Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

Greyhawk - routing cables from solar panel to charge controller

I'm trying to figure out the best way to route the cables from my solar panels on the roof of my 2017 Greyhawk 31FK down to the solar charge controller I mounted near the battery. The only roof vent I see as a possibility would be the one for the gray/black tanks, but that looks iffy at best. Unfortunately, the vent for the fridge is on the other side of the RV. Thinking about just coming down the outside of the RV on the driver's side with some sort of cable chase/conduit.

Any suggestions?

Dave
ekdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

I have the 2016 31FK and have been tossing over the possibilities in my head too.

I do not want to punch a hole in the roof.

My most recent thought was to route them down the fridge vent and then go *under* the coach over to the battery.

What's nagging at me is that the whole Solar setup on the 31FK is kind'a wimpy, in my opinion. There's room for *one* battery in the tray. If we're going to go serious solar, then I'd want more batteries.

Which would mean relocating the batteries, which would affect where I drag the cables.

Analysis paralysis I guess.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #3

I'm not really going for *serious* solar at this point. I know that the single battery will at least last me the night if it's fully charged by nightfall, so that's my goal. We only boondock a few times a year, too, so huge off-grid capacity isn't a big priority. Plus, extra batteries add a lot of weight. Some friends ripped out one of the side storage bays and replaced it with a battery tray with four 6-volt batteries, weighing about 300lbs. Overkill, for my purposes anyway.

My solar setup is one (soon to be two) Renogy 100-watt panel on the roof, exact location still TBD, with a Victron SmartSolar 75/15 controller in the AC compartment next to the battery. Right now I put the solar panel on the roof and just hang the cables over the side when we're camped. I want a more permanent installation.
ekdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #4

I have a setup in my 2012 31fs. Routed down fridge vent to under the rv to a storage compartment. I have 2 86 watt panels on the roof and 1 plug in 90 watt panel I can plug in a jack on the side of the rv. I moved all the battery connections, breakers and fuses for all the other accessories on the battery.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	42830
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage98 View Post
I have a setup in my 2012 31fs. Routed down fridge vent to under the rv to a storage compartment. I have 2 86 watt panels on the roof and 1 plug in 90 watt panel I can plug in a jack on the side of the rv. I moved all the battery connections, breakers and fuses for all the other accessories on the battery.
Attachment 42830

SWEET !! Looks nice, clean and functional. Good job.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote