Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #21

Thanks for your information. I will call them & make appointment.
mcadeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcadeb View Post
Thanks for your information. I will call them & make appointment.
The alignment shop will need to install concentric caster/camber adjustment bushings such as Ingalls 594 bushings. So, make sure they will provide the service before you commit to their alignment.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #23

My 29me is difficult to drive as it appears that the front end floats. Have done the HD front stabilizer, heaver sway bars, and anti-sway pucks”. Will raising the rear springs help add weight to the front? Thanks Tom
mccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #24

What year is your unit and, if under warranty, have you had Jayco do a front end alignment? Many owners on this this site have had Jayco do that.

Are your tires inflated to the maximum shown on the sidewalls? That often helps handling issues.

IMO, raising the rear to add weight to the front end will do little (if anything) fix the floating feeling.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabe View Post
My 29me is difficult to drive as it appears that the front end floats. Have done the HD front stabilizer, heaver sway bars, and anti-sway pucks”. Will raising the rear springs help add weight to the front? Thanks Tom
No, it will not redistribute the weight, but, by making your vehicle more nose down it will reduce the runtime caster. Reducing the caster will not help. You want to add more caster, not less.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 PM   #26

Our 29MV (2018) is a dream to drive. Hubby did install a steering stabilizer but we’ve not yet tested it out. Will do so the week of Christmas.
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
No, it will not redistribute the weight, but, by making your vehicle more nose down it will reduce the runtime caster. Reducing the caster will not help. You want to add more caster, not less.
This is a common misconception. The weight distribution will change depending on rear ride height. Raising the rear will put more weight on the front axle. Whether or not that does positive or negative things for the coach is a different story. Given the way these coaches are engineered and built, I wonder if Jayco actually did their homework on the settings for the Hellwig springs and the front GAWR.

More caster is good to a certain point. Add too much and it becomes hard to steer in low speed situations and has issues returning to center at low speeds.

Video here (weight distribution for ride height comments start around 2:15)

foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #28

My take on the provided video"

Quote from the video: "if you want to lower the weight on a particular corner you lower the height of that corner" and "if you want to raise the weight on a particular corner you raise the height of that corner"

So: If I were to raise the rear I would put more weight on the rear thereby making the front lighter and vice versa...if I want more weight on the front I would LOWER the rear....if that were possible.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #29

I realize this discussion is like the falling elevator or the bee flying in the wind, but here goes.

Given: A 240" x 96" rectangle table on a level surface. One end (rear) of the table weighs 40 pounds (20 pounds each) and the "front" end of the table weighs 20 pounds (10 pounds each).

We place a 0.1 inch shim under the RR table leg. Now the RF weighs 0.0 pounds because it is off the floor so the missing 10 pounds is divided up between the other 3 legs. Yes, the FL now weighs more as a 3 legged table. But, so does the RR and LR weigh more.

Now we place a same sized 0.1 inch shim under the LR table leg. Our weight distribution will return to its original distribution, 20 pounds in the front and 40 pounds in the rear.

Just to finish it off, because the shims used were 0.1 inches thick the nose down angle was only increased by 0.025 Degrees. In other words, the change in the center of gravity was infinitesimal.

JMO
Old 12-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #30

I realize this discussion is like the falling elevator or the bee flying in the wind, but here goes.

Given: A 240" x 96" rectangle table on a level surface. One end (rear) of the table weighs 40 pounds (20 pounds each) and the "front" end of the table weighs 20 pounds (10 pounds each).

We place a 0.1 inch shim under the RR table leg. Now the RF weighs 0.0 pounds because it is off the floor so the missing 10 pounds is divided up between the other 3 legs. Yes, the FL now weighs more as a 3 legged table. But, so does the RR and LR weigh more.

Now we place a same sized 0.1 inch shim under the LR table leg. Our weight distribution will return to its original distribution, 20 pounds in the front and 40 pounds in the rear.

Just to finish it off, because the shims used were 0.1 inches thick the nose down angle was only increased by 0.025 Degrees. In other words, the change in the center of gravity was infinitesimal.

JMO
Old 12-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #31

Sorry, I do not know how to edit and I wish to correct myself. The LR leg of the 3 legged table will also weigh less. So the missing 10 pounds and the lesser weight of the LR will be shared with the FL and RR. My bad.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #32

Something I never did understand, and I read a lot on here about steering stabilizers and anti sway bars, etc. if those were really that helpful, why don’t the RV manufacturers including Jayco, just put them on at the factory? And it makes we wonder what they would say about the necessity of such after market add on's.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky46 View Post
Something I never did understand, and I read a lot on here about steering stabilizers and anti sway bars, etc. if those were really that helpful, why don’t the RV manufacturers including Jayco, just put them on at the factory? And it makes we wonder what they would say about the necessity of such after market add on's.
Here is your answer...

Where do I start. After my front end mechanic, of 30 plus years, got off the floor laughing. I was red faced. He said why didn't you ask me before you ordered this thing. Looks pretty, bright paint, etc. I new better but still wanted to try something to help out on the steering of my 32' MH (2011, 14,200 miles, pulling Honda CRV toad)after reading all the reviews on Amazon. He went ahead, had already checked all the front end and alignment, under PROTEST and installed the "stabilizer", went on in minutes. Now was "the" talk about it. His side was if it was so great then why wouldn't Ford not use it? What better selling point than MH (trucks) with "steering control". I showed him the reviews and he said "would they post "ALL" the bad reviews of something they are selling" NOT. I was going prove him wrong. Took it for a test drive and fooled myself that "it" did improve the handing. But after a 2500 mile trip, he was SOOOO..right. A total waste of money. Call the help line with Roadmaster, OH,I mean ripoff masters to make sure we did everything right. They informed me the "reflex stabilizer" would assist in a emergency blow out by "helping" the steering return to center, likes those advertisements of "up to 100% off" I guess 1% is "up to", that's not what their website says. It's a miracle product. Quoting Roadmaster, you'll never know when a big truck passes, cross winds a gone, potholes no problems, etc. Just BULL POOP!!! There was no improvements in my 32' MH E450. Plus the nylon bushings on the spring end failed in the first 2500 miles. Call Roadmaster and they are sending placements. Really after all the reviews, problems with cross winds, trucks passing, YOU WOULDN'T KNOW IT, not TRUE of my MH. I'm guessing people are fooling themselves that is really is working after spending $325 for nothing. Just plane BULL. Don't waste your money. Very disappointed with Amazon and their reviews. I would "RETURN" this junk but got back home to late to return. Remember you only have 30 days and I got home in 34 days

Our 2018 handles great. I have owned and driven several MH's and they all get blown around some on the highway. The Jayco is no worse and maybe better than the others.

Like others here have said set your tire pressures correctly, empty all your holding tanks and fresh water tank (Fill it minimum for travel and finish filling at last stop before arrival at destination if boondocking) don't overload your MH (load it up with everything you need and take it to the scales. If it's too much leave something at home) yes, have alignment checked (again do this with most everything loaded you plan to travel with) drive 60-65mph and enjoy the trip. Speed increase will decrease handling.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #34

I have noticed in our greyhawk a HUGE difference in driving at 60-62 MPH vs anything higher. Once the vehicle exceeds 62 MPH the handling deteriorates significantly. We had the Safe t plus installed and I do notice better tracking on the rig but its main reason was for the safety function regarding a front tire blow out. I will have this product installed on any RV we own. High winds and 18 Wheelers still require driver correction ( I dont think there is a product on the market that can mitigate that entirely when you are driving a 15k lb + box on wheels). Most of us are in a rush to get to our sites but keeping your speed in check and tires properly inflated will most likely give you the best possible ride. Happy Trails!

2017 Greyhawk 31DS
Blue OX Alpha tow bar
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited
Vergari59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #35

Hi Boz-- I live in West- The closest shop to you, capable of doing a quality alignment on your vehicle (E350/450) is in Salt Lake City. If you would like details you are welcome to PM me.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergari59 View Post
I have noticed in our greyhawk a HUGE difference in driving at 60-62 MPH vs anything higher. Once the vehicle exceeds 62 MPH the handling deteriorates significantly. We had the Safe t plus installed and I do notice better tracking on the rig but its main reason was for the safety function regarding a front tire blow out. I will have this product installed on any RV we own. High winds and 18 Wheelers still require driver correction ( I dont think there is a product on the market that can mitigate that entirely when you are driving a 15k lb + box on wheels). Most of us are in a rush to get to our sites but keeping your speed in check and tires properly inflated will most likely give you the best possible ride. Happy Trails!
I agree. I have the factory installed "J" ride stabilizer and keeping the speed around 60 and the tires properly inflated, I get the best fuel mileage (@8mpg) and handling I can get from a 15K+ GCWR box and towed. You will always have transport truck and crosswind sway effects. I just relax and prepare for it. Enjoy the ride.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #37

Those of you with Greyhawks (at least more modern ones) are already enjoying the benefits of the beefier rear Hellwig sway bar. Trust me on this one, my coach only had the stock Ford bars. The Hellwig makes a difference. I put the rear on mine (and the front while I was at it), and the side to side was definitely improved.

My rig is at the alignment shop ready to be picked up today. I didn't take it to Ford, I took it to a heavy duty spring and truck shop that specializes in things other then cars. I can't wait to see the improvement on my drive home.

Long story short, I believe there ARE benefits to be had by upgrading some suspension components, but I believe there is a diminishing rate of return on them past the basics that Jayco includes in their J Ride Plus. Try driving a stock Ford E450 motorhome w/ nothing beyond what came w/ a FOMOCO label on it and you'll see.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote