Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #1

Greyhawk Headlight upgrade

I searched and only found info for this being done on the Seneca’s.

Has anyone upgraded their bulbs on their Ford E450 headlight assemblies? HID or LED or even just repacking the stock bulbs with better output bulbs for better night time driving? I am picking up our 2018 Greyhawk on Saturday and already getting the mod bug! . But I do hear the stock headlights are pretty bad for night time driving, but sometimes it’s due to the housing not being properly aligned by the Jayco after they have finished assembly of the motorhome.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
I searched and only found info for this being done on the Seneca’s.

Has anyone upgraded their bulbs on their Ford E450 headlight assemblies? HID or LED or even just repacking the stock bulbs with better output bulbs for better night time driving? I am picking up our 2018 Greyhawk on Saturday and already getting the mod bug! . But I do hear the stock headlights are pretty bad for night time driving, but sometimes it’s due to the housing not being properly aligned by the Jayco after they have finished assembly of the motorhome.

I replaced my headlight bulbs with LED lights two years ago, right after using my coach for the first time at night. It made a very big difference and is well worth the small expenditure. It is also an easy installation. The E450 uses H-13 replacements that can be found on Amazon, eBay and many other sites.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
I replaced my headlight bulbs with LED lights two years ago, right after using my coach for the first time at night. It made a very big difference and is well worth the small expenditure. It is also an easy installation. The E450 uses H-13 replacements that can be found on Amazon, eBay and many other sites.
Awesome thanks! Can you give me the brand info you bought.
Thx
Old 10-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Awesome thanks! Can you give me the brand info you bought.
Thx

It was so long ago, I do not remember the brand. I will say that you should purchase ones with the highest lumens with 3 or 4 sided LED mounts within the lighting unit. The more light, the better and brighter they will be. I would not go for the most expensive, either, because from my own personal experience, there is very little difference between brands - sometimes only money. As I said before, look up in Amazon and eBay, read the descriptions and you will educate yourself rather quickly as to the ones you wish to order. I paid less than $25 for mine. I hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

I put Xenons in my Accord - they are excellent quality. They make H13s; if it were me I'd put these in:

https://www.xenondepot.com/H13-HID-K...D-p/xt-h13.htm

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #6

Grapim

Did you do the highs and low beams? No fog lights on this right? I might also add a high power LED kit for the front bumper cut out area.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Grapim

Did you do the highs and low beams? No fog lights on this right? I might also add a high power LED kit for the front bumper cut out area.

Here is a shot of the LED light bar I put in my cut out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4287.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	45090
Old 10-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Here is a shot of the LED light bar I put in my cut out. Attachment 45090
That looks Great [emoji106] Did you need to fabricate a bracket for it or does it come with a built in bracket already. Any info you can send on that would be appreciated!!

I'm gonna research bulbs today and just go with anything i can get by tomorrow so that i can install them on Saturday when I take delivery. I have 1000 miles of driving to do and I'm already blind as a bat at night so hoping the leds will help.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
That looks Great [emoji106] Did you need to fabricate a bracket for it or does it come with a built in bracket already. Any info you can send on that would be appreciated!!

I'm gonna research bulbs today and just go with anything i can get by tomorrow so that i can install them on Saturday when I take delivery. I have 1000 miles of driving to do and I'm already blind as a bat at night so hoping the leds will help.

There is a flat bar with holes already drilled to mount it to. When you purchase a light bar, do so with a bottom, adjustable mounting system, not one mounted on the ends, and you can slide the mounting bolts to meet the two holes in the bar. Then simply tighten them down and wire connect the light. I used a 12V relay and wired it to the battery, and then connected power to the relay from my high beam wire on my headlight. Then connected the light to the relay.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
There is a flat bar with holes already drilled to mount it to. When you purchase a light bar, do so with a bottom, adjustable mounting system, not one mounted on the ends, and you can slide the mounting bolts to meet the two holes in the bar. Then simply tighten them down and wire connect the light. I used a 12V relay and wired it to the battery, and then connected power to the relay from my high beam wire on my headlight. Then connected the light to the relay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4288.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	45091 This is the type mount you want on the light bar. Measure the bumper hole for the length of light bar you want (I think mine is 22”), and go for it.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #11

I recently bought some LED lights to replace the OE..
https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headli.../dp/B07GKCNPD1

Funny thing is, now I can't find the seller selling them for H13 anymore! The power connection didn't fit tight (far enough in) to engage the locking 'clip'. I ended up zip tying them together.

They work good, no issues. You can rotate the light while in the housing to align the LED diodes to the suggested position.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
I recently bought some LED lights to replace the OE..
https://www.amazon.com/HIKARI-Headli.../dp/B07GKCNPD1

Funny thing is, now I can't find the seller selling them for H13 anymore! The power connection didn't fit tight (far enough in) to engage the locking 'clip'. I ended up zip tying them together.

They work good, no issues. You can rotate the light while in the housing to align the LED diodes to the suggested position.
Hard to tell from the photo but huge improvement Click image for larger version

Name:	20181029_190109.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	45196
Old 10-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #13

I'm doing this mod now. Have the RT side pulled completely out. Does the new led bulb get plugged in behind the metal Ford thing. Will it still light up as bright? Never realized that was even there. Lol Click image for larger version

Name:	1540913473197.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	45204
Old 10-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm doing this mod now. Have the RT side pulled completely out. Does the new led bulb get plugged in behind the metal Ford thing. Will it still light up as bright? Never realized that was even there. Lol Attachment 45204

The answer is yes on both counts. I did mine two years ago, and what a positive difference.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #15

How's the glare for on coming traffic? I want to do this mod as well but don't want to blind people.
Indy_Banipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #16

Hi gprapim, would you attach amazon link for light bar? Thanks
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #17

Bulbs are in. Can’t wait to see them at night. Has anyone changed the orange bulbs to clear? LOL. I did this mod on my corvette and looks so much better. The bulbs are clear but they still illuminate yellow but you can’t see them in the housing.

I was going to buy this light bar. I think it will work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CZMXB2CW&psc=1
Old 10-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #18

Quote:
I was going to buy this light bar. I think it will work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...CZMXB2CW&psc=1
I was thinking about the light bar, but that hole is where I step to clean the middle of the windshield.

Also, lots of big bugs on the rad that's behind the hole. I'd guess the light won't impede airflow enough to affect anything, right?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #19

Look like the same one gprapim had
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Link-Off.../dp/B075M8WHZS
qnghiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 AM   #20

Greyhawk Headlight upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnghiem View Post
Hi gprapim, would you attach amazon link for light bar? Thanks

I actually bought mine on eBay and it is a 28” light bar. If you purchase one with the adjustable bottom mounts, it will adjust and fit the holes already available in the mounting plate that is on the Ford chassis. It is a very easy installation and then 28” fits perfectly in the bumper hole. The one I purchased is no longer available, because it is a totally spot beam, and most are a combo beam now, but there are more combo bars there in eBay and are around $50 or so. Hope this helps.