Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Greyhawk House Battery

So I'm finding the 1 house battery limited in storage capacity for 10-14 days a year I boondock.

Has anyone added another battery?

Looking for ideas. Battery compartment is small, looks like 2 of the original batteries won't fit. Will 2 smaller sizes give me better capacity than 1?

Thanks.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

I looked and it looks like the box has room for growth with the proper fabrication skills. This may be one of my first mods. Lots of room between the back of the box and the frame rail.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

Battery I put in my Redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
So I'm finding the 1 house battery limited in storage capacity for 10-14 days a year I boondock.

Has anyone added another battery?

Looking for ideas. Battery compartment is small, looks like 2 of the original batteries won't fit. Will 2 smaller sizes give me better capacity than 1?

Thanks.
The battery in our 2015 Redhawk was not in very good condition at delivery. I knew we were going dry camping for several weeks, so I purchased an AGM battery from SAMs Club, the largest that would fit which was a couple of groups larger than what came in the rig. I did not want another flooded battery so didn't attempt a warranty replacement. The AGM does well, with the 100 watt portable solar panel we bought. I am considering adding a 2nd AGM battery in a nearby storage compartment so I have capacity to watch TV without needing to start the generator. AGM batteries do not need maintenance, and do not need to be vented because they are sealed.

Chuck
2015 26XD Redhawk
Winter Park, FL
myflyertrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #4

Thanks all for the replies.

Is the charger in the Greyhawk or Redhawk rated for AGM's?

My fab skills are not great. Will have to pull it out and see what it looks like.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 04-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #5

Why isn't starting the generator for an hour a day to recharge an option? Not trying to be jerk here but it's already installed on your motorhome for that exact purpose. Unless you are going to places that strictly forbid any running generators, it gives the generator a small workout, charges the battery and is a much cheaper option than buying new batteries, fabricating brackets etc.

That said, on my previous 5th wheel, I had two 6 volt batteries that held a lot of power. I never ran them down to empty. When they started to show 1/3 on the meter, I would run the generator for an hour or two to top them off. If I was unable to run a generator, I would look into solar charging.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #6

Redhawk Charger

Quote:
Thanks all for the replies.

Is the charger in the Greyhawk or Redhawk rated for AGM's?

My fab skills are not great. Will have to pull it out and see what it looks like.
The Power Converter in my Redhawk is a 3 stage charger, which is what you need for an AGM. Mine is made by Progressive Dynamics, but i have a 2015 Redhawk, so your model could be different?

Are you sure your battery is good? Check it with a hydrometer to be sure. I could never get mine into the green, no matter how long I charged it. The voltage of the battery looked OK, just would not charge all the way up. It only takes a couple times of the battery being run all the way down to kill it. The nice thing about the AGM is it does not have to be charged as often when your RV is in storage mode, and it recharges faster.

I am happy but know that most people are not willing to pay the price for the AGM batteries which is nearly double a flooded one.

Chuck
2015 Redhawk
Winter Park, FL
myflyertrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
Why isn't starting the generator for an hour a day to recharge an option? Not trying to be jerk here but it's already installed on your motorhome for that exact purpose. Unless you are going to places that strictly forbid any running generators, it gives the generator a small workout, charges the battery and is a much cheaper option than buying new batteries, fabricating brackets etc.

That said, on my previous 5th wheel, I had two 6 volt batteries that held a lot of power. I never ran them down to empty. When they started to show 1/3 on the meter, I would run the generator for an hour or two to top them off. If I was unable to run a generator, I would look into solar charging.
Agreed, that's what I'm currently doing now, just looking for a way to run the genny less. Also as cheaply as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myflyertrains View Post
The Power Converter in my Redhawk is a 3 stage charger, which is what you need for an AGM. Mine is made by Progressive Dynamics, but i have a 2015 Redhawk, so your model could be different?

Are you sure your battery is good? Check it with a hydrometer to be sure. I could never get mine into the green, no matter how long I charged it. The voltage of the battery looked OK, just would not charge all the way up. It only takes a couple times of the battery being run all the way down to kill it. The nice thing about the AGM is it does not have to be charged as often when your RV is in storage mode, and it recharges faster.

I am happy but know that most people are not willing to pay the price for the AGM batteries which is nearly double a flooded one.

Chuck
2015 Redhawk
Winter Park, FL
Yes not an issue with the battery, we just use a lot of power running the tv, dvd and wifi. Not sure what charger is in the Greyhawk, will check and see.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 04-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post

If I may, what is your interpretation of empty? The other thing is, those wonderful LED battery level display lights that come standard in the TT for the battery status are as reliable as the black and gray water tank sensors output. On a good day, on my display, when the (Good) LED goes out the voltage is right around 12.1 volts. Which is very close to the 50% level (12VDC) limit for a properly maintained battery level. The (Fair) goes out around 11.5VDC, which is well below the acceptable 50% battery level. So if you follow the LED's output your battery life will be reduced. Granted, there are probably no two TT battery monitors that will give you an accurate reading, but a good rule of thumb would be when the (Good) LED goes out, it is time to start thinking about shutting down the loads on the battery(s).

In my opinion, trust the battery monitor as much as you trust the water level sensors. In my case the water levels are always 2/3 or Full, even after the dump.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #9

Here's what I did to add an additional battery

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...%26amp%3Blucky
Old 04-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave&Lucky View Post
Here's what I did to add an additional battery

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...%26amp%3Blucky
Yes I remember reading that. I don't the ability to fab one, do you have the specs for the tray?

I'm also thinking of modijying the existing tray to hold 2 or replace it with a new sliding tray.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Old 04-19-2015, 06:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes I remember reading that. I don't the ability to fab one, do you have the specs for the tray?

I'm also thinking of modijying the existing tray to hold 2 or replace it with a new sliding tray.
I do not have the secs for the tray. I purchased a plastic battery tray off ebay and had the metal frame built to size. Our unit is in storage but, I can measure it one day next week if you like.

I had no idea you could replace the the existing tray with one that holds two batteries. Seems like a good option.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:43 PM   #12

I did a mod on my 2004 31SS that I saw on another site. The person spent about 1200 dollars total. I was able get the frame made for 150 and bought the sliding tray that will hold up to 250LBS for $150. Bought a new access door on ebay for $85. Luckily I am real handy and was able to complete most of the work myself. Going to install additional batteries and larger inverter when other projects are finished. Original battery tray would only hold 1 battery.
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

Adding a battery has been the best improvement we have made.
We have a 2016 31D/S Greyhawk and we used the empty compartment
just in front of the Battery box.
Simply put battery in empty storage box, used a hole saw and ran 2 cables to
new battery.
I did add some reinforcements along flange and put straps under box .
I may add a third battery in area behind left rear wheel .
This unit has 1000 watt inverter but needs heavy cables added to take advantage of the full power.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:29 PM   #14

My previous 5er was a sierra. From the dealer it came with the basic Interstate rv/marine battery. As far as power, it didn't last very long before it would die. I did the same thing as a previous post, went to Sam's Club and got a Duracell AGM battery in a 31 series. It's about 1/3 bigger in size and packs 2x more power or more. When I traded in the piece of junk and bought my Northpoint, I took the battery with me and put it in. Nice thing with AGM batteries is you don't need a sealed and vented battery box and didn't need a tray either. Should make one though. Mine has a nice shelf for the battery to sit in and a strap to hold it in. The shelf is large enough I could put another one in there, but we don't do any boondocking like some of you folks do. Yes, it was like $180 but considering the cost of 2 of the Interstate batteries, I think it was a wash.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #15

Hey Katiedog! We have the same unit you do and I was wondering about adding a battery as well. Could you post some pics or pic of the reinforcement you did and the straps too? Also did you add another 12 volt or did you replace house batteries with 2 6volt batteries. I did that with my fiver that I had but those 6 volt batteries are very heavy and for me I think I would do all right by hooking 2 12 volt batteries and using the gen set for power if needed and I don't do enough dry camping to warrant the 6 volt battery change over in my mind but that is another story. Anyway could you post some pics or send them to me in a message. Thanks, bill
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fivers View Post
Hey Katiedog! We have the same unit you do and I was wondering about adding a battery as well. Could you post some pics or pic of the reinforcement you did and the straps too? Also did you add another 12 volt or did you replace house batteries with 2 6volt batteries. I did that with my fiver that I had but those 6 volt batteries are very heavy and for me I think I would do all right by hooking 2 12 volt batteries and using the gen set for power if needed and I don't do enough dry camping to warrant the 6 volt battery change over in my mind but that is another story. Anyway could you post some pics or send them to me in a message. Thanks, bill
Hi Folks
I put a AGM group 27 battery in the spare compartment.
I used heavy pipe strap material, and ran it from the frame studs on each side.Just slip it over studs and added a nut to tighten it up.
I also used some light steel brackets normally used in 2x4 wood projects
to add strength to the compartment.
I ran the the 2 cables through 1 inch holes and added 2 more hole on the other side for ventilation.
You will need to come up with a hold down strap fo the battery.
I used a ratchet strap but i could have used some 2x2 wood to hold it in place.
Hope this gives you an idea on how we did the mod.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #17

Adding second battery to Greyhawk 31DS

Bought our 2013 Greyhawk used last July. I came with a new Exide group 27 AGM dual purpose battery. On our first long trip, it would not last half the night at a rest stop with only a few lights and the propane heater running. Took the battery in to Camping World last week. They graciously replaced with with an Exide group 27 AGM deep cycle battery at no charge.

But, we are only talking 105 ampere-hours. So I have an appointment with CW this Friday to have them install a second identical battery hooked up in parallel. I will let you know how they recommend installing the second battery. If I were at home with all my tools, I would probably install the second battery myself in the cabinet just forward of the original battery door. But, I would prefer to continue our trip with adequate house power for overnight at least.

In our old travel trailer, we had two Interstate wet cell golf cart batteries. They lasted nine years and we never ran out of power over night or even over a couple of days of dry camping. I was religious about topping off the water and always kept the trailer hooked up to shore power to run the house battery charger.

If my new 12 volt parallel set up does not last, I think I will replace the pair of Exides with a par of AGM golf cart batteries hooked up in series.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #18

NW Bob, do let us know what you sort out. We have a 2011 31 DS. When replacing the house battery this summer there just didn't look to be enough headroom to put 6 volt versions in there with out lowering the battery tray.

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Bob View Post
So I have an appointment with CW this Friday to have them install a second identical battery hooked up in parallel. I will let you know how they recommend installing the second battery.
yes! please do!

There's clearly only room for one in the battery slideout in our 2016 31FK. But I'm also surprised you couldn't last the night.

I don't think we've pushed our single Group 27 that hard in the winter, as I try to find shore electric when winter camping. But still, not being able to last a night is disappointing.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #20

Added second house battery to Jayco 31DS

Okay. I added a second house battery to our 2013 Jayco 31DS. I had it done at Camping World in Valencia CA. They put the second Exide group 27 AGM deep cycle battery in the small compartment just forward of the battery compartment. They connected the second battery in parallel with #6 wire. I would have preferred maybe #4 or #2 wire. But, they said #6 is what they usually use. So far, so good. I can at least make it through the night with the heater running in 38 degree weather.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote