Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #1

greyhawk fiberglass roof cracks

I was cleaning the roof this past weekend and noticed some cracking around the edge of the roof on one side. They are located only on the driver side above the front couch slide and over the bathroom. Over the slide is perhaps 2' and the bathroom 1' Attaching few pics. I put some eternabond over it. I don't have any leaks that I've seen inside but figured I'd go ahead and cover it up. Curious if anyone else has seen anything like this. Rig is only 1.5yrs old.

Thanks-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190615_134138.jpg   IMG_20190615_134132.jpg  

Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #2

I would be over to your dealer to have this looked at asap. Just drive over and at least have them eyeball the situation. A 2 yr. warranty still in effect? Being the roof and being in outside storage hopefully this can be resolved for you very soon.

Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Yep, I second that. I'd be contacting Jayco immediately.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

That cracking is right at the filet radius of the roof. There is no support under that radius. One thing is never walk near the edge of the roof cause it can easily set up a crack like that. I'm not saying you did, but it's an area that needs to be treated carefully. Or just speculating, I wonder if the closing of the slide works that area a bit.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #5

Wondering if fiberglass roofs on the 31FS is now on all of them or was this one an exception? If on all of them now then I guess you really can't walk on the roof.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Dan View Post
Wondering if fiberglass roofs on the 31FS is now on all of them or was this one an exception? If on all of them now then I guess you really can't walk on the roof.
You can walk on the roof, but avoid the area from the outer edge to 4-5 inches inward. Also, check your shoes for stones wedged in the cracks of the soles so you don't damage it that way. Im talking about the sides, not the back.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #7

I don't walk near the side, too concerned about slipping and falling so I doubt I have ever put any pressure near the edge. The MaxxAir vent and a skylight are close the edge where the cracks have appeared, so there's not much room to step even if you tried (and possibly related to the cracks?). I'll contact Jayco customer service and see what they say.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Dan View Post
JAYCO has been using that roof on SENECA's and other models as far back as 2006, if not longer, and it can be walked on without issue. What he has is probably just surface stress cracks. Personally I would not want them to totally remove the entire roof. There are various fiberglass repair kits that would seal that area.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #9

Jayco customer service just advised to take it in to a dealer to have it checked out and they will work with the dealer if any warranty work would be done. I'm not going to do that anytime soon as we have a number of trips planned out for the remainder of the season. 2yr warranty should go through Jan 2020.

I'm hesitant to take it in and have them do any work. You know how any repairs go. The fix one thing and break two others.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #10

Does Jayco use a roof panel with a pre-formed radius or do they bend flat material over the edge of the roof...

Orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote