Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

Greyhawk engine pings when accelarating

I own a 2018 greyhawk 29me. Very pleased with it. However I'm having this pinging noise coming from the engine bay when step on gas pedal. Once I reach cruising speeds it goes away but otherwise it seems constant as far as I'm accelarating. Took it to Ford dealer and mechanic jumped in cab with me and went for aride. He too heard noise and stated noise could be coming from the engine shield and that it could originate just about anywhere in the engine bay and wasn't sure if this would be covered under Ford warranty. Well didn't feel like arguing with the guy then but he got my message of displeasure. I'm not giving in yet since I only have just over 6K on unit and will contact Ford if needed. Anyhow my question to y'all is - Could this be an engine problem or loose shield as the mechanic said around the engine bay. Comments welcome. Thanks in advance
Enrique 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Team

If you're buying 87 octane fuel, the next time you fill up, get 89 octane or better, and see if the pinging subsides. Heat shields usually sound like a tinny rattle.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #3

It sounds like engine knock due to using too low an octane fuel. I would fill with premium fuel (usually 92) next fill up. If it goes away you know that is the problem. You can then come down to a mid-grade octane. If it comes back then you need premium. If it still knocks using premium fuel, it could also be the engine computer is not adjusting the timing correctly. You will then need to take it to a good mechanic. If it is engine knock due to fuel, it can damage the engine in the long run so, if a higher octane solves the problem, make sure that is what you use.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

Thanks. I was sorta leaning that way and planning to fill up with premium next time to see if there's an improvement. It really sounds like I have a cricket chirping under the hood when accelarating. I have just tucked RV in for winter. But first trip next year I will start using premium gas. Thanks again for your tip
Old 12-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #5

Following. I have a similar noise in my rig. Fairly intermittent, not 100% re-produceable. Only happens under heavy engine load.

But then I also have a CEL for an emission-related item I can't quite nail down. But that's likely going to be the gas cap or an evap solenoid. No discernible performance degradation after CEL or presence of noise.

I would take it to my local Ford dealership, but they're not very good (being nice here), and I haven't had time since I discovered it.

We had an old Suburban that had a similar noise, and my dad (career mechanic) always said it was just something rattling against a manifold. My rig and I will be visiting my dad over the holidays, so I may have him help me trouble-shoot the light and maybe the noise too. His last position was managing maintenance on fleets of commercial rigs, so he has just a little experience with this stuff....

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #6

Camper_Bob if your Dad is able to diagnose origin of noise, please post report so anyone having this issue could benefit from it in this forum. Thanks a bunch
Old 12-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique 1954 View Post
Thanks. I was sorta leaning that way and planning to fill up with premium next time to see if there's an improvement. It really sounds like I have a cricket chirping under the hood when accelarating. I have just tucked RV in for winter. But first trip next year I will start using premium gas. Thanks again for your tip
Sounds like it may be too late for this suggestion, but...we always fill with ethanol free [E0] premium fuel before storing, running the genset and motor to get it in the system. Saves gum and rust problems from surfacing in the spring. Ethanol [i.e. food products] is not your friend in fuels!
Old 12-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1720v331RV View Post
Sounds like it may be too late for this suggestion, but...we always fill with ethanol free [E0] premium fuel before storing, running the genset and motor to get it in the system. Saves gum and rust problems from surfacing in the spring. Ethanol [i.e. food products] is not your friend in fuels!

Many places cannot get gas without ethanol due to local EPA requirements. The Phoenix area, for instance switches blends depending upon the season and ethanol is there most all of the time. I use SeaFoam in all gas engines that are stored for any length of time. Probably the best stuff going. I just sold a 9 year old 5th wheel that I kept SeaFoam in for the genny and fuel station and the day I showed it to the new owner, the genny fired up and ran like a top. SeaFoam helps with the ethanol issue that most large metro area vehicles have to deal with.

Sorry, I drew that off topic a bit but the other thing I was going to mention, and it was hit earlier is if the problem is pre-ignition and it sounds like it might be then there is a computer setting that is not correct in the vehicle. Today's vehicles pretty much adjust for lower octane, unless of course it is way to low but the vehicle should run on 87 and not ping.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1720v331RV View Post
Agree that fuel containing ethanol is NOT an engine's best friend. But we don't have readily available access to E0 in my area. The closest station is 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic.

I was geeking out at all the stations that had E0 on a trip through the bread basket earlier this year. It was so weird for fuel WITH ethanol to be the EXCEPTION. And SUPER ironic standing in thousands of acres of corn, with so little corn gas available!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #10

Missouri don't post on their pumps that their gas has corn syrup in it. Huge ethanol plants in Missouri.
Illinois I can get real gas easily.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
Missouri don't post on their pumps that their gas has corn syrup in it. Huge ethanol plants in Missouri.
Illinois I can get real gas easily.
Not positive but I think by Federal Law they are supposed to.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #12

Try looking up Knock Sensor for your E450 V10.
My 2016 has one and never knocks even on 86 octane junk
fuel.
It could be something else making noise.
If it is engine knock it should throw a code for a
faulty sensor..
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #13

You should not be required to run premium fuel in these engines. They are designed for 87 octane. I would not want to pay for premium fuel with the mileage they get. In Southern California premium can be 10-20 cents higher per gallon. Ouch!

Is the engine still under a manufacturer's warranty? Often the emission controls are covered for an extended period and maybe something there is the source of the problem. I know there is a knock sensor on these engines that is suppose to detect the ping and retard the timing to prevent detonation. Maybe it is not doing its job.

If you always buy your gas at the same station you may want to try switching for a test. I have heard this recommendation in the past.

By chance you haven't installed a reprogrammer that gives additional horsepower? These often change the fuel requirement to premium due to the settings they change for the engine.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Not positive but I think by Federal Law they are supposed to.
State Senate passed a bill saying they don't have to as it's a "automatic given" that all gas has corn syrup. The State subsidized the corn syrup plants to help the State's grain farmers.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:24 AM   #15

All good suggestions. I normally add ethanol treatment additive to tank. Have never tried Seafoam though but I Will keep that in mine. I decided to take RV to another Ford dealer to see if they can diagnose noise. Planning trip to Fla end of Jan and then maybe I can find a reputable on my way there or while I'm there. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:33 AM   #16

JimD No I haven't installed a reprogramer in RV. Engine is still original.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
You should not be required to run premium fuel in these engines. They are designed for 87 octane. I would not want to pay for premium fuel with the mileage they get. In Southern California premium can be 10-20 cents higher per gallon. Ouch!

Is the engine still under a manufacturer's warranty? Often the emission controls are covered for an extended period and maybe something there is the source of the problem. I know there is a knock sensor on these engines that is suppose to detect the ping and retard the timing to prevent detonation. Maybe it is not doing its job.

If you always buy your gas at the same station you may want to try switching for a test. I have heard this recommendation in the past.

By chance you haven't installed a reprogrammer that gives additional horsepower? These often change the fuel requirement to premium due to the settings they change for the engine.
They may be designed for it, but you get better performance with better gas. That's not my theory- it's from Ford.

Also note they mention light pinging- and as folks suggested, they say to try new gas. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #18

I always buy from a top tier brand name station. Usually Shell V-Power. I don't mind paying more for the best quality.
I don't cheap out on equipment, engine oil, gas.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #19

Does your noise happen a a certain rpm?

I had a similar issue with my 2017 Greyhawk. At around 2000 rpm, a pinking rocks in a can type noise. Tried higher octane fuel, had the computer checked could not find it.

Took to a truck Ford dealer who deals with RVs all the time. Very helpful guys.

It was fixed when the belt idler was replaced. Seems at that rpm and load the bearings would rattle - guess the idler was not built to specification.

This is on an engine with less than 6000 miles. Ford fixed under warranty no questions. The shop manager stated this is a common issue.
Alvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #20

Take it to another service center, have them check the "error" codes on the ECU. Be sure to tell them you want a print out and "Do Not" flash it. Flashing wil remove any information held in it.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote