Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #21

Hey Jesse, I have one other question that I have been wondering about. How thick is that fiberglass material? Thanks Don
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #22

I wonder about just leaving eternabond or if it's worth going through the hassle of trying to get it fixed. Don't exactly have hours upon hours to go chasing it around if a patch works. I had an axle bent on delivery (took a few hundred miles for tires to wear and notice) on jayco trailer that took 6 months to fix prior to greyhawk. Not sure if it's worth it if entrabond works just the same. If it's a manufacturing defect it has a good chance of happening again as well.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #23

I have a 2015 greyhawk 31fk ,and I believe my roof is some kind of tpo, epdm ?

Has jayco changed the roofs?
Or am I wrong about my roof?
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhawktom View Post
I have a 2015 greyhawk 31fk ,and I believe my roof is some kind of tpo, epdm ?

Has jayco changed the roofs?
Or am I wrong about my roof?
I think TPO generally came after EPDM, but maybe there was a period where they used both.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #25

thanks for the reply, but has jayco now switched to fiberglass on the greyhawks?
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhawktom View Post
thanks for the reply, but has jayco now switched to fiberglass on the greyhawks?
Yes, AFAIK all new Greyhawks come with fiberglass roof.

I don't know what year that started, but it was certainly a selling feature when it came time for us to choose.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #27

On the RedHawks they use rubber and on the greyhawk they use fiberglass staring in 2016.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #28

I can confirm that our 2017 Greyhawk 31FS has a fiberglass roof. Was just up on it this past weekend sweeping off pine needles and pine cones.
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #29

2016 Grayhawk was first grayhawk to have fiberglass roof
We were shopping used 2015 Grayhawk when dealer showed
new model roof. Went with 2016
We have had 4 class Cs of other MFgs all with fiberglass roof.
It is thin compared to our other Roofs.
Keep an eye for cracks on edge radius, I have repaired 2 stress cracks
with fiberglass repair kit.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #30

With the fiberglass roofs, just remember to never step anywhere from the outer edge to 4 inches inward so you don't crack it.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Jayco customer service just advised to take it in to a dealer to have it checked out and they will work with the dealer if any warranty work would be done. I'm not going to do that anytime soon as we have a number of trips planned out for the remainder of the season. 2yr warranty should go through Jan 2020.

I'm hesitant to take it in and have them do any work. You know how any repairs go. The fix one thing and break two others.

Depending on how wide the cracking is I would use either 4"or 6" Eternabond as a temprary fix until you cane get it in to the dealer. That will prevent any moisture intrusion while your're on the road. In any case, it's a good idea to seal all of you seams and caulked areas such such as vents skylights etc. with erternabond as a preventative measure.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #32

repair

I emailed Jayco again about the repair;
1) They confirmed the roof is only covered by the 2yr warranty, not 10yr like a previous post mentioned
2) They advised I can take it anywhere and they'll work with the shop to have them paid. I have to imagine I'll pay and hopefully Jayco pays me back since I won't take it to a dealer.

I'm still up in arms about actually taking it somewhere to get fixed. I had another small 6" crack appear on the same side and put some eternabond on it.

If I get it fixed and there's some quality issue where it keeps cracking I can see getting Jayco to replace the roof. I'm very tempted to just put eternabond on it and leave it. Its so hard to find quality repair that doesn't break something else. If it is a design defect, I could see if completely cracking through though and eternabond won't help that. Then with no repair history I doubt Jayco would consider fixing it since I just 'patched' it.

What would you guys do? Let someone try to fix it or just leave it patched? My inner voice is telling me to just go get it patched during the off season so there is a repair history and if it continues after the repair I have some legroom to stand on with Jayco to get the entire roof replaced.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:38 AM   #33

We have a 2017 Greyhawk 31FS. We had the same cracking on the roof, found it September 2018 (14 months into 2 year warranty). I demanded a new roof. In May 2019, Jayco provided a new roof. No cost to me, my choice of service center. Everything was covered completely under warranty, nothing out of pocket. And yes, other items were broke in the process, but the dealership and I have worked those items out -- they are responsible to correct them according to Jayco.

I demanded that Jayco cover me on the roof and future damages associated with the damaged roof from September 2018 through May 2019; basically telling them that for 9 months I could have experienced unseen damage. I also called them out for a loss of value, if I chose to sell or trade the rig, anyone with a brain in their head could take a look at the warranty history on the unit and see a new roof was installed 23 months into ownership. I even threatened to drive it up to the factory and leave it, that I no longer wanted it, if they were going to tell me I just hit the Jayco lottery with a bad roof. Jayco ultimately only offered me the attached written statement of coverage for an additional six months past the conclusion of my 2 year factory warranty (the date of coverage is wrong in this version, it is extended through the end of this year).

It's better than nothing I suppose. The good news is that we have not seen any cracks, the bad news is the repair work is not factory. Close up inspection reveals amateur hour work. However, I would not have been able to replace the roof, so this is what I was left with.

Good luck! I'd push for a new roof, documented by Jayco, supported by Jayco and parts provided by Jayco. Then as my wife and I plan to do, trade it in for a different brand.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf redacted-Received 05.24.19 --- Assurance letter (002).pdf (134.3 KB, 15 views)
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #34

Thanks for the input
Old 10-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #35

I don't know what kind of roof you have, but if it's fiberglass or membrane, here's a few things that help. The best favor you can do for your motorhome is put it under a metal cover. If you have the room, and can afford it, there is no better protection except indoors. Hail is the enemy of fiberglass, so if the rig happens to be home under cover you dodge a bullet. Never walk near the outer edges of a fiberglass roof. It only has foam support at the radius and easily cracks. Be especially careful of low hanging branches etc that can damage the radius near the edge especially. Always check your shoes for stones before you go up on the roof so you don't damage it. Carry a roll of eternabond tape so that if you damage the roof you can fix it right away. Wash the roof with dish detergent and one of those soft brushes on a stick once per year. While your at it, also check the caulking over every joint. In an RV park, avoid sites with tree's(I know thats hard) but big limbs do fall sometimes. I saw a new Phaeton on Coparts totalled cause a limb a foot wide pierced a 12 inch hole completely through it. If your roof is epdm or tpo there are a gazillion threads here and on RV.net on roof care.