Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #1

Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP

Has anyone had trouble with their HW heater working on the electric side? Our HW heater works on gas but not on electric.
lbyeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

All that we are personal familiar with is the Atwood HWH. We had to replace the electric element on our previous unit as it was corroded and broken after 10 years from hard water.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbyeary View Post
Has anyone had trouble with their HW heater working on the electric side? Our HW heater works on gas but not on electric.
Have you checked the 120-volt circuit breaker for the water heater? Has it heated on electric previously? Any chance the electric element was turned on with no water in the tank at some point?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #4

We just bought the unit in Nov, 17 and used it the first week of Dec and the electric side never would heat to the temp that the gas would. Electric was lukewarm at best. That makes me think the breaker would be OK but maybe a circuit board on the heater. Are the circuit breakers under the bed platform, accessible below the foot of the bed?
Old 03-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

I can't say where your breakers may be, different models have the panel in different places. But under the bed seems a common place for the Ford-based Class C units. Once you locate the panel there likely will be 110-volt breakers on one side and 12-volt fuses on the other. One of the breakers should be noted as "Water heater" or some abbreviation thereof.

I have a 10-gallon Atwood XT and there is one thermostat for both the gas heat side and the electric. So on my unit (at least) the water is heated to the same temperature regardless of the heat source, the water heater's electronic module will control both the gas burner and the relay that turns on/off the electric element. There also is a separate thermal cut-off safety should the main thermostatic switch "stick closed" and try to heat the water too hot. Also know heating it with electric will take far longer to come up to temperature than by burning propane. Are you giving it several hours to heat?

If you don't have an Atwood yours may work in a different manner and the problem could be something else completely. Or as mentioned earlier by another member if something has happened to the electric element itself it may not heat properly. Running on electric for any time with the tank empty will cause the element to fail.

Although not as likely, you could have a 110-volt wiring issue that may be causing an issue, there have been cases discussed here on the forum where owners found loose connections in the breaker panel and elsewhere. A poor connection may cause poor heating performance.

Can you tell us what type of hot water heater you have? Maybe we can better troubleshoot it with you if we knew the model.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

I found the breaker panel and sure enough the HW heater was turned. I turned it on and we now have hot water.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #7

For even faster hot water when needed both the electric and gas can be turned on at the same time.

Happy trails!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbyeary View Post
I found the breaker panel and sure enough the HW heater was turned. I turned it on and we now have hot water.
Good deal! It hopefully was a fluke and it stays "on" for you.

If the breaker pops repeatedly more troubleshooting is indicated.