Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #1

Greyhawk Roof Care

Our New (used) '17 Greyhawk 31FS has been winterized and stored for the winter and I decided to do a little miscellaneous maintenance today and gave the roof a good inspection. From what I can tell, the seals and seams are holding up well.

As I looked at the fiberglass and junction seals I started to wonder what I can do on the preventative maintenance side of things to ensure that everything stays in good condition. No idea if the previous owner did any care in this area.

For you pro's out there: Do you clean/condition your roof every year? Any recommendations waiting or not waiting until the spring before cleaning/conditioning? Any recommended or best avoided products? (We are using covered/enclosed storage.)
N7flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #2

Your Greyhawk has a fiberglass roof like mine(same year and model). In the Spring, all I do is first rinse it down to get the heavy dirt off it, then get a bucket and put some automotive shampoo(Maguires) in it. You can also use Dawn dish soap. Get yourself one of those soft bristle brushes on a stick, the kind that a hose screws in the end. Then I start at the front and wash it like I am mopping a floor. Do about 4-5 feet, then rinse with a hose. Before you do it, carefully inspect each caulked joint for cracks etc. With a 31FS, never step anywhere close to the edge of the roof or you can crack it. Don't step anywhere beyond 5 inches in from the rounded edge.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

Very good advice.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

Annual maintenance for sure. After the roof working your way around and if you have sliders? Don't forget the seals. Mine has double seals so I have to get inside to get to them.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Your Greyhawk has a fiberglass roof like mine(same year and model). In the Spring, all I do is first rinse it down to get the heavy dirt off it, then get a bucket and put some automotive shampoo(Maguires) in it. You can also use Dawn dish soap. Get yourself one of those soft bristle brushes on a stick, the kind that a hose screws in the end. Then I start at the front and wash it like I am mopping a floor. Do about 4-5 feet, then rinse with a hose. Before you do it, carefully inspect each caulked joint for cracks etc. With a 31FS, never step anywhere close to the edge of the roof or you can crack it. Don't step anywhere beyond 5 inches in from the rounded edge.
I do exactly the same. Good advice!

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #6

Thanks for the recommendations!
N7flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #7

You should put a UV wax coat on there as well. Helps keep the sun from deteriorating the fiberglass. I just use the "wash wax all" on the entire rig 2x a year.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #8

Do you have a preference of the brand of wash/wax you use? Also does anybody use 303 Protectant on the roof?
2017 Jeep Patriot 4x4 (toad)
All Blue Ox tow gear
RVi brake and TPMS
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, conditioning, roof