Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #1

Greyhawk 31FS Maiden Voyage - The Good and the Bad

We just got back from a quick two night adventure in our new Greyhawk 31FS. All in all a good weekend!

First the bad. I have detailed in another post our initial trouble with the on demand water heater, but another post led me to the "secret" reset button and it worked beautifully from there

Discovered the screen door does not really latch, so will need repair.

Living area slide out got stuck on top area and would not close fully. After much fiddling I figured out the seals were getting stuck and folding on themselves. One I straightened them out, and carefully brought it in, no problem. Have some slide out rubber seal lube on order and I think it should do the trick

When trying to leave this morning the back left stabilizer jack motor kept trying to raise the jack even once fully back in. It would not give the "all up" so even when I powered the system down we would get the safety alarm when the engine was cranked to warn us the jacks were not up...yet they were. I went to that jack and discovered the metal post that contacts the jack, and is clearly the sensor to stop the motor, was out of place. After I put it back, all set. Simple, but damn annoying!

Lastly, the slide out ripped the kitchen floor when going out. This actually happened soon after getting it home but gonna accumulate a list for our dealer before taking it in. Not too worried, it's under warranty (and we bought an extended one to boot)

Now the good! Engine ran great

Water heater performed perfectly once it was reset and we figured out how to control it

Generator purred perfectly while driving keeping everyone comfortable in the Louisiana Heat

Overall storage of this model is ample inside and out. We stuffed her full, and still have tons of space for longer trips. Very pleased with storage

Fridge worked great, roomier then expected. Freezer was amazing, kept our ice perfect all weekend.

The grill included with the rig worked surprisingly well. Now, I'm a grill snob as I use a Big Green Egg at home, but, this one did the job. Gave us good flavor on steaks, pork chops, and chicken thighs.

For that matter, the gas burners in the kitchen worked very well. I cook a lot, and they performed very well

Lastly the layout itself, especially the bunks were great. We have two kids under 10, and they fell in love with RVing! Master bed was very comfortable, although we did add memory foam topper.

Is this rig a million dollar unit! Nope. Is it fully functional? Yep! But man some of the lack of attention to detail straight from the factory can be a real annoyance!

Ernie
DocHarvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #2

We had trouble with tankless water heater the first trip, but discovered that it was all operator error. Essentially do not try to mix to get warm temp u want, rather adjust flow and use knob on wall.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Absolutely +1

Once I reset the unit, and figured out the procedure, the unit worked perfectly!
Old 05-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHarvick View Post
We just got back from a quick two night adventure in our new Greyhawk 31FS. All in all a good weekend!

Discovered the screen door does not really latch, so will need repair.

When trying to leave this morning the back left stabilizer jack motor kept trying to raise the jack even once fully back in. It would not give the "all up"

Now the good! Engine ran great

Water heater performed perfectly once it was reset and we figured out how to control it

Generator purred perfectly while driving keeping everyone comfortable in the Louisiana Heat

Overall storage of this model is ample inside and out. We stuffed her full, and still have tons of space for longer trips. Very pleased with storage

Fridge worked great, roomier then expected. Freezer was amazing, kept our ice perfect all weekend.

The grill included with the rig worked surprisingly well. Now, I'm a grill snob as I use a Big Green Egg at home, but, this one did the job. Gave us good flavor on steaks, pork chops, and chicken thighs.

For that matter, the gas burners in the kitchen worked very well. I cook a lot, and they performed very well

Is this rig a million dollar unit! Nope. Is it fully functional? Yep! But man some of the lack of attention to detail straight from the factory can be a real annoyance!

Ernie
Glade to hear that you (despite the annoyance) still had a great time and were able to figure things out.

Have the same issue with my levels (one sticks) now I'm going to crawl under and see if it's something simple as yours.

Screen door is a joke. I adjusted the plastic receiver and it helps somewhat. What I did do is buy from Amazon the Camco 42183 Screen Door Cross Bar (Black) which does the trick on grabbing the screen door to close.

Having the 29MV the Mrs and I are very happy with it. Plenty of room, more then enough storage, closet space, under cab storage...

I just put some tubular cam locks all around the outside. (Don't want no surprises finding all my storage doors open) when I was not the one who opened them.

Anyway, glad to know you maintained a "positive attitude" on the maiden voyage !

Happy future trails!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Excellent idea on the cam locks! Where did you buy them and about how much did it run you to do all the doors? The key that comes with the RV is so sticky and it's annoying to use. The cam locks should be much easier.

It was a challenge to keep a positive attitude to some extent because I am very detail oriented. That said, I knew going in that these vehicles are notorious for not working right, particularly out of the gate. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHarvick View Post
Excellent idea on the cam locks! Where did you buy them and about how much did it run you to do all the doors? The key that comes with the RV is so sticky and it's annoying to use. The cam locks should be much easier.

It was a challenge to keep a positive attitude to some extent because I am very detail oriented. That said, I knew going in that these vehicles are notorious for not working right, particularly out of the gate. Thanks for the encouragement!
================================================== ==

Got them thru this website. CH751 RV REPLACEMENT LOCKS, CAM LOCKS, CAMLOCKS

Price was $12.05 each. I just replaced one for one (that locked) I also had a storage box that had NO lock (I guess they either forgot or) ran out and were too lazy to come back with a lock to finish the job.

Ordered them on Thursday and got them Monday. It keeps others "honest".
You also get 2 master keys along with 2 spare keys.

Ok Ernie, take care and Happy Trails !

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #7

A great post. I lurked around that same dealership for weeks trying to make a decision. Finally bought the used one from your buddy out on Masonic Drive. ( I hope they will still let me participate on this Jayco Forum)
Hog86r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:27 AM   #8
WDW

I'm test piloting one camlock. I have no doubts about the lock... But "THEY" keep making the numbers smaller and smaller.... LOL. I van still find my keys at least!

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:41 AM   #9

Got mine at Camping world for $10.27

Screen Door Cross Bar - Black Handle - Camco 42183 - Screen Doors - Camping World
Old 05-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
================================================== ==

Price was $12.05 each. I just replaced one for one (that locked) I also had a storage box that had NO lock (I guess they either forgot or) ran out and were too lazy to come back with a lock to finish the job.
Hope that isn't the one with the propane tank. It's not suppose to have a lock so that it can b gotten into by anyone in an emergency. I.E. fireman, cop, etc.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

It's actually ILLEGAL to lock that bay so make sure you did not change it out. Pretty big fine associated with locking it federally.
YouTube - PaleoHikerMD
Old 05-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #12
WDW

You know I wonder why there is no sticker identitying that emergency shutoff valve is located behind that door. Would save time given every rig is different.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #13

I noticed an old thread of yours Mr, Greyhawk 51..what are tubular cam locks....sure wish those storage doors had some sort of stay open bracket too...
I lived in Vegas from 48 till bout 66....too big now for me...
thanks....Steve Bartel
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:16 PM   #14

oops sorry..found your link for the locks.
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #15

No problem )