Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #1

Greyhawk broken into - waiting for parts again

Our Greyhawk 29XK was recently broken into. The main damage is a broken rear window. The repair shop says 4-6 weeks to receive the replacement. This is the second time in 9 months we’ve been unable to get on the road and are getting frustrated. At this point, if we could drive to the factory to get it sooner, we would. I’m sure this is not an option, but any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
3BD8597A-8ADF-4C44-9E78-B5763F52DB9C.jpg  
Rozensky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Is it an exit? If not I would be tempted to put plexiglass in it and go camping until the replacement comes in.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #3

They can go directly to the manufacturer, doesn't haven't to come from JAYCO. Problem is RV parts are in very short supply at that level too.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #4

We had to have a window replaced through a window recall. It took a couple months of hounding the dealership then some persistence with Jayco.
TwinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #5

Duct tape and visqueen(?) would suit me if I wanted to go camping.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #6

Have seen several RV windows on eBay at times.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Is it an exit? If not I would be tempted to put plexiglass in it and go camping until the replacement comes in.
X2, I would do that like tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #8

It would not keep me from camping, even if it was an emergency exit window. Small sheet of plywood, screwed to a 1 by, that is on the inside of the camper. Maybe some tape to keep the water out.

You might need a new frame, as I see the pry marks.

Have you checked with a local auto glass shop? They can make a lot of flat glass windows, including tinted tempered glass.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozensky View Post
Our Greyhawk 29XK was recently broken into. The main damage is a broken rear window. The repair shop says 4-6 weeks to receive the replacement. This is the second time in 9 months we’ve been unable to get on the road and are getting frustrated. At this point, if we could drive to the factory to get it sooner, we would. I’m sure this is not an option, but any ideas?
You could ask at your local glass repair shop. They may be able to fix it easily.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Would definitely do this. Any local glass shop can cut you a custom piece of plexiglass. Just make a paper template to give them. At least you can camp while waiting for the window to arrive.
JohnnyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:44 PM   #11

X2 on local glass shop...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #12

These are all definitely good ideas. I guess the fear is that campgrounds might turn us away for being, in their opinion, unsightly. They have those “10 year or older” RV rules, so we weren’t sure how they might respond to a window with a homemade, temporary repair. Thoughts on this? Also trying to avoid spending several hundred dollars on something temporary. Cost ideas of the suggested options?
Old 01-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #13
Site Team

I busted one on a previous camper and had a glass shop cut me a replacement.
It wasn't tempered or safety glass but it worked fine temporarily.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #14

Quote:
These are all definitely good ideas. I guess the fear is that campgrounds might turn us away for being, in their opinion, unsightly. They have those “10 year or older” RV rules, so we weren’t sure how they might respond to a window with a homemade, temporary repair. Thoughts on this? Also trying to avoid spending several hundred dollars on something temporary. Cost ideas of the suggested options?
Sorry this is long winded.

Hard to answer, I would say $0 to $150;
$0,
  • DYI, you already have what you need.
  • $50, DYI, you need to buy key hardware.
  • $150 Hire someone to make parts.
My guess your not handy, so you probably do not have many tools, or the knowledge. If you were my neighbor we could go with the plywood option for no cost (scrap bin items). Could even hit it with some black spray paint, to make it look nicer. Plexiglass, you can buy a (2'x3') sheet at most good DYI shops or amazon, for less than $40. Either option, trace out the shape and cut it with a jig saw (curves) or even a circular saw (straight cuts). Want the edges cleaned up, hit the edges with a sander. A really nice looking DYI, could be done for less than $50. Go to a glass shop or hardware store to cut a piece of plexiglass, you might be in the same price range maybe up to 3x the cost. Typically they charge for glass type and window size (square inches). The biggest issue with both of these methods is how to you secure something like to the opening. I would prefer not to only trust tape to hold it on. I would want to secure the sheet material (located outside the MH), to the inside of the MH with some simple clamps. Clamp would be nothing more than a 1/4 bolt long enough to reach through he sub straight, open window, and then through a piece of 1"x2(??)" piece of wood, across each corner, tighten up the nut, to pull the sub straight up tight to the window frame. Then a piece of say gorilla tape (love hate relationship with this tape) to try to keep the window weather tight.

Another option, probably my preference, which I might not like while driving, would be a piece of black heavy mil plastic sheeting (8+mil). Cut to size slightly smaller than the exterior window frame size, then again apply some black Gorilla tape, to hold it in place. What I do not like about this option is the flapping sound while driving. From a distance it would look a lot like a black tinted window.

Patched right, it is nothing more than a broken window while driving your car. If you are going to one of those RV parks that are particular about older RVs and have rules about them. I see a couple options. Call (better, email) in advance tell them you have a broken window, and a replacement is on order. In the meantime it has a temporary patch. Or arrive, and if they say something, tell them it broke into in route, and did a temporary fix in Home Depot's parking lot until you can get home and have it properly prepared.

Personally, if the CG is that strict over a broken window, you probably would never find me there. I do believe a CG should keep a nice appearance, but accidents do happen, and it is just a broken window, and not a rundown coach.

Question, have you spoken to your insurance company, and let them know how long it will take to get the replacement window, and you are concerned about keeping the unit secure and weather tight. On houses, most insurance companies will pay for temporary repairs. Not sure on a MH.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #15
Site Team

I don't think that is worth worrying about to much. If they did not want me in a cg because I had a broken window, I likely would not want to stay there.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #16

Quote:

A piece of plexiglass about 24 x 24, 1/8" thick, would cost about $30. I used to work at a Glass and Mirror shop back in High School. We did all kinds of custom glass and plexi work.

I would suggest something like this (see image link):
https://ibb.co/cLGtQjx

Have the glass shop cut the piece to your paper template. Then drill 4 holes to mount a couple of wood strips that would be braced on the inside. The inside strips DON'T need to be screwed into the frame, just held up there by someone inside the coach until you get the screws in. Just a suggestion but it would seal and look ok until the new window came.
JohnnyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #17

The repair shop sealed the window with an adhesive plastic covering. That, along with a quick DIY cardboard and black plastic “privacy window” is what we’re rolling with. DH did not want to spend the money and go fancy. Oh well, it works. Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
6B72ACA1-C256-4837-BCE6-AA81394D7A87.jpg  
Old 01-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #18

Quote:
I busted one on a previous camper and had a glass shop cut me a replacement.
It wasn't tempered or safety glass but it worked fine temporarily.
Just FYI for everyone, I have used Binswanger before and perhaps not all, but the one I used can cut any flat piece of glass and in any style. Tempered, laminated, tinted, or just regular glass. What they needed from me was enough pieces of the old glass in order to make the pattern and also to know the thickness needed. I have used them not only for RV glass but also for some heavy equipment windshields (where I used laminated glass). The prices were roughly half of what the oem dealers wanted and a perfect fit in my experiences. ~CA
Old 01-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #19

Can't cut tempered glass, need to cut first then temper.
At least that's the way I understand it.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB12 View Post
Can't cut tempered glass, need to cut first then temper.
At least that's the way I understand it.
PaulB12
You are correct, I should have worded my comment differently, however they did just that. They cut the glass and then they tempered it... and I was very happy. ~CA