Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #1

Greyhawk toad

What kind of toad are you all towing behind your Greyhawk? We are thinking about a blue ox system for the 2013 Explorer. According to the manual just have to start and cycle the gears every 6hrs. I am a bit apprehensive because of the weight 4500lbs. Does anyone have experience towing something this heavy?
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #2

My 2006 Honda Pilot is 4500. Tows fine. I had to get an offset bar for the tow bar since the rv and pilot were different heights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #3

I don't have a Greyhawk but I do tow a 2014 Explorer Sport. It tows wonderfully but you do need to follow the instructions to run it for a few minutes prior to towing, cycling the shifter between the gears before shutting it off in neutral. Repeat at the end of your drive or every 6 hours, whichever comes first. That circulates transmission fluid to all parts of the unit to keep it lubricated.

Mine has the 3.5l EcoBoost so it may be heavier than yours, mine tipped the scales at about 4,900 pounds full of fuel with no one onboard. Regardless, please make sure you have a braking system installed, whatever weight yours is it certainly will "push" you if it doesn't. Plus brakes are required in most states and provinces at that weight.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

My signature toad works OK. Gas mileage drops by 1 MPG to 7.5. I also have to use a drop hitch to raise it up to the proper level.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

We tow (four wheels down) a '16 Subaru Forester (manual transmission). We already have some nine thousand miles of successful towing. All Blue Ox equipment are used to tow.

I find the Subaru to be very simple to tow.
1) Unlock the steering wheel,
2) Transmission in neutral,
3) All dashboard items turned off (not to kill the battery),
4) Make sure the Emergency brake is released

Subaru Forester (manual trans) has no towing mile limits per day, no fuses to pull, no required engine starting time after a lengthy tow. The Subaru tows level with the Greyhawk. No additional hitch stuff required (straight tow).

The Forester comes in at 3,300lbs. Seats five people very comfortably, and gets great gas mileage at 30/32.

Now, understand the Forester is not a rock climber, but it's all-wheel drive system works very well in back road conditions, with a clearance height of 8".

All this, in my opinion, makes the Subaru a great tow vehicle.

AND ..... It only cost me $27,000 brand new.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #6

Hi Bobman,
I have the blue ox tow package setup with the brake buddy aux braking system and it's a great setup. I tow a 2013 jeep wrangler. The wranglers come with a manual transfer case which is the best, IMO ,since it can be towed 4 down and I never need to start it up and let the fluids run through at anytime while towing it.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote