Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #1

greyhawk fiberglass roof cracks

I was cleaning the roof this past weekend and noticed some cracking around the edge of the roof on one side. They are located only on the driver side above the front couch slide and over the bathroom. Over the slide is perhaps 2' and the bathroom 1' Attaching few pics. I put some eternabond over it. I don't have any leaks that I've seen inside but figured I'd go ahead and cover it up. Curious if anyone else has seen anything like this. Rig is only 1.5yrs old.

Thanks-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190615_134138.jpg   IMG_20190615_134132.jpg  
Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #2

I would be over to your dealer to have this looked at asap. Just drive over and at least have them eyeball the situation. A 2 yr. warranty still in effect? Being the roof and being in outside storage hopefully this can be resolved for you very soon.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Yep, I second that. I'd be contacting Jayco immediately.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

That cracking is right at the filet radius of the roof. There is no support under that radius. One thing is never walk near the edge of the roof cause it can easily set up a crack like that. I'm not saying you did, but it's an area that needs to be treated carefully. Or just speculating, I wonder if the closing of the slide works that area a bit.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #5

Wondering if fiberglass roofs on the 31FS is now on all of them or was this one an exception? If on all of them now then I guess you really can't walk on the roof.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Dan View Post
Wondering if fiberglass roofs on the 31FS is now on all of them or was this one an exception? If on all of them now then I guess you really can't walk on the roof.
You can walk on the roof, but avoid the area from the outer edge to 4-5 inches inward. Also, check your shoes for stones wedged in the cracks of the soles so you don't damage it that way. Im talking about the sides, not the back.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #7

I don't walk near the side, too concerned about slipping and falling so I doubt I have ever put any pressure near the edge. The MaxxAir vent and a skylight are close the edge where the cracks have appeared, so there's not much room to step even if you tried (and possibly related to the cracks?). I'll contact Jayco customer service and see what they say.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
JAYCO has been using that roof on SENECA's and other models as far back as 2006, if not longer, and it can be walked on without issue. What he has is probably just surface stress cracks. Personally I would not want them to totally remove the entire roof. There are various fiberglass repair kits that would seal that area.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #9

Jayco customer service just advised to take it in to a dealer to have it checked out and they will work with the dealer if any warranty work would be done. I'm not going to do that anytime soon as we have a number of trips planned out for the remainder of the season. 2yr warranty should go through Jan 2020.

I'm hesitant to take it in and have them do any work. You know how any repairs go. The fix one thing and break two others.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #10

Does Jayco use a roof panel with a pre-formed radius or do they bend flat material over the edge of the roof...

Orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post

Does Jayco use a roof panel with a pre-formed radius or do they bend flat material over the edge of the roof...

From the pics in this recent post, it looks like they use a foam "radius" under that part of the roof material.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...row-68140.html

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #12

YES!!! Holy cr@p! YES!!!

I'd been biding my time before filling everyone in on my roof ordeal. I had the same cracking on the roof of my 2017 Greyhawk 31FS. Mine was in several locations but most prominently on the radius over the bathroom.

We had the ENTIRE ROOF ASSEMBLY replaced in May of this year. Jayco covered it under warranty.

The short story: I reported it in September 2018 (14 months after we purchased it), spent months back and forth with Jayco and two dealerships (neither had replaced a roof before). I now have a new roof, my 2 year warranty expired two days ago. Jayco has offered an additional 6 month warranty on the roof and anything that comes in contact with the roof.

By you posting a similar issue, makes me believe there is a manufacturing flaw. I'm going to reach out to Jayco again.

Thanks for sharing!
hussieskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:

They bend the flat stock 90 degrees. Fiberglass really doesn't like that. I know that Winnebago had some instances of it popping out of it's recess. If mine goes bad I'm going to do a Flexarmor and be done with it.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
They bend the flat stock 90 degrees. Fiberglass really doesn't like that. I know that Winnebago had some instances of it popping out of it's recess.

Makes no sense when roof panels like this are readily available and used by others ...

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1561632086
Attached Thumbnails
Roof.JPG  
Old 06-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:

Makes no sense when roof panels like this are readily available and used by others ...

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1561632086
I'd be interested in knowing what rig that is, and how thick that roof piece is and what material it is. I was looking at new Bounders once and the salesman said the roof material was 3/8 thick.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing what rig that is.

Long time lurker but only short time member so not sure if it's OK to post other brand info here .... don't want to step on any toes.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #17

Quote:
I would be over to your dealer to have this looked at asap. Just drive over and at least have them eyeball the situation. A 2 yr. warranty still in effect? Being the roof and being in outside storage hopefully this can be resolved for you very soon.
Actually the one piece fiberglass roof on the newer Jayco's has a 10 year warranty, not part of the 2 year. I had a crack in mine and told them they could send out a pro to fix it at my home or I can send the entire unit back to th factory for a new roof, they had it fixed in a week.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Actually the one piece fiberglass roof on the newer Jayco's has a 10 year warranty, not part of the 2 year. I had a crack in mine and told them they could send out a pro to fix it at my home or I can send the entire unit back to th factory for a new roof, they had it fixed in a week.
Exactly what did he do to accomplish this repair. It could help all of us if we're in the same boat someday.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Exactly what did he do to accomplish this repair. It could help all of us if we're in the same boat someday.
He cleaned the area with a non-petrolatum solvent then filled the 6" crack with fiberglass resin, then he cut a patch out of some fiberglass sheeting of the same color and used Marine 5200 vulcanizing adhesive to apply the patch. Very hard to see and bonded to the roof as good as new. I still have 2 18"sq sheets he gave me in case I have any other cracks down the road, 3 years and no problems. I think a worker stepped on the roof radius and cracked it, nothing under there except foam. He did use a heat gun to make the patch soft enough to form to the radius of the roof.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
He cleaned the area with a non-petrolatum solvent then filled the 6" crack with fiberglass resin, then he cut a patch out of some fiberglass sheeting of the same color and used Marine 5200 vulcanizing adhesive to apply the patch. Very hard to see and bonded to the roof as good as new. I still have 2 18"sq sheets he gave me in case I have any other cracks down the road, 3 years and no problems. I think a worker stepped on the roof radius and cracked it, nothing under there except foam. He did use a heat gun to make the patch soft enough to form to the radius of the roof.
Awesome. Thank you so much. I'm gonna print this out and put it in the Jayco folder in my desk. Don