Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

Greyhawk Ford E450 Tire?

My Greyhawk came with no spare and I'd like to carry a spare on the rear but was wondering what rim , are the rims different for the fronts than the dually rims??
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #2

Normally, when it comes to motorhomes and other large vehicle platforms with dual rear wheels, the rims for the back duals are the same rims for the front wheels. "Normally" there are always exceptions.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #3

Spare

You might do what I did (as my dad recommended). Just buy the tire then when the road side assist people come, they can use their equipment to mount up the new tire and you are good to go. Problem with these beasts is you have to have some pretty heavy duty equipment to do a tire change, so my choice this go around is to pay the small amount on my auto policy for assistance. I found a used take-off tire in good shape (for free in this case) which will allow me to limp back to a tire store of my choice rather than pay 3x what they want to charge for a roadside sale (if they even have one in stock).

All that said....I do like the idea of a spare and hate that they don't give you one, but as heavy as these coaches are now, I guess I understand it.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

Get a standard steel rim, it will work on front or rear. Your inside dual is already a steel rim.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

I bought this one. Says E350 but fits E450 as well. The mounted spare weighs in at about 75 lbs. I keep it in the large rear storage compartment in my 31 DS. New Michelin tire and new rim came to just under $300

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #6

Not 100% required to carry a spare, as you can "limp" to the nearest town on only 5/6 tires as long as you swap the flat tire to the rear axle.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Not 100% required to carry a spare, as you can "limp" to the nearest town on only 5/6 tires as long as you swap the flat tire to the rear axle.
Tire manufacturers don't recommend that since the single tire is excessively overloaded.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Tire manufacturers don't recommend that since the single tire is excessively overloaded.

I’ve limped numerous medium and heavy trucks on a single tire after one of the duals failed- I’m never going to sit on the side of the road and wait for a $400 service call because of a tire manufacturer’s recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #9

I have no doubt that it's not "recommended", however it's commonly done. Also, the tire itself is rarely the weak link. Keep speeds way down if you do this, as handling will be much worse.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:57 AM   #10

Greyhawk Ford E450 Tire?

Just something to think about. A spare is approx 75lbs as mentioned above. The motor home has a carrying capacity of about 1300-1500lb? Less water300, propane 50 and two people 300 so about 650-850lb. So the tire eats up about 10% of your capacity. The Boy Scout in me would carry the spare but the desire for family and stuff might make me leave the tire out. Or at least the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #11

Guess it's a personal choice but I would never drive away without a spare. If you travel near and around populated centers of the country it may be ok to just call for a tire service anytime but I can say from experience there are many places where the services are few and far in between especially in trying to get a new tire in a hurry. Some 25-30 yrs back I had this unfortunate problem in the state of Utah where getting a new tire took two days to acquire. Even basic roadside assistance or state police is sometimes a ways off and cannot respond immediately in some western states simply because the populations are small. Plus you will be at the mercy of the tire service to pay whatever they ask because you will be in no position to try and bargain. Bottom line is no spare and I will not travel.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #12

Which is why i carry the tire only. The reality is most rural areas of the US tend to be farm/logging/mining belts where large vehicle service centers are relatively common. A Les Schwab service truck can R&R a tire/rim on the side of the highway quickly and efficiently. I have always been of the same mind as you in the past, and for a travel trailer or personal vehicle still am, but my 85 year old dad who is a retired logger and long haul trucker (and was for 8 years a full timer), told me it wasn't worth the risk trying to change a tire on these large rigs without all the right gear. So...he parks as level and safe as he can, fixes a cup of coffee and waits for the service rig. But....everyone needs to make their own choices here. Good on you for making yours.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #13

I have a 2016 Redhawk and have a fully mounted and balance tire mounted on rear of coach. I do not plan to change it out on the road for the same reasons mentioned. Of course many problems with loss of air are due to nails or small punctures in tread. In this case the tire can be easily repaired. Sometimes there are problems as you know with damaged to the tire wall making a repair unlikely so therefore I want to have a spare ready to mounted by the tire service personnel when they arrived. I have been traveling these roads throughout the country for 40 yrs or more and would rather err on the side of caution. When I initially purchased the unit there was no spare and I informed the dealer there would be no deal without a spare tire, rim and mount. I had that tire issue back n Utah but have known several people over the years who told similar stories and many had ended up paying 2-3 times the cost of a tire simply because it was an emergency. In cases like that you are simply fair game for whatever they state as far as the cost is concerned. It's personal choice but I don't like the risk since I love the back country traveling where things are sparse.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #14

I bought a rim from a fellow JOF member who was upgrading his factory rims for aluminum. Then had a local tire shop mount a new Michelin on it. Right now it is taking up room in my rear storage compartment but someday I hope to hang it between the rear chassis members.

Without it, even if the roadside service contractor doesn’t gouge you on the price of a new tire, you’ll likely have a wait of several days while the new tire is acquired. I took my extra rim to the local tire place on a Friday. They had to get the new tire from their warehouse and it did not arrive until Monday. That would have made for a long weekend “camped” in their parking lot.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #15

Warning!!

Hi Folks
I just received the new wheel found on this thread fro
m Amazon.
It is correct bolt pattern and Diameter but it Hits the Brake Caliper
and will not Turn
Didn't try on rear.
Seller confirmed that E 350 wheel will not work on 2016 E450 RV
They do not have a E450 wheel
Back to the drawing board for a spare rim .
Also a heads up the lugs nut from Aluminum, wheels are not the same as steel wheel
They have a different bevel on them , might work in an emergency
but not long term .
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #16

What year is your E450? I went on a parts site that I entered my vin number and the part number 8C2Z1015G shows it fits my 2009. It appears its the same number that someone posted on here from Amazon? It also states it is steel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews
I too ordered this wheel from Amazon. If that is the case if a front goes flat they can take the dually upfront and spare on back dually.

This was from anothersite also same part#:

STL3872U Ford E350, E450 DRW Wheel Steel #8C2Z1015G
Price: $169.95
Order Online - Free Shipping

Make/Model/Year:

Ford E-450 DRW 2007-2018

Product Specifications:
Product ID: STL3872U
Product: Wheel/Rim
Material: Steel
Style: 4 Hole
Finish: Powder Coat Grey or White
Size: 16x6
Lugs: 8
Bolt Pattern: 6.5 Inch
Indents: 8C241015GA, 8C241015HA
OE Part Number: 8C2Z1015G
Old 02-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #17

This is the site where I entered my VIN for wheel 8C2Z1015G

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...2z-1015-g.html

Fit Note: 6.0 X 16" Steel Wheels - White, With Double Rear Wheels
Production Date: 03/2007-+

Part Info
Part No. 8C2Z-1015-G
Base No. 1007B
Part Description WHEEL ASY

White , Front And Rear
Require Quantity 6
Package Quantity 1
Manufacturer Ford. This genuine Ford part is guaranteed by Ford's factory warranty.

Related Parts
Old 02-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #18

The wheel from Amazon was tried on a 2016 E450.
The Amazon wheel was about, 3/8th of a inch too small
on rib in center.
Just touched the brake caliper when was tightened.
The seller was sure that it would not fit a E450.
Returned it with no problem.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #19

just curious did you enter VIN on this site https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/ and does your wheel come up as 8c2z1015g?
Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #20

Greetings to all. I share your concerns on spare tire.
I just joined this Jayco Forum since we just bought a 2018 Greyhawk 26Y from DeMartini RV......good coach and good dealer. We have been Rvers for many years and have gone the route of pull trailers, 2013 Bighorn 5th wheel, 40ft diesel pusher and 4 gas motorhomes over25 years.
This new 26Y didn't come with a spare, so I bought a new 18x6 eight lug wheel on the internet fo $75 and a new LT225/75R16 from America Tire for $100 out the door. Now looking at ways to mount it underneath the rear. Hopefully will never need it, but after two blowouts on a brand new Bighorn 5th wheel in the desert, I prefer to carry a spare....just a matter of comfort I weigh my rigs and keep tires properly inflated and even put 14 ply tires on that 2013 5th wheel and my last 33ft Monaco gasser.
Best to all of you and glad to be on your forum. I find irv2.com is another good forum with Jayco forum
Paul
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote