Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #1

Greyhawk model

I'm looking at various class C and the Greyhawk 29MV is one of interest. I've seen but not driven an Entegra Esteem 29V which is similar so the question deals with the 29MV and the Prestige 29MVP. What is in and on the Prestige that's not on the 29MV? Brochures tend to be fluffy the describing a model without much substantive information. I did the "build and price" on both and about a $3K higher for the MVP version. If that $3K was useful that's great but just for naming considerations, maybe not worth it.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I'm looking at various class C and the Greyhawk 29MV is one of interest. I've seen but not driven an Entegra Esteem 29V which is similar so the question deals with the 29MV and the Prestige 29MVP. What is in and on the Prestige that's not on the 29MV? Brochures tend to be fluffy the describing a model without much substantive information. I did the "build and price" on both and about a $3K higher for the MVP version. If that $3K was useful that's great but just for naming considerations, maybe not worth it.
I downloaded both brochures and see very little differences. Prestige has a "windshield" with power cover, but that's all that was obvious. I can't find yet a Jayco comparison chart that shows differences between the 2 models.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #3

When we were looking, that cab-over windshield was the only real substantive difference we noticed. I didn't like the idea of another potential failure point in that windshield (as neat as it is), so we went with the 29MV.

Turns out some have had failures in that part due to improper installation. The seal around the edge on many units wasn't installed right, and leaked.

One thing I'd be curious about is the counter-tops. Our 29MV has thermofoil (simulated solid-surface) countertops, and they're a real thorn in my side. If I were looking again today, I'd see if the MVP has actual solid-surface counter tops. That would sway me for sure. I'm all but LOOKING for an excuse to replace them in my rig.

Pretty much the rest is nuance or options in my opinion; the "bones" of both rigs are the same.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #4

In addition to that cabover window (which I'm personally not a fan of) you get solid surface counters, an outside TV (I think), a porcelin toilet, etc. All these items add weight, which the E450 in a Greyhawk is already short on.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
In addition to that cabover window (which I'm personally not a fan of) you get solid surface counters, an outside TV (I think), a porcelin toilet, etc. All these items add weight, which the E450 in a Greyhawk is already short on.
That's what I'm sayin'. If I had known then what I know now, I might have "tabled" my concerns with the cab-over windshield. Those countertops in my rig REALLY bother me, and they haven't failed (yet). I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does, but I view it as one of the few major short-comings of my rig.

The toilet I replaced immediately with a porcelain unit (used the dealership gift card for that and a few other items; gave the OEM toilet to my dad to put in his deer camp trailer), so I don't view that as a deal maker/breaker.

Also, personally I didn't care for the outdoor TV; probably would rarely use it, especially since I have a portable projector now.

The added weight eating into the CCC could really be a problem though. I agree, there's not a lot to spare in the longer Class Cs...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #6

I agree with you totally on the counters. I lament the lack of solid surface in the Greyhawk line. You shouldn't have to jump to Prestige to get them. My 2015 was superior in so many ways to the ones being sold now.

Plus it had 2100 pounds of cargo !!! For the life of me I can't understand why they drift in such a wide variance. I can only imagine Jayco doesn't weigh them consistently (full tank of gas, residual water in the tanks, maybe there is a trim or QC person in the rig as its going over the scales).

Old 04-07-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

Why the strong opinions on the solid surface counters? I like mine just fine.. Course I'm not sure I want to know as then I might have some digging envy to go further next time.

The porcelain toilet just holds up better over time (plastic porous, absorbs smells and will discolor over time). If you spend a lot of time in there perhaps its more comfortable as well?

I don't like the window in the front. Prone to leaks and objects from the road. I already have a patched small dime hole in my front cap from a rock thrown by a bush hog on the side of the freeway. If a window was there I'm 100% sure it would have shattered. Not sure what you would do at that point with a huge hole in front of the RV.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Why the strong opinions on the solid surface counters? I like mine just fine.. Course I'm not sure I want to know as then I might have some digging envy to go further next time.

The porcelain toilet just holds up better over time (plastic porous, absorbs smells and will discolor over time). If you spend a lot of time in there perhaps its more comfortable as well?

I don't like the window in the front. Prone to leaks and objects from the road. I already have a patched small dime hole in my front cap from a rock thrown by a bush hog on the side of the freeway. If a window was there I'm 100% sure it would have shattered. Not sure what you would do at that point with a huge hole in front of the RV.
My kitchen countertop actually has a "blur" in the printed thermofoil. Didn't notice it until months into ownership, but now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. I usually have something on the counter there (cutting board, plates, towel, etc), so that's how I get by with it not driving me completely nuts.

Also, the underlying structure of the countertop is nothing but crappy MDF. One little slit or puncture in the countertop in a "wet" area, and boom - gone. Same problem because the thermofoil doesn't wrap all the way around the bottom of the openings. It kind of just hangs off the bottom, which could allow water intrusion. I've seen people develop "bubbles" in their countertop. Probably not terribly difficult to fix, but why is it there? It would bother me.

A true solid surface countertop could have been installed for not a whole lot more money, would look better, would be more durable and would likely weigh less.

But that list of "why didn't they just install XX, it wouldn't be that much more money" can get pretty lengthy. And when you're dealing with 100,000 units, dimes add up to dollars pretty darn quick.

That's why if/when it fails, I'll be replacing it with something better. Just like I do with nearly everything I fix on my rig.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
So if CCC weight is short in the Grey Hawk, what is the Prestige capacity? Same frame/chassis so it must be in worse shape. So for similar units such as the 29MV and Prestige 29MVP what is the available capacity. Also has someone checked their spoor sticker for max cargo numbers, weighed it empty of cargo/camping gear to see how far off Jayco was on the numbers? Few if any C motorhome advertise UVW but trailers do. I weighed my Raptor as I left the dealer after purchase and the way I ordered, FBP, dual pane windows, but deleted the patio system, I was actually a couple hundred less that the advertised weight.

I also am suspicious of the front windshield for the leak potential issue. GF likes it but again she is more form than function.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:41 PM   #10

Solid surface counter tops add weight to couch overall total weight that is important to consider..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:38 PM   #11

Generally speaking, Redhawk LE’s have more cargo then Redhawks, which have more cargo then Greyhawks, which have more cargo then Greyhawk Prestige’s.

Of course, I still stand by my observation earlier. I can’t fathom how the same model can vary so widely on weight. Spec for spec, option for option, hundreds of pounds different. I suppose this is where being regulated would come into play.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:32 AM   #12

I like the overhead window. We cover the windshield on the outside when camping and the power shade makes it easy to open for a little light. I figured if it is installed like a car windshield it should stay water tight. Bin a while since I had a car windshield leak. Only time will tell. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #13
RPR

Does your research show that units should weight same no matter what floor plan?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:27 AM   #14

Is there such a thing as an organized list of CCC arranged by Model and Year?
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:35 AM   #15

Sorry, gents, but I like my big front window in the Odyssey. It lets in so much light, and as that’s my daughter’s pad in the RV she loves it for star gazing. You may be right with the negatives in the long run, but that big window is what attracted me to the Odyssey, as well as the 2 year warranty .
Old 04-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #16
RPR

Have yet to see what percentage of units sold with cab window had problems with leakage.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #17

Just know it's a potential leaker, stay on top of maintenance. Watch it like a hawk.

All RVs leak, it's not "if" but simply "when".
No biggie.

We loved our first coach with the window up there.
I miss it.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
What about the roof? I know Entegra uses a one piece fiberglass, not sure about the Jayco. The Redhawk line does not use fiberglass. In my opinion, the fiberglass roof alone would be worth the price difference.
Fork in the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork in the road View Post
What about the roof? I know Entegra uses a one piece fiberglass, not sure about the Jayco. The Redhawk line does not use fiberglass. In my opinion, the fiberglass roof alone would be worth the price difference.
Greyhawk has the fiberglass roof. That was another deal maker/breaker for me. Both the Prestige and non-Prestige models had FG roof, so that wasn't a decision point for me. It did kick out the Redhawks though.

One of the main reasons we went with Jayco in the first place is the one-piece fiberglass front cap. Again, the same across all their MHs, so that didn't factor into the decision between MV/MVP.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 04-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #20

I believe the part over the cab is also one piece with no seams so less likely to leak. The electric shade is really convenient and definitely makes a huge difference if you’re anywhere in the summer. I will say the windows only open about 3 or 4 inches and it gets very hot in there. No Crossbreeze. We have a Greyhawk prestige and there’s not even a fantastic fan in it to help pull air through. Make sure you get one with a fan. Jayco’s customer service is outstanding.
amhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote