Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2017, 06:17 AM   #1

Greyhawk MV 29 electrical problem

Well we took the 2018 Greyhawk for an extended shake down at Fort Wilderness. Things went well for the first 5 days. All systems worked well and we enjoyed the new RV experience. Our dog loved the experience too. On Saturday my wife plugged in a hair dryer in the bathroom while the A/C was on and everything went to s$%t. The power went out, checked the breakers none tripped. Checked the 30 amp breaker at the pedestal, still on. I pulled the panel cover under the bed and it was a mess. All the neutral wires in the panel had burned off. There is a neutral jumper from the top buss bar the the secondary buss. it apparently melted through due to overheating (why???) and took every other neutral with it. The secondary buss bar was melted as well as the plastic breaker panel, I am surprised it didn't catch fire. Just try to get field service out to Ft wilderness on a weekend. It took coachnet most of the day into the evening to get someone out. He said it looked like the jumper may have been loose, over heated with the load, and smoked the other wires. he cut away the burned wire and tried to re-route the wire to the upper buss, no luck. we were dead in the water. He said at the very least the panel would have to be replaced with a possible short somewhere in the internal wiring. Exasperated, I called the Disney front desk and they sent out Lou, he gave me a second opinion same as the tech. We were done, with 6 people and a dog and no A/C with temps in the low 90's and 5 days left on our reservation. Lou called the front desk and spoke to them on our behalf. Well Disney really stepped up. The got us a log cabin in the campground at no extra charge so our beagle could be cool, and we could finish our vacation. Kudos to Lou and the staff at Ft wilderness they saved our vacation. As for the repair, the tech at the dealer said it may or may not be a warranty repair.(really, on a brand new RV?), will take 30 day before they can even look at it, and Lord knows how long to fix it. Oh, and I have a top of the line surge protector. So no surge to the RV which could have caused the problem. No unusual codes on the protector so the power to the coach was clean. my recommendation is to check the connections on all wires in the panel on your RV, and be sure they are tight. Sorry for the long post. I'll update as the repair story unfolds.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

What an experience. Kudos to Disney for taking care of you in a very professional manner. Stories like these makes one think "should I or shouldn't I buy that new RV". Good luck with all of the repairs and/or replacements. Don't take NO for an answer. Keep pushing until you are treated fairly. Unbelievable for them to even question if it is under warranty. Why does Jayco advertise "2 Year Warranty" right there are the unit at the dealership. Please keep us informed, and try to keep a cool head. Honey gets more than vinegar is what my grandmother always told me.
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #3

Wish you had posted this the day it happened.

Camper Connection(owned by Lippert) in Kissimee works with JAYCO and may have been able to fix it before you left. I have always had a quick response from them when needed.

They are at the FORT regularly.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:08 AM   #4

Same issue with 110 buss

I had the EXACT same issue with the exact same coach. Plugging razor into bathroom circuit caused failure of jumper wire on common busses. Melted the entire box and smoke a bunch of wiring. I managed to jury rig the box back together for the remainder of the two week vacation. I ordered a new 110 circuit panel from Power Dynamics and will be replacing the circuit box on my own. I am notifying Jayco about this issue as it is an extreme fire hazard
Jetlear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:01 AM   #5

I've heard of a similar experience with the split neutral buss bar and what appeared to be an undersized jumper wire between them. That wire needs to be as heavy as the main feed.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:19 AM   #6

I pull my panels off including the transfer switch yearly and tighten all the connections. I also tighten the power cord connections.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:39 PM   #7

Had a similar problem on our trip out west in our 2005 31SS It was in March and we got snow 2 times. Was using a small ceramic heater as a supplement.Smelled electrical wire melting. Some wires under the bed where the inverter and panel were melting. No fire but panel had some melting and a few wires in the area were damaged. Got some wire and some connectors from a local HD and was able to get us thru the trip and back home to GA. Ordered a new panel and repaired everything correctly. I added a 2 gang box with a 20 amp GFI outlet feeding a standard 20 amp receptacle in the same box on the bed platform. Then I used some 10/3 cordage and put a 20 amp plug on one end and the other end attached directly to the receptacle bypassing the main panel. If I visit a location where a 20 amp circuit is not available I have a "Y" adapter that converts a 50 amp plug to 2 30 amp plugs. With a 30 to 20 amp adapter I can use one for the RV and the other for the 20 amp circuit thus not risking overloading the RV wiring.
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric panel, greyhawk 29 mv, neutral wires melted