Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2019, 03:57 AM   #1

Greyhawk 31FS Rear ground clearance/overhang

Looking for experiences dealing with the length of the longer Class C RV's aft of the rear axle and dragging due to low clearance. No intention of any serious off roading here, but am seriously considering installing airbags to get a few more inches of clearance to get in/out of awkward gas stations and deal with moderate dirt roads.
N7flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:22 AM   #2

Check your Hellwig helper springs to be sure they are actually helping. On my rig, the nuts were barely threaded on and the helper springs were basically added weight. Once I tightened all of the nuts down per recommendations found on this forum, by rear end now clears the end of my sloped driveway I used to scrape all the time.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:25 AM   #3

Not sure about the FS, but I have a 31DS (2016) and I too was concerned about that issue but can honestly say I have never dragged the tail end.

It sits up pretty high and even with my toad on the back, the only issue I have ever had was trying to get into a difficult undeveloped camp site and coming close to dragging the black/grey drains which is the nemesis of many RV's. I boondock at State and National parks and in some cases, access to camp sites is not well developed. The only thing I obsess over is the drains, not the back of the coach.

My only problem with gas stations is making sure I can get in and out with my toad attached.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 AM   #4

I have a 2009 Greyhawk never dragged the tail, I too had to adjust the Helwigs hardly had any tension on them, and it is a chore picking the right gas station with a toad in tow
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #5

My 29MV probably doesn't have quite as much overhang as yours.

But I agree that you need to properly adjust your Hellwig helpers in the rear first. Mine were like so many others in that they were loose. Which is to say they were "adjusted" to the absolute minimum specification.

I've only scraped my rear once. It was before I had adjusted my springs, and it was a SEVERE fuel station driveway. I knew better the moment I saw it, but I had no choice. And it didn't scrape that bad; I couldn't feel it, I could only hear it...

Edit: I just looked up the specs, and at least for 2019, the 31FS and 29MV are listed at the exact same length: 32'6".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #6

Th only issue I've ever had is one place we stayed at (there's a thread about it) where the access road met the highway was on an embanked curve and the embankment was steep enough that no matter how I approached it we dragged the step and the very bottom of the rear axel differential (aka the pumpkin). Perhaps there was a way I could have avoided both scrapes but it was a difficult setup... Never thought to check my hellwig springs so I'll probably take a look at those to see if mine are like the other posters...

Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
Check your Hellwig helper springs to be sure they are actually helping. On my rig, the nuts were barely threaded on and the helper springs were basically added weight. Once I tightened all of the nuts down per recommendations found on this forum, by rear end now clears the end of my sloped driveway I used to scrape all the time.
What were the torque specs you found or could you point me to the thread you used?

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
What were the torque specs you found or could you point me to the thread you used?

Thanks,
Jeff
There's not a torque specification on these. Their adjustment is based on the distance from the supplemental spring at the U-bolt to the top of the spring pack.

I can't find the instructions right now, but IIRC, the range was from 3/4" to 4"?

I adjusted mine down to right at 1" off the OEM spring pack. LOTS of turning nuts.

I'll see if I can find my writeup on that...

ETA: Post #82 in my "New Greyhawk 29MV" thread:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-57205-9.html

Turns out I found instructions somewhere back then to state you could adjust them down to 1/4" off the OEM spring pack. SEVERAL other discussions mention contact with Hellwig representatives stating max adjustment was 2", but that they come from Jayco at 4".

Another edit: Post 85 in that thread gives a more detailed writeup including some of the difficulties I encountered.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #9

So this thread brought up a "made you look" moment for me. We are in the last part of a two month road trip (6K miles) and heading home. I have not been terribly impressed with the J-Ride up to this point, but went out and looked at the Hellwig springs. Sure enough, the U-Bolts have 4 or more inches on all 4 of them.

So to understand this thread correctly, I shoul loosen the Jam nuts and tighten these down closer to 2 inches?

I will likely live with it until I get home to avoid breaking something on the road, but that may explain a lot.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #10

If you set the Hellwigs at 3 inches you get an extra 2,750 pounds of support. At 2 inches it gives you 3500 pounds of support. I have mine at 3, but intend to put it at 2 inches. I was more concerned that I felt the leveling jacks we're too low, so I raised them up one bolt hole.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
If you set the Hellwigs at 3 inches you get an extra 2,750 pounds of support. At 2 inches it gives you 3500 pounds of support. I have mine at 3, but intend to put it at 2 inches. I was more concerned that I felt the leveling jacks we're too low, so I raised them up one bolt hole.
Thanks....while I would like more clearance on my jacks, they sometimes reach the end of extension without blocks, so I will probably leave those, but will be adjusting the Hellwigs when I get home.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
Thanks....while I would like more clearance on my jacks, they sometimes reach the end of extension without blocks, so I will probably leave those, but will be adjusting the Hellwigs when I get home.
I use blocks(4x6's), and with a few 2x4's blocks I build it up just to keep the motor and pump run brief. I figure it saves some wear and tear.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #13

I added airbags to my 2016 Greyhawk 31FS. I also added solid steel roller wheels and modified my dump valve location up slightly.

I can now back up my driveway without issues.

I posted pics on the airbag install in my profile.

Hope this helps.

james
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #14

Hi James, that looks like some real nice work you did. I have a 2017 31fs and just wanted to ask you a few questions about your work. What brand airbags is that, what did it cost, did you do the install yourself, does that replace the Hellwigs and does that nice dash setup come with it, and where did you buy it? Is there a model number on that airbag outfit? Those steel rollers are nice, but I'm wondering if the bumper would give way first. Thanks for any info, Don
Old 07-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi James, that looks like some real nice work you did. I have a 2017 31fs and just wanted to ask you a few questions about your work. What brand airbags is that, what did it cost, did you do the install yourself, does that replace the Hellwigs and does that nice dash setup come with it, and where did you buy it? Is there a model number on that airbag outfit? Those steel rollers are nice, but I'm wondering if the bumper would give way first. Thanks for any info, Don
Hi Don,

I used the Firestone kit currently on sale for ~$435:

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...ID=20161011762

I installed this kit myself which took about 2 hours not including the compressor etc. The link above has a video of the install on a 2017 E450 motor-home.

This does not replace the Hellwigs. Nothing is removed.

The steel rollers bolt to the tow hitch and not the bumper. Very sturdy.

Hope this helps,

James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:49 PM   #16

Don’t hesitate, have airbags installed! That and the rear track bar are the best 2 things I ever did to my RedHawk!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #17

New to Class C ..... have Redhawk 24B. Can someone post a photo of where these Helwil helper springs are located? Donna
dragonflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:17 PM   #18

I'm not sure the Redhawks have the Hellwigs. I think they are the Plus (+) in the J ride plus package. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:25 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm not sure the Redhawks have the Hellwigs. I think they are the Plus (+) in the J ride plus package. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe that’s correct, the Hellwig helpers are part of the J-Ride plus package available on Greyhawks.

If you have them, you can see them relatively easily through the wheel well. They are a leaf spring that rides over top of the axle and each end attaches to the OEM leaf pack with U-bolts. They are pretty obvious if they are present.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #20

We have the same model, ours scrapes on everytime we pull in or out of our driveway. I'm afraid it's a fact of life with these long Class C's

Tags
airbags, bumper drag, ground clearance