Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #41

Here are the Jayco repair instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 19-022 Instructions .pdf (903.8 KB, 52 views)
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
This is really making me rethink my "need" for adding hydraulic jacks in the future.
No reason this particular issue should make you question your need for hydraulic jacks. It was an improper installation at Jayco factory.

If you're adding them, you can be more involved with the installation and ensure it's done correctly. I doubt a reputable private shop would have installed the head unit the way Jayco did on these units.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
That's a pretty clever idea. A grade 8 bolt with a big washer would be best. As long as that hole doesn't weaken the frame.
I thought this sounded like a good idea, but I have since found out it's not. I went to a truck frame/weldors site, and the rule is never drill through the flanges, or from an area 1 inch up or down from the corner of the flanges. The reason is the flanges(top and bottom) are what gives the frame it's real strength, and drilling through them may seriously compromise it's strength and set up a crack. They said especially the lower flange, which is in tension, and the upper flange which is in compression. Of the two, the lower is more critical. They said if a hole is drilled in a flange, it may be helpful to put a grade 8 bolt, washers and nut through it and tighten as much as possible. The area between the flanges is called the web, and all kind of holes get drilled through that. But they said stay away from the flanges.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:50 AM   #44

Mine looks just like the one that broke but still not part of the recall..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190829_204617.jpg   IMG_20190829_204711.jpg  
Old 08-30-2019, 07:37 AM   #45

This is exactly what mine looked like and was not part of the recall. I had looked at it and felt that it was very secure. About 2 weeks later I looked under MH before leaving and the pump and reservoir were hanging by the hydraulic lines
The bracket had broken at it's attachment to the frame. Had it rewelded with additional support and hopefully all's good now. I don't believe there's enough support with just the gussett. It's too much weight especially with road vibration. I have 24,000 mi on a 2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29 w.
Bduck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #46

This is what mine looked like. Jayco said it was in the recall, dealer called Jayco and Jayco said it was not in the recall. All that had me confused so I had it toughened up I hope. Two pictures of before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2267.jpg   IMG_2237.jpg  
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #47

It's surprising how many different ways Jayco attached these brackets.
Yours shows the u-channel up against the frame, but -not- welded to it.

Mine is also up against the frame, but they welded it.
Attached Thumbnails
pump1.jpg  
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #48

I started to put a bolt through and secure it that way but got scared from all the info about drilling holes in that part of the frame I backed off that idea, the guy that welded it is very very good so I went with that. Bad part is the dealer is 125 miles from me, they wanted me to bring it in, said it might be 3 weeks. I would have made trips for nothing maybe. I just decided to do this instead. Ours is a 2016 also.
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #49

I have been well served with do it yourself and qualified technicians outside the dealership industry. The welding I had done took 30min. and I have absolute confidence in the repair. He charged $50.
Bduck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #50

I have a 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME. I was in Arizona in March and found out that the bracket broke and the reservoir was dragging on the road and had a huge hole in it. I call someone to fix it not realizing that it was a recall. He took the whole assembly out and welded the bracket, patched the reservoir and reattached them. After I found out it was a recall, I called Jayco and was told that I have to take the RV to a Jayco dealer and they will take care of it better because they may have to change the bracket and also a new reservoir. Because the reservoir was patched, I don't know how long it will hold. I am waiting on my dealer to open up after Covid.
GerryDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #51

I procrastinated to fix my bracket and finally did the repair myself a month ago. I didn't want to take it to Jayco and have it sit for months so I just did my own fabrication.

Made a couple of cardboard templates of the bracket supports that I wanted to make and then cut them out of 3/16" steel. Had my son weld them in place. I would have done the welding but probably would have set myself on fire. Besides, he is a much better welder than me. That pump shelf isn't going anywhere!

I wonder how many others have never done the repair and have ticking time bombs under their rigs.
Attached Thumbnails
20200608_175926.jpg   20200608_175941.jpg  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote