Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #1

Greyhawk fuel tank

2018 Greyhawk FS,,spec sheet says 55 gal gas capacity. How many usable gals do you think I have ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #2

I never ran it out of fuel, but the most I ever filled up at one time was 51.5 Gallons.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
2018 Greyhawk FS,,spec sheet says 55 gal gas capacity. How many usable gals do you think I have ?
With electric fuel pumps inside the tanks now, they rely on the gas to help keep them cool. Running the fuel low won't cause them to fail, but may shorten their lifespan if done on a regular basis over a period of time. If you're able to keep at least about 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank, your pump will love you for it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #4

Another consideration is your generator. I heard it quits when the tank gets to 1/4.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #5

Iv never gone below 1/4 tank due to the Genny not running

I usually fill at half tank= about 3hrs driving, dog usually needs a break anyways by then

I boondock a lot so like to have half tank or more when I land at my spot
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #6

I'm not answering the question but put me in the camp of "I hope I never find out" too. At 8 MPG, 55 gallons will disappear fast out west. If I'm 1/2 tank, on an unknown side road and I see a gas station - I fill it.

With our first RV, I was down to fumes late, late one night. Putting it in neutral coming down the hills, doing everything to stay off the gas. Frantically looking at the phone to find a station. Finally pulled off the road, knowing that if the station was closed, we'd be there for the night. The station was closed, but the pumps were 24 hour.

I put 31.9 gallons in that thing's 32 gallon tank. I don't ever want to cut it that close again.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #7

I think the most I've ever pumped into my tank was 45-50 gallons? It was a STRESSFUL time for me that day. I mean, I didn't "freak out", but I was a little "concerned". Weather was cool that trip, so we weren't running the roof-top AC, so we weren't running the generator.

Anyway, we're usually running the generator, so typically at around 1/2 tank I'm planning my next fuel stop. If there's one convenient at that point, I'll stop. If not, I'll keep going. If I get down to 1/3 tank, my standards slide a little and I start looking pretty hard. At 1/4 tank I'm telling DW not to be surprised if we lose the AC; stopping at next available pump. Getting down to 1/4 tank is somewhat rare, but it DOES happen sometimes.

This is going to get me thinking more regularly about how much fuel I'm putting in though; I typically don't pay much attention to that...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #8

We have run our 2016 low a few times.
Last month i ran 40 miles at 60 mph with fuel light
on. The tank took 49 gals so maybe 6 gals left.
It is not a good idea due fuel pump overheating.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:43 AM   #9

Due to the difficulty of finding a "gas station" with the pumps parallel to the road or one with enough room to maneuver a 32 foot Class C pulling a Chevy Equinox to the pumps and out again, I do not let the tank go below half. Most truck stops have the diesel pumps built so it's easy in and easy out, but they only sell gasoline at the auto pumps which are usually too crowded to get into. There are some TA Truck Stops with RV pumps which I'll happily use if there is one close to my route.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:46 AM   #10

2018 Greyhawk 29MV I've run it down and filled up to 49 gallons. with Generator running. the Generator did not shut down at 1/4 tank.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
2018 Greyhawk 29MV I've run it down and filled up to 49 gallons. with Generator running. the Generator did not shut down at 1/4 tank.
I've seen this mentioned a few times. Even one Seneca owner whose automatic generator malfunctioned and ran the fuel tank completely dry.

This makes me wonder how consistent that is. From what I understand it's the length of the fuel pickup in the tank.

So, I'm curious how often generators actually shut down at 1/4 tank? Or how accurate the fuel gauge is?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-25-2020, 08:22 AM   #12

I have run Generator with fuel light on for tank
Fuel light comes on with 8-10 gallons left
best I can figure.
My last 2 Class C RVs had an external tap on the side of Main
tank for Genset. I don't see anything like that
on the E450.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #13

Quote:

Mine doesn't too.

If the fuel light goes on, I'll kill the generator to give me another mile or too to find a station.

But, nope - my generator keeps running below the supposed 1/4 tank cutoff.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I've seen this mentioned a few times. Even one Seneca owner whose automatic generator malfunctioned and ran the fuel tank completely dry.

This makes me wonder how consistent that is. From what I understand it's the length of the fuel pickup in the tank.

So, I'm curious how often generators actually shut down at 1/4 tank? Or how accurate the fuel gauge is?

I am interested as well. I am not sure what the length of the fuel pick up would have to do with it, I don't think they would of added additional fuel line just to fit an extra gallon in the tank they are much to thrifty to put in anything extra. lol
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #15

Quote:
I am interested as well. I am not sure what the length of the fuel pick up would have to do with it, I don't think they would of added additional fuel line just to fit an extra gallon in the tank they are much to thrifty to put in anything extra. lol
Well, you would think. But perhaps it costs more to actually measure the fuel line when installing the generator? I dunno ... just guessing. From the looks of it, Jayco hasn't been doing that when they install the Cummins generators in these rigs. And it has me wondering if ANYONE has experienced a generator shutdown ahead of the fuel tank being empty?

It's really interesting what manufacturers will do. For example, I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler (YJ). This vehicle came with an optional upgrade from a "15 gallon tank" to a "20 gallon tank". Pretty cool, right? Except that the "Standard 15 gallon tank" involves ADDING a piece of hose to the fuel tank vent to physically limit the amount of fuel that can be pumped into the 20 gallon tank. Every one of those vehicles came with a 20 gallon tank physically installed; the "optional" extra fuel capacity is attained by REMOVING a piece of hose. I just can't figure the logic on that!! It would have been cheaper to just forget the lengthened breather hose and make them all "20 gallon" tanks! But who knows, maybe Chrysler made enough $$ on selling the option to justify the more expensive "standard equipment"...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
the "optional" extra fuel capacity is attained by REMOVING a piece of hose.

There was a famous Nascar driver years ago, that had a reputation for bending the rules. I think he used a ton of "extra" fuel line in the race car to give him an extra lap or three.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
There was a famous Nascar driver years ago, that had a reputation for bending the rules. I think he used a ton of "extra" fuel line in the race car to give him an extra lap or three.
LOL!! Now, THAT's clever!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Smokey Yunick’s Wikipedia page lists this and several other exploits.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote