traded in a travel trailer for a 2011 31DS 2 weeks ago and we love it, but had 1 issue on the first trip out last week. On the first morning after setting up, I was walking around the outside and heard water gushing onto the ground. It was coming from the drain pipe while someone was taking a shower. The drain pipe had a huge split down it, and this is because it lays right on top of the passenger side rear leaf spring. A plastic pipe will not tolerate that abuse, and it is now in for repair. I told them they would need to re-route it b/c it would break again with the current configuration. Would be curious to know if yours is the same configuration when you get it. I can post a picture as well.
pkanalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #5

Picture added
Attached Thumbnails
drain leaf spring.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #6

Congrats on the new rv!! We picked up our 31 ds back in may. So far no major issues, knock on wood. Anyway, our drain line is in same place. I didn't realize that it was coming from the shower though. There seems to be adequate space between the springs and piping. When I first saw it I was worried about road debris or rocks causing damage. Is there any chance that the pipe may have been damaged prior to delivery??
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

psw-
all drains were emptying from that point (shower, kitchen sink, and br sink) when being used. They did a thorough check on the systems including running all faucets before delivery, so they should have noticed something was wrong. I suspect it was damaged in transit either when I took it home, or on the trip up.

The split in the pipe is longitudinal on the bottom. In the picture, it originates at the closest point of contact with the spring and goes to the right (toward the front of the coach) about 8" which makes me think it is almost certainly from the stress of leaning on that spring at some point.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkanalyst View Post
psw-
all drains were emptying from that point (shower, kitchen sink, and br sink) when being used. They did a thorough check on the systems including running all faucets before delivery, so they should have noticed something was wrong. I suspect it was damaged in transit either when I took it home, or on the trip up.

The split in the pipe is longitudinal on the bottom. In the picture, it originates at the closest point of contact with the spring and goes to the right (toward the front of the coach) about 8" which makes me think it is almost certainly from the stress of leaning on that spring at some point.
I would think that it shouldn't even be touching the spring. Ours has several inches of clearance from everything but the frame if I recall correctly.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
I would think that it shouldn't even be touching the spring. Ours has several inches of clearance from everything but the frame if I recall correctly.
Ok, mine only had a millimeter or so of clearance if any. Any body roll would result in contact. Mine was probably supposed to be like yours, but something went awry.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #10

Talked with service manager where my 31DS is getting worked on today. He says Jayco is aware that clearance for this drain is an issue on some units. On others, they compensated by raising it up and this does not reportedly affect the line having the necessary fall for the drain to function. This is the fix they are going to move forward with on my unit.