Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #1

Greyhawk front end align

After much reading on the forum concerning things that needed to be checked on new class c campers, I wanted to get the front end alignment of our 2015 Greyhawk 31DS looked at. I finally found someone close to our house that had the equipment setup to do it. He said the toe in or something like that was way out and the inside of the tires had actually started to wear. I had always noticed that the steering wheel felt very loose and the camper tended to wander side to side. After the alignment, the steering wheel feels much tighter and the camper handles much better. Not a bad $75 investment.
driwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #2

And there are additional parts in the Ford parts bin that will make it even better still. I had the dealer put them in and got JAYCO to pay for it all, under warranty.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #3

What kind of parts are in the Ford bin? What symptoms did you tell the Ford dealer for them to tell you about these parts?
Old 03-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

Rick I have a brand new '16 Greyhawk that pulls to the right. Taking it in on Thursday for an alignment. It's going to cost me twice as much as what you paid so sounds like you got a great deal.
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #5

I would think that if your camper is that new, Jayco would pay for the alignment. Mine already has 8K miles on it so I figured they wouldn't do anything with that. I would call them anyway, cant hurt. Good luck
Old 03-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #6

You may be right. I know the manual recommends getting an alignment after you have fully loaded the RV for how you use it. I know the dealership did not mention bringing it back for a free alignment and from what I have read it is common to need one initially. For me it is just really inconvenient to take it the hour drive up to Denver and to get it done. More of a convenience issue I guess rather than even worrying about it.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #7

Greyhawks are pretty paunchy to begin with as far as weight. ~2000 pounds of OCCC is pretty darn good for a Greyhawk; I've seen some models with less than 800 pounds !!!

At any rate, when I bought mine last year I had the dealer gas it up fully and put a full load of water in the water tank (my water tank sits over the rear axle). I had him align it as such, and Jayco paid for it.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #8

Yeah, if I could do it all over again I would have made sure it was properly aligned before I picked it up. Lesson learned! Now what I will press them on is this daggone tankless water heater. I've been out once and was not impressed.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

Lots of info here on the tankless. Also look at this:

GSWH-1M (NEW) - Girard Products, LLC |

Watch the video. And if you have a low flow shower head get rid of it. These tankless systems are not for boondocking.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #10

Thanks but I actually have the third generation GSWH-2. I've read up on it. Doesn't seem to be much or any better than the previous models.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #11

Taking my 2016 31FS, with 200 miles on it, in on Monday to have alignment done. Guy on the phone said the camber gets thrown off when the extra weight of the build gets put on the chassis. Will let you know how it went.
P.S. $97.50 to have it done. Not bad!
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #12

Good luck. I just got off the phone with my shop. They told me the camber/caster is so off it will require kits (shims) to get it straightened out. Could be upwards of $450. Cost me $147 to find that out. Contacting the dealership because obviously this is on them. Was just expecting a simple alignment. Very disappointed that they let this unit leave the lot in that bad of shape.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #13

My dealership paid for two alignments to get it right... I used these code words.. "You provided me an unsafe product!" And I did it in writing... Maybe they would have done the work without that push, but with that push there was no question.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #14

Well played Griswald One. I'm optimistic they'll make good on backing their product. How do you like your ME? Don't see as many of us on here a I do the other Greyhawk models.
Colorado Springs, CO
Old 03-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSport View Post
Good luck. I just got off the phone with my shop. They told me the camber/caster is so off it will require kits (shims) to get it straightened out. Could be upwards of $450. Cost me $147 to find that out. Contacting the dealership because obviously this is on them. Was just expecting a simple alignment. Very disappointed that they let this unit leave the lot in that bad of shape.
Call Jayco and tell them you need an alignment on your new 2016 Greyhawk. They will tell you to get it done and they will promptly reimburse you for the cost.

They just reimbursed me for the alignment on our new 2016 Greyhawk 29MV. I had the $275 check in a week. No hassle at all from Jayco!
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #16

I work at the GM truck plant A couple of days a week and we have 5 alignment racks going nonstop but even with the chassis cabs they are aligned as the go out the door with just the cab and chassis.... Add the weight of the motorhome built on the bare chassis and you wonder if they realign afterwards?
Old 03-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #17

It even says in my 2016 Redhawk owners manual that the front end should be aligned after you have fully loaded it for your use.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #18

Ok. So I got the alignment done today on my "brand new" 31FS. The camber was so far out, they had to put a new cam on it that had more adjustment than the stock one. What a difference it made. Drives straight as an arrow and way less wander. However it ended up costing me $200. It amazes me that Jayco would let product leave factory with this kind of defect. It really is a matter of safety after all. Plus, on my way home I noticed that the radio goes out when I put the left turn signal on. I will contact my dealer and see what my options for reimbursment is.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:53 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to alvinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Jeffk View Post
Ok. So I got the alignment done today on my "brand new" 31FS. The camber was so far out, they had to put a new cam on it that had more adjustment than the stock one. What a difference it made. Drives straight as an arrow and way less wander. However it ended up costing me $200. It amazes me that Jayco would let product leave factory with this kind of defect. It really is a matter of safety after all. Plus, on my way home I noticed that the radio goes out when I put the left turn signal on. I will contact my dealer and see what my options for reimbursment is.
It isn't necessary to call your dealer. Contact Bill Isley at Jayco, bill_isley@jayco.com, and he will advise you to send the bill to him for reimbursement. I had my check within a week of sending, great service from Jayco.
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:11 AM   #20

That's what I was looking for Alvinator. Thanks for the contact info.
Colorado Springs, CO