Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 06:40 PM   #1

Greyhawk/Redhawl recall....

I added this information to the recall forum, too.

Got a notice from Jayco today about certain 2016 and 2017 Greyhawk and Redhawk Class C's equipped with leveling jacks.

Some MAY require reinforcement to the mounting bracket of the leveling system's mounting bracket. Our 2016 Greyhawk happens to be one of those affected, per Jayco.

Even though our warranty is up, per the letter we received Jayco will take care of this through our dealer.
2017 Lhasa Apso/Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Lakeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #2

I got the letter today as well. From any of you that have had this done, what do they physically do to reinforce the pump support bracket? I'm not questioning the wisdom of it, just asking what they physically do for you guys who have gone under and looked.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #3

I got the same recall today. I'd like to know what Jayco is doing to correct the issue and perform the fix myself rather than let the yahoos at the dealer do it.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:32 PM   #4

We're second owners on our 2016 31FK. Can someone post the letter contents? I'd like to reach out to Jayco. Thanks
Old 07-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
I got the same recall today. I'd like to know what Jayco is doing to correct the issue and perform the fix myself rather than let the yahoos at the dealer do it.
DRK, I feel the same way. What I suspect is they would weld two triangular gusset's at both corners of the L shaped bracket to keep the bottom part of the L from braking off. I'd like to hear what they do but that's the fix I would employ. I think 1/8 inch thick steel would work fine for the gusset's.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post

I noticed mine was weak, and flexed when the unit was activated two years ago, and welded it up with support brackets myself. I don’t know why it has taken them so long to determine that there is a problem with their design. I have a 2017 GreyHawk 29W.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

PC, I called them last year cause I'm a second owner also. Register with them then you'll receive the service bulletins. Their phone number is 574-825-5861.

The letter itself is very brief. At the top is says Technical Service Bulletin TSB#19-022. Dear valued customer: Jayco has determined that certain model year 2016 and 2017 Jayco Greyhawk and Redhawk Class C motorhomes [B]equipped with leveling jacks.[B] may require reinforcement to the mounting bracket of the leveling systems hydraulic pump. Our records idicate that your motorhome is affected by this service bulletin. Please contact the nearest Jayco dealer to schedule an appointment and present this letter as authorization to have the procedure completed at [B]no cost[B] to you. If you have sold or traded your motorhome or for any reason cannot have this service performed, please contact Motorized customer service department at 800-517-9137. We apologize for any inconvenience or concern this bulletin may cause you and want to assure you that Jayco is taking all the necessary steps to ensure our product quality meets your expectations."
Old 07-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

Well, as this just happened to my 2019 I wouldn't be surprised if this expanded. My reservoir and pump here dangling by the plumbing underneath my rig. The l-bracket they welded to the frame failed.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #9

Here's a copy of the letter I received today. Click on it to see full size.
Attached Thumbnails
Public JAYCO TSB.jpg  
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #10

Does anyone have pictures of the new and improved bracket? Thinking of making one myself.Thank you
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #11

Is the bracket in question just bolted on or is it welded. If my knees didn't hurt so bad I would crawl under there and see what gives. I think my son will "volunteer" once I ask him.

It sounds like the pump is on some sort of shelf which implies that it is only secured on one side. If this is the case, the slight flexing of the shelf from the weight could fatigue the metal causing a failure.

A heavier duty shelf may solve the problem provided what it is secured to is up to the task. I would think some sort of strap support on the front edge of the shelf would be useful.

Heck, I am just about talking myself into crawling under my Greyhawk and seeing what is going on. As Dr Smith from Lost in Space would say, "Oh the pain, the pain".

Come on someone, beat me to this. Save my poor old aching knees. Post a picture.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #12

It's welded to the chassis in the shape of an L. The long part of the L is welded to the chassis. The short part of the L is butt welded to the longer piece. The pump and reservoir are bolted on top of the short part of the L. The butt weld is failing at the corner intersection and and the whole assembly falls to the road. I may not be recalling whether the long part of the L is welded or bolted, but I think it is welded.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:41 AM   #13

So to be clear, this TSB does not affect 2019 models (yet)?? I do not have the jacks on my redhawk but was intending to add them this winter.
drmike961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
It's welded to the chassis in the shape of an L. The long part of the L is welded to the chassis. The short part of the L is butt welded to the longer piece. The pump and reservoir are bolted on top of the short part of the L. The butt weld is failing at the corner intersection and and the whole assembly falls to the road. I may not be recalling whether the long part of the L is welded or bolted, but I think it is welded.
You are correct, I don't know what Jayco was thinking in letting this setup get out of the factory. Would love to see a picture of the new and improved bracket. I'm thinking of bolting or welding the horizontal part to the frame for extra support. Good welder could make something in short order to stiffen up the existing bracket.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
You are correct, I don't know what Jayco was thinking in letting this setup get out of the factory. Would love to see a picture of the new and improved bracket. I'm thinking of bolting or welding the horizontal part to the frame for extra support. Good welder could make something in short order to stiffen up the existing bracket.

I noticed two years ago when I first purchased my GreyHawk that there was flex in the leveler pump/reservoir bracket and did not like the way the factory designed it. It looked like an accident waiting to happen. I welded a piece of angle iron on each side of the bracket from the base to the frame. Problem solved, and no more flex or movement.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
Yes, I think a good fix would be to cut out two triangles out of 1/8 steel. They would need to be about 4-5 inches or so per side, and overlap the corner at the L and weld them up on both sides and that thing won't go anywhere. Another option would be to use two steel straps welded to both sides. As far as the welding goes, it might be a little more of a challenge cause your on your back and doing it overhead.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #17

Since the bracket is welded, I would assume that the replacement bracket will also be welded to the frame. So, you will be relying on the welding capability of a tech at the service center. I wonder if they do a lot of welding repairs.

Rather than go through the recall and having the coach sit at the service center acquiring cob webs, I am just going to reinforce the shelf myself. Have welder so it is not a big deal.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #18

Welding Bracket

JimD,
I would check before welding on your Chassis concerning a possible need to disconnect your batteries.
On a previous Bus they needed to disconnect before welding so it wouldn’t interfere with the electronics onboard.
This may not be an issue with a Jayco Class C.
I took a picture of my bracket this am. It seems to be very sturdy. Safe travels, Jimmyd
Attached Thumbnails
E32D3FAB-2019-46F2-9B5C-9DBAEE5E116A.jpg   5576B59B-2E07-4D6B-8DCF-D408099D61E6.jpg  
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Since the bracket is welded, I would assume that the replacement bracket will also be welded to the frame. So, you will be relying on the welding capability of a tech at the service center. I wonder if they do a lot of welding repairs.

Rather than go through the recall and having the coach sit at the service center acquiring cob webs, I am just going to reinforce the shelf myself. Have welder so it is not a big deal.
My closest Jayco authorized motor home dealer is 125 miles away, they said they would want to keep it 3 weeks normally to order parts then install. That would involve a 500 mile trip for a 2 hour job, at least that's what the Jayco folks told me it would take and cost me probably $250 figuring .50 cents a mile. I know a really good welder, I think I'll just do it myself, it's not brain surgery. hahaha Won't have a year warranty on the work but I'm betting the welder I get is better than their welder. I'm supposed to be getting the instructions and hopefully pictures of the new bracket etc. I hope that happens. Thanks folks
Old 07-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #20

Ah, pictures. Makes things a bit clearer. Looks like a very thick mounting frame bracket attached to thin shelving metal. Strange way of doing it. Shouldn't be rocket science to strengthen.

Battery disconnect is easy for me. I have 2 parallel 12 volts, each of which has a quick battery disconnect on it.

My knees thank you for the pictures. I can now get my son, who is a much better welder than me and fabricates stuff all the time, to do my recall fix. End result will be much better I feel. And it can be done where my unit is parked on the side of my house. Already set up for welding.

Would also be a good time for him to look around down there to see any other potential problem areas. I was thinking about installing the See Level tank monitoring hardware. Hmmmmm.

Can you imagine what the service wait times will be once all owners hit at once?

I wonder if Jayco would be willing to reimburse owners that fixed the problem themselves. You could always say you had to have it fixed before the recall came out. Any token amount would be nice and may save them money too.