Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Greyhawk A/V

Can somebody explain to me how the A/V works in a newer year Greyhawk? In Jayco travel trailers there is a head unit and DVD in the trailer for the inside and outside speakers. I don't remember ever seeing something similar in the unit I'm about to purchase.

I could wait to find out the answer this coming Saturday, but I've been thinking about it way too much.

Does the radio and DVD run off the chassis head unit? If it does, does the chassis head unit run off the house battery? That's my big question mark in this; if the only head unit is in the chassis/cab, how do you enjoy it w/o running the battery down?

Am I missing something?
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Chassis radio DVD feeds the coach a/v system and runs off the house battery.
Many have abandoned it for individual systems. I have an individual DVD player at both TV's. At times I will use the chassis head unit for audio for the big tv. In the back we installed a sound bar for the small TV. Only the big TV power outlet can be modified to work while in motion. (simple mod). But to answer your question simply, yes.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

That would explain why the chassis head unit is always on when I was in the coach.

So the chassis head unit runs the coach speakers. Does it have a setting to run the audio out of the actual chassis door speakers? Or do you listen to the radio while underway w/ house speakers running?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

You basically run with audio to all speakers, front and rear. You can adjust them to front or rear, so, there in lies the problem. Whatever you see on the head unit, is sent to the rest of the coach. DVD, Navigation, etc. That is why i separated and installed seperate systems. I turned on the speakers to the tv, which comes set to off in the menu system of the TV from the factory. They dont design them to have the TV operational in motion.

The good thing is, you can customize it however you wish and there is space for the gear.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

Okay I'm starting to get it. So when you hit the speaker switch from inside to outside, it goes from coach and chassis speakers to the two outside speakers only.

I kind of like the idea of the chassis and coach speakers tied together. My kids can never hear the radio in my current rig w/o me blasting my ears off while we're underway.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #6

Outside switch simply turns on the outside speakers. So yes, you will find yourself playing music to the world without your knowledge sometimes.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Oh, it doesn't turn OFF the inside speakers if you click outside?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #8

Yes, but only the back two ceiling ones. The front stays on, so you have to balance with the head unit to only play outside.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #9

Not ideal, but thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #10

There is so much portable technology for audio now, the outside speakers and wiring are almost archaic... We use a JBL Bluetooh sound bar for many purposes. It cost $99 bucks from target and has solved many of our music issues. Again, it can be whatever you want.. Example: When you are playing music thru the outside speakers, you have to adjust the level inside the coach. Even if playing through a bluetooth connected device, the main volume is set inside. So control is not souly in your device. We carry the JBL sound bar outside and control with our phone.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #11

I do have a Big Jambox that I use for sound on my Winnebago. I was hoping the Jayco system would mean I could leave it at home.

I guess I'll see how it goes.