Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Greyhawk handling

I'm new to RVing, in fact I just picked up my first motorhome, a 2014 Greyhawk 31DS from the dealer yesterday. Driving down the highway it constantly needed steering correction to track a straight line, like it was being blown around by wind. Is this normal?
kevin5203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5203 View Post
I'm new to RVing, in fact I just picked up my first motorhome, a 2014 Greyhawk 31DS from the dealer yesterday. Driving down the highway it constantly needed steering correction to track a straight line, like it was being blown around by wind. Is this normal?
It is that way for me and my 2012 Greyhawk 31DS. When I first bought it (used) I noticed the "wandering" and the guy selling it said that was the way it had been since he bought it new. I didn't find it to be too annoying, but it does require more concentration than a car.
After reading some of the forums here I decided to get a good front wheel alignment from a truck alignment shop just to make sure that was not contributing to the problem. Cost about $120 and they found only two minor maladjustments. I have just had a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer put on ($200 at Amazon, $56 labor at my local auto shop) and that has certainly improved the situation, but it is still not a car. I think I can live with it at this point, but there are other, more expensive steering stabilizers available it you want to try them.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

I had the same problem with my 2014 Greyhawk 31FS. An alignment with the unit fully loaded and a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer. I have the J-Ride package on my unit. I also had air bags added as well which helped stabilize it. The next thing up is to replace the Ford front anti-sway bar with one from Hellwig which is much larger. Bottom line it should be stable but not like a car.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #4

Kevin,

I went through the same problem when we got our '06 Granite Ridge. From my research online it appears to be a common problem with at least 3 solutions (check Camping World and you will see them all). From what I learned, they all seem to correct the problem. I went with the Safe-T-Steer and it has been great. I have attached a thread that addresses the problem and mine and others experiences with it.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ghlight=cdrcos

Good luck,

Joe
2006 Granite Ridge 2900GS
2015 Montana High Country 345RL
cdrcos@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #5

Yep. Normal I'm afraid. We have the 2012 31ds and I have the same issue. My first upgrade will be Hellwig anti-swaybars front and rear. That's supposed to help a lot. Then, if needed, Bilstein shocks. The safe T steer is too expensive to try until I've tried the other things first. For now, HOLD ON TIGHT when the big rigs pass you!

JAson
Old 05-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #6

Wind, direction of the wind, road condition, road crown/slope, even road temperature all effect your Greyhawk's ride down the road. Weight distribution inside the RV also effects the handling/ride. Tire type plays a part.

First of all, you need to understand you are driving an RV that's chassis is loaded to the max, if not a little over. It is also a huge box on wheels. Wind will effect it.

It will never handle like a car. At best it may handle like a loaded 15 passenger van. Which is what the E450 basically is.

If you have all the right components (as included in the J-Ride package) and you have had them adjusted by a professional used to working on RV's, you will be close to the best handling you are going to get. The best way to test this is find a nice flat roadway on a day without wind and see how it tracks. (these days are few)

You have to get used to driving a class c Rv. Sometimes you just need to relax and roll with it. Just remember to give yourself a lot of room to brake or react to things. If weather conditions get bad, and it starts blowing you around, play it safe and stop for a couple hours.

Be safe and enjoy your new rig..
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #7

Greyhawk Handling

I've heard from a few Greyhawk owners that after some upgrades they can actually take their hands off the steering wheel and the rig will track straight down the road. I hope to get mine to that point someday.

Jason
Old 05-31-2014, 07:13 PM   #8

My 2005 has never had that problem. Maybe I am just lucky, and probably have just made the next drive a nightmare.
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #9

First off you are driving a truck not a car, so you have much more to think about and adjust for. Get the unit weighed on all four corners if possible and adjust your loading accordingly. Next download the tire manfacture tire air pressure chart and adjust tire pressure to load. Tire pressure is probably at max sidewall pressure. After some trial and error you should get it dialed in and it will probably handle much better. There is a lot of things to do that don't cost anything. Good luck.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #10

If one was going to replace one of the anti-sway bars, which one first? Front or rear? I would like to do both, but cost is prohibitive. I would like to do both anti-sways, shocks and steering stabilizer. Just think the anti-sway bars are best to start with.

Jason
Old 07-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #11

If you have the J-Ride package you only need to replace the front Ford Sway bar if on the other hand if you don't I would replace the rear one with a large replacement.
New setup:
Old 07-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #12

What does the J-Ride package consist of? I purchased my Greyhawk used and the previous owner did not mention having that package installed.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #13

It's easy to tell. Hellwig helper springs, and sway bar as well as upgraded shocks. Look under your coach and see if you have any extra springs u bolted to the factory Ford springs.
New setup:
Old 07-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #14

plus one for the Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer. I installed it myself.. was very easy to replace. Now Iam not making constant steering adjustments.
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #15

My 05 drives pretty well, but it's all relative.
The first thing to do, even with a new one is get an alignment with the RV at "travel" weight. The weight will affect the alignment geometry. Have them set caster at the higher positive end of the range, this will help with stability. You may need to see a shop that is familiar with commercial trucks. Ford may tell you that this can't be set, but it can via shims.

Be specific that you want a "before" and "after" spec sheet.

See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/e350-...er-158832.html

In terms of sway bars, generally on cars, you do the front first. An overly flat rear can cause worse handling (on a skid pad). But on an RV, I'd do just the opposite.. Mainly due to tail "wag" caused by semis, etc... This is just my opinion. And if you can turn a wrench, you can install a sway bar. You don't need to lift the vehicle, at least not on my 05.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
My 05 drives pretty well, but it's all relative.
The first thing to do, even with a new one is get an alignment with the RV at "travel" weight. The weight will affect the alignment geometry. Have them set caster at the higher positive end of the range, this will help with stability. You may need to see a shop that is familiar with commercial trucks. Ford may tell you that this can't be set, but it can via shims.

Be specific that you want a "before" and "after" spec sheet.

See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/e350-...er-158832.html

In terms of sway bars, generally on cars, you do the front first. An overly flat rear can cause worse handling (on a skid pad). But on an RV, I'd do just the opposite.. Mainly due to tail "wag" caused by semis, etc... This is just my opinion. And if you can turn a wrench, you can install a sway bar. You don't need to lift the vehicle, at least not on my 05.
I was thinking rear also. And yes I can do the install. Doesn't look too tough. Maybe rear sway and a better stabilizer up front.... hmmmmm

Jason
Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #17

I've read that Jayco will cover alignment on new ones under warranty.. But confirm with them first.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote