Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

Greyhawk in dash radio problem

I purchased a new 2020, 29MV Greyhawk and am wondering if anyone has the same problem as I have. I have a Sound Stream in dash radio m/n- VRN-65HXBRP. I also have side and rear cameras that come on the screen of the radio when they are activated. When the radio is off and I activate one of the blinkers or put the motorhome in reverse the radio will come on and play music. When I turn the blinker off or put the motorhome back in drive the music will stop. This is very annoying as it happens every time. I have been to the dealer with this problem and they tell me that its normal for this radio to do this. I contacted Jayco and they told me that they have not heard of this situation before and suggested that I take the motorhome back to the dealer. I know what the dealer is going to say and they are going to tell me the same thing. Can anyone help me with this? I have had many motorhomes in the past with cameras and have never had this problem.
Hoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #2

I have a 2019 29MVP and it does the same thing. The radio and GPS is worthless anyway.
wmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #3

Maybe when you have the radio on, and want to turn it off, turn the volume all the way down first and in that way, when you are not using it and turn on the turn signals, although the radio will come on, it will not make any sound. Just sayin’.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #4

The radio (head unit) will come on whenever the cameras are activated. The advice to turn the volume down is valid. Otherwise, keep the unit on since it will come on anyway. Mine will turn on whenever I go into reverse, after a few seconds go by. The GPS in SoundStream is useless.
Shadowchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowchaser View Post
The radio (head unit) will come on whenever the cameras are activated. The advice to turn the volume down is valid. Otherwise, keep the unit on since it will come on anyway. Mine will turn on whenever I go into reverse, after a few seconds go by. The GPS in SoundStream is useless.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that there has ever been one, no matter what make they use, that works flawlessly, or ever really well. Mine is a Jensen, in my 2017 GreyHawk, and I disconnected the mirror cameras because they are worthless to use and my mirrors do a much better job. The rear camera is not clear, and mostly useless. I installed an aftermarket wifi rear camera that will work for backing up and also while going down the road as a rear view mirror. The radio and GPS are just okay, at best. It works well enough so that I don’t have to try to get another brand hooked up to work within the parameters of what Jayco wired it up to do. So, it is something I can live with. Good luck with yours and its idiosyncrasies.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmurphy View Post
I have a 2019 29MVP and it does the same thing. The radio and GPS is worthless anyway.
Mine does the same thing, it's just how they are designed/wired. I agree, it is a little weird, when you have the radio off, and the cameras come on you get music too until the cameras turn off.

I also hate the delay, I only have the rear camera, and it takes multiple seconds to come on, by that point, I've already backed up 5 - 10 feet...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #7

I think it's how they wire them in. We have gremlins in our 2016 Jayco Greyhawk RV that is parked in our driveway and plugged into shore power. I can go out there to just check on the RV and the radio will be on. Strange and frustrating.
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:38 AM   #8

Just as an FYI- the delay from them coming on is the head unit, not the camera themselves. The cameras come on instantly with my replacement stereo.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
Just as an FYI- the delay from them coming on is the head unit, not the camera themselves. The cameras come on instantly with my replacement stereo.
What did you replace it with? Did you lose any functions?
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndsommer40 View Post
What did you replace it with? Did you lose any functions?
I replaced it with a Kenwood DNX875S, which is now discontinued. Every single thing that worked before works now. DVD, tv though the radio, GPS, back up camera, outside speakers and it added a few, apple car play, in my case. However, the DNX995S has also been discontinued and you can get that for a pretty awesome price right now- $650 or so versus the $1,200 when it first came out. I would also suggest getting it profesionally installed as it's a bit of an advanced install. Sure, if you have a weekend to kill, you can do it, but for me, I happily spent money to have it done in 3 hours.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #11

That would be my problem. It would need to be a diy installation. I've done numerous car/truck radio swaps. Usually buy the matching plug/harness kit and I was good to go. Never tackled one like this. I have a real hard time cutting wires and I'm sure there would be plenty with this.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #12

Yes, I am pretty skilled in doing them, have done quite a few, but much easier to let the pros do it. It's wired weird back there. The speakers, though, are really easy if you choose to change them out.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #13

wrong date on trip monitor

I have a soundstream VRN 65HXBRP and the date on the trip monitor is the year 2000. Both soundstream and naviextras are unable to change it. Anyone else have this issue
gypsiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsiebob View Post
I have a soundstream VRN 65HXBRP and the date on the trip monitor is the year 2000. Both soundstream and naviextras are unable to change it. Anyone else have this issue
I would suggest two things- first, make sure the GPS clock is on. Go to main setup>General>GPS Clock and turn it on.

If that doesn’t work, next I would do a complete factory reset. To do that, go to main setup>General>EEPROM reset. Keep in mind this will erase every setting.

If neither of those work, I would reach out to Jayco for a replacement. They really need to know how bad these radios really are.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel3359 View Post
I think it's how they wire them in. We have gremlins in our 2016 Jayco Greyhawk RV that is parked in our driveway and plugged into shore power. I can go out there to just check on the RV and the radio will be on. Strange and frustrating.

Do you have the Jensen radio like we do in our 2016 Greyhawk? I too have noticed the radio pops on.

On ours, it'll come on:
- if there's a severe weather alert (can be disabled)
- if the master power switch goes from off to on
- if I disconnect/reconnect the chassis battery
Old 10-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #16

Our radio does the same thing if it is off, and you turn on a blinker or back up.

Jayco just needs to find a better head unit for these RV's.

Todd
Texas is currently home
Tockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #17

If you want a radio that 100% compatible, take a look at the KENWOOD DNX995S. You can find one for $650 or so. This is a $1,400 radio top of the line radio. So why is it so cheap? It’s last years model. I picked mine up from Sounds of Tri-State. You can find it a little cheaper, but SOTS is an official KENWOOD dealer, which is important if you need the 2 year warranty. It has nav, which is important to me because a lot of the places I go there is no phone coverage. It’s XM radio ready- If you want that you’d need a tuner and antenna. It does Bluetooth, HD radio, aux input from the TV, and can play DVDs, albeit SD only. It also adds wired CarPlay and wired/wireless android auto. It ‘s glass touchscreen versus pressure. It has two camera inputs, but the Soundstream only had one, so there is some sort of switcher in the RV if you have side mirror cameras. Finally it has an HD screen that has a ton of tilting angles.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #18

Sound Stream radio problem

I talked to Sound Stream yesterday and the tech told me that he has heard of this problem and told me that there might be fix for this and this situation should not happen. He was going to talk to another tech who was more familiar with Sound Stream products and call me back. He mentioned something about a firmware update
Hoss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss45 View Post
I talked to Sound Stream yesterday and the tech told me that he has heard of this problem and told me that there might be fix for this and this situation should not happen. He was going to talk to another tech who was more familiar with Sound Stream products and call me back. He mentioned something about a firmware update
I made a video of the firmware that’s on their site. But it’s more for GPS versus cameras.

https://youtu.be/iEPMrrRFtQY
Old 10-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #20

2015 Grayhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss45 View Post
I purchased a new 2020, 29MV Greyhawk and am wondering if anyone has the same problem as I have. I have a Sound Stream in dash radio m/n- VRN-65HXBRP. I also have side and rear cameras that come on the screen of the radio when they are activated. When the radio is off and I activate one of the blinkers or put the motorhome in reverse the radio will come on and play music. When I turn the blinker off or put the motorhome back in drive the music will stop. This is very annoying as it happens every time. I have been to the dealer with this problem and they tell me that its normal for this radio to do this. I contacted Jayco and they told me that they have not heard of this situation before and suggested that I take the motorhome back to the dealer. I know what the dealer is going to say and they are going to tell me the same thing. Can anyone help me with this? I have had many motorhomes in the past with cameras and have never had this problem.

I've had the same issue since day one when I picked it up in January of 2015. Brought it back to the dealer several times. That was a waste of time. It went back at least three times. And then I was sent to go on my own to Best Buy. They're the installed the Bluetooth mic, which they forgot at the factory. Eventually warranty expired and then I contacted the Jensen company themselves and explain the problem. They were incredibly helpful and sent a replacement which has been flawless. If I was anyone I would go directly to the radio manufacturing company and just do it yourself replace it. plug & play. Good luck
chevyman30 is offline   Reply With Quote