Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #21

I tried the energizer lithium batteries and still it doesn’t work. So we either replace the keyless entry or use the key .Bauer said the new entry system is around $220 with the 20 percent discount. We’ll probably just use the key. No problem.
tfmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmarsh View Post
I tried the energizer lithium batteries and still it doesn’t work. So we either replace the keyless entry or use the key .Bauer said the new entry system is around $220 with the 20 percent discount. We’ll probably just use the key. No problem.
No warranty? How long is the Bauer warranty on that unit? Even though your Jayco warranty is up (most likely), the LCI/Bauer warranty may still be in effect?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #23

I called Bauer last week she told me it was not under warranty I could get a new one for 20% off which is about $220. She said the Duracell batteries I was using probably ruined the electronics I think that’s BS.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #24

Quote:
I called Bauer last week she told me it was not under warranty I could get a new one for 20% off which is about $220. She said the Duracell batteries I was using probably ruined the electronics I think that’s BS.
So, nowhere in the documentation could I find a length of warranty term, just that there is a "limited warranty" on Bauer locks.

Also, while Bauer recommends the use of Energizer batteries in their locks (linked in their online product listing), they do not include this information in the printed instructions for the product. The only thing it says in the instructions is "we do not recommend the use of zinc carbon batteries in this application". Energizers are recommended over Duracells (again, NOT in the printed documentation, but through a link on their website) because Duracells tend to be more prone to leaking.

I would make the argument that there is no way (in the absence of a leaky or corroded battery) that the batteries could have reasonably caused the failure.

So, IMO, what you got from that service rep is crap, and just another example of a company not wanting to stand behind their product and do the right thing for the customer. But at the same time, I'm not sure this is the "hill I would want to die on". And, IMO again, that 20% "discount" is just insulting. It stinks all the same, but I'd probably do like you and just use the key. Certainly wouldn't be purchasing a Bauer replacement if it could at all be helped. But Bauer is owned by LCI, and they seem to own everything these days...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #25

Well, you all surprised me, my electric door locks are powered by the chassis battery. When the Ford battery died the door locks and the jacks do not work. Even a low Ford battery would case neither unit to work. Before I figured that out, I thought I would need to replace the door locks because that model is no longer available. The model type I not have, powered by the chassis battery, is no longer available, only the type with internal batteries are available now.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #26

One thing I found out is if your door is not closed all the way, the switch will not release the lock. If your numbers are lighting up then you are getting power to your unit. I would push hard on the door to see if latches better...…….just a minor separation will not allow the switch to activate.
Kpfabricators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #27

Not sure if you noticed any corrosion in/around battery compartment. If so...also check the connecting pin from batteries to electronic section. I have a 2017 Greyhawk, and INDEED did have Duracell WITH ultimate corrosion. The female end of the connection had "miniscual" corrosion. I too called Babe, receiving the same response. Checking the "battery information" on Bauer's website, and checking google for duracell leaks..yup, many links, comments. The pictures on Bauers web site re: leaking Duracell was classic to my situation. Link here: https://bauerproducts.com/battery-information/

I called Bauer back, and they offered a reduced fee on the replacement Bauer EM..if memory serves correct, it was a reasonable discount! I ONLY use Ever ready Lithium, and have had no issues since the replacement. Good Luck! For me, a hard lesson to learn, but valuable.
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:46 PM   #28

I have a 2016 Seneca that was having a similar problem with the key pad working. The RV repair shop I use said use a high energy battery that are designed for remotes. I found them at Batteries and More. Also, you will have to reprogram your code after replacing the batteries. Those instructions are on the inside of the battery compartment cover. Now my keyless entry works great
ripples2ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #29

Great info

Well mine keyless entry is still working but I did have Duracell and they did leak all over. I really cleaned out the whole battery area and put new batteries in. Reprogrammed the code and it worked. Based on all the great info in this I'm going to buy some Energizer lithium and replace the CVS brand that's presently in there. Thank you everyone even though it wasn't my question. 2016 Greyhawk
Gentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #30

My Duracell batteries had only been in there about 4 months when keypad stopped working. No corrosion I checked it thoroughly. Even the lithium batteries won’t let light the keypad up.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #31

Lucky

Guess I got lucky. I sure do appreciate all the great info.
Gentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #32

We have a 2018 Greyhawk 30X and our keyless entry had to be replaced under warranty by the dealer because it quit working.
Janis Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:01 AM   #33

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysoldier View Post
Personal experience from a 74 year old: I have found Duracell Batteries tend to corrode more easily than other brands. I therefore won’t buy them.
I agree, I have had trouble with the Duracell corroding faster than the Ever Ready Energizer battery. Both will corrode but Energizer seems to last longer.

I had a problem with an early model Bauer with the wires from the batteries (the black and red wires) being pinched and causing the unit not to work at all.
JPKendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
Well, you all surprised me, my electric door locks are powered by the chassis battery. When the Ford battery died the door locks and the jacks do not work. Even a low Ford battery would case neither unit to work. Before I figured that out, I thought I would need to replace the door locks because that model is no longer available. The model type I not have, powered by the chassis battery, is no longer available, only the type with internal batteries are available now.
I have the same no batteries required. 2013 Greyhawk
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #35

Quote:
I replace them with Energizer but they weren’t lithium I’ll try those but I agree with you that is BS on the Duracell.

It is BS. I’v only used Duracell batteries in mine since new in 2017. They work fine. I change them once every year, or so. Never a problem with them.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #36

After 2 Bauer locks went bad in two years, I went with RVLock - working 3 years so far.
Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #37

Thanks I’ll look into that brand. Seems a lot of people have trouble with the Bauer Keyless entry lock.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #38

Onan 4000 Generator Help

I have a 2020 greyhawk Prestige with the Onan 4000 and am having difficulties with it with only 5 hrs on it..wow...

When i go to start it, I am pressing the stop until the light appears and then i hit start and hold it to start. It attempts to start and does not and then when i release the start it has 3 slow blinking red lights that come on.

I cannot imagine the carb is already corroded from the fuel.

I read about making sure the switch is forwarded out at the generator and it is. I am trying to start it as the coach is on shore power at my house and i understand it should still start.

Am i missing something with the initial start up ? This seems to be a continuous issue. I also read someone talking about having the oil level down to the min imum and not full .....

I appreciate your input.

Thanks
jellyjamblue is offline   Reply With Quote