Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

Greyhawk Coming

I have never owned a Class C MH before but I ordered a Greyhawk 29MV about two weeks ago which will be here supposedly around the first of June. I ordered the front entertaiment and the wheel options along with the new Summer Breeze paint. (think thats what they call it)

Anyway I am working on installing base plates, lights and and SMI break system on a 2015 Canyon pickup that I plan on towing.

I have previously owned a Class A Dp and three 5th wheels so do not have any experience with a Class C and will have a lot to learn I am sure. One or two things I have questions about if you guys can expand on a little I would sure appreciate it. Will this MH do a decent job in the mountains towing the canyon. I am not concerned about leading the pack over the passes----just want to get over and down safely. Just your thoughts in general about using this rig in the mountains. Also I have been cautioned to watch out for the tail dragging on dips---is this a big problem with the C?

Any tips and/or suggestions of things to be aware of while driving a Class C will help a lot.

Thanks
Titleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

In all likelihood it is on a Ford E350 or E450 chassis. As such, it appears these units are being delivered to the end user with too little front end +caster for highway driving.

The symptoms of not having enough +caster are loose steering and excessive wandering AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS.

Jayco appears to be receptive to cover the cost of a front end alignment to correct this condition where applicable, assuming you can find an alignment shop who are aware of same.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:51 AM   #3

Tail Dragging

I can confirm the tail dragging can be an issue to watch out for. We came down a hill in a residential neighbourhood last fall trying to get into our campground and I heard a hideous thump and grinding from the back end.

When I inspected for damage, I was lucky the hitch for the toad was the low point and it took the hit. I grinded a nice new flat spot in the bottom of the hitch but was otherwise ok.

Now to be fair my hitch set up required a 2" drop so it is both low and long. Towing a Canyon, I suspect you will need a raise on the hitch so you should have more clearance then me.

As for the Mountains... I had mine in the Smokies last October and had no problems at all. But my Toad is half the weight of yours so others will give better advice on performance.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
WDW

Congratulations on your choice. It's a nice and popular unit. You should read the strand on the helper spring. We adjusted ours (when we had an (FK) and that combined with a well done front end alignment made it drive like an SUV! I would consider adding a Super Steer unit to firm up the handling.

Good luck!

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Many thanks to all who have replied.. Do any of you guys or gals tow a GMC Canyon. If so please chime in and tell me your thoughts on how it tows.

Also would like to hear any opinions on the Jride Plus.

Thanks again.
Titleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #6

We can also say that it is very easy to drag the hitch. We did so pulling into a gas station with a sharp grade change in their driveway. It does make a hideous grinding noise.

It is also not difficult to drag one of the Bigfoot leveler pads if, for example, you drop one of the rear duals into a very depressed storm inlet grate. That has the potential for being a very expensive drag. We were lucky.

Both of the above we're learning experiences which make us much more cautious when encountering a dip, a sharp crown or an abrupt grade change.

Congratulations on your Greyhawk. We've had ours about twenty months and used it over eighty-some nights. Just pulled into home tonight after eight nights using it to visit our daughter's family in Nashville. We have been very happy with ours.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:52 AM   #7

Levellers fixed

I will add to NCROAMER's comments about the levellers... Measure their height from the ground during your PDI... My rears were installed on the wrong set of holes and were only 6 inches off the ground. If I recall correctly the manufacturer specs are 7-8 inches. The dealer repaired mine under warranty no questions asked.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
I will add to NCROAMER's comments about the levellers... Measure their height from the ground during your PDI... My rears were installed on the wrong set of holes and were only 6 inches off the ground. If I recall correctly the manufacturer specs are 7-8 inches. The dealer repaired mine under warranty no questions asked.
After reading an earlier thread about some Bigfoot levelers being installed too low, I had checked ours and they were correct. Even so, we still managed to drag one (lightly thank goodness).

I remember being warned by the Cruise America rep when we rented a class C in the mid 90s that the insurance did not cover damage below the bumpers. Class C's have a lot of low hanging components.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #9

I bought the same unit today at a dealer next to the Jayco Factory in Middlebury, In. They were pushing them out to get room for 2017 model. Got good price on it. Only 9 miles on it. Pick it up in a week. Good luck with yours, enjoy.
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #10

When we purchased the Greyhawk 29MV, we also chose to tow a Subaru Forester (manual Trans). The Subaru TOAD has an eight inch clearance so hitching it to the 29MV is straight forward to the coach bumper. It makes for a very simple towing unit (3300 lbs). Subaru indicated that this car as a TOAD does not create any warranty ...... period ..... It handles very well behind the coach.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #11

I have a 31ss greyhawk I love it of course I drove a discovery a class dp and I rather that but the c class I have isn't that much different it does have a v-10 which had enough power to climb hills I have no issues with power
Karl06greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #12

I have a C. Class Greyhawk I love it has no problems with power I have plenty of power I do rather the way a dp drives. I have driven a classes also A classes seem to handle down and have a better ride but the C class is good enough for me right now 34 years old I enjoy traveling but even still we going to need a little more room seeing we just had a little baby girl plus we already have a boy also you have to just be Careful driving steep slopes could you will have a few issues with the bottom hitting I never go down steep slopes but my uncle has already messed up his pipes on his motorhome at one time going down the steep slopes and he had a C class
Karl06greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote