Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

Greyhawk w/ 2 AC

I noticed on the Jayco site that there is an option for 2 11k AC units instead of the single 15k one. It's still a 30 amp rv though.

Does anyone have this setup??

I'm planning on adding a 2nd AC next spring but will have to run a new 20 amp circuit for it since the 30 amp service won't pull two larger units.

I'm curious if the 2 11k units work well???
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:11 AM   #2

First I have seen this. Though we have no interest in a 2nd AC, this option may be of interest to those who travel frequently in the south/west. Wonder if 11K units also have a heat pump as do the 15K units?
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #3

I just noticed the 2017 Alante has the same setup but standard..

It's listed as:
11,000-BTU A/C (2) with Energy Management System (N/A 26X)
Old 10-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

Angry Wish I would have gotten two air conditioners or a different brand

I made a big mistake not reading more about the problems people have with one air conditioner. I bought a 2017 Greyhawk 29 MV recently. Before we left the dealership my wife and I had concerns about the excessive heat in the coach but was assured that the air conditioner was fine and "it just takes time" to cool down. Well, 1 week at my house and 3 weeks at the dealer and it still does not cool down. I spoke to Jayco's costumer service manager and was told the dark color and 1 air conditioner was "NOT DESIGNED FOR THE SOUTH"!
I live in Louisiana and now have a brand new motorhome that I cannot use unless I plan on going north for the summer. The dealer still has it and I'm hoping they can do something for me but Jayco will not do anything.
Don't know if it's poor insulation or the dark color but I would definitely get 2 air conditioners if you plan on using it south of the Mason Dixie Line. I don't know if all brands are alike but be sure it cools properly before you make your purchase. Jayco will not be any help after you drive it away from the dealer. They told the dealer service department the same thing they told me.
ccradeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #5

I have a 2014 31FS Grewhawk that I bought at Dixie RV in Hammond. I have the same issue with the AC not being that cool. It does eventfully cool down at night but take awhile. I bought a few fans I run constantly during the summer and have put shades in the bedroom windows. I also have a front cover over the windshield to help cool things. Try to find shade, put out the canopy when the sum comes from that direction, etc. In the future I would look for 2 AC units in my new coach!
wmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccradeur View Post
I made a big mistake not reading more about the problems people have with one air conditioner. I bought a 2017 Greyhawk 29 MV recently. Before we left the dealership my wife and I had concerns about the excessive heat in the coach but was assured that the air conditioner was fine and "it just takes time" to cool down. Well, 1 week at my house and 3 weeks at the dealer and it still does not cool down. I spoke to Jayco's costumer service manager and was told the dark color and 1 air conditioner was "NOT DESIGNED FOR THE SOUTH"!
I live in Louisiana and now have a brand new motorhome that I cannot use unless I plan on going north for the summer. The dealer still has it and I'm hoping they can do something for me but Jayco will not do anything.
Don't know if it's poor insulation or the dark color but I would definitely get 2 air conditioners if you plan on using it south of the Mason Dixie Line. I don't know if all brands are alike but be sure it cools properly before you make your purchase. Jayco will not be any help after you drive it away from the dealer. They told the dealer service department the same thing they told me.
It's definetely not a brand issue per se. The main issue is that it's simply too much RV for one AC in southern summer heat. If you have a darker color then that isn't doing you any favors.

Other than the Seneca class of class c motorhomes, I have not seen any with 50 amp service to support 2 full Acs and even most smaller/entry level class a's don't have 2 ACs. In talking with our dealer and doing some homework I figured out that I could add the 2nd AC in our Redhawk albeit a bit of a hack. The dealer won't do it but did refer me to some in the area that do. Other than getting the unit on the roof I the install seems within my ability so I'll give it a shot in the spring.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #7

My 2015 31FS has a 15000 but ac with heat pump and it just holds its own on 100 degree days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UpstateNY-31FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #8

I'm toying with the idea of buying a portable AC unit. Not the 'window kind' but the kind on casters. For ducting, I'm thinking about rigging something up to duct it out of the roof vent in the bathroom.

Been reading a little bit to see if I can see what the amp draw is on something like a 10K BTU unit.

If it doesn't work out, I could put the AC unit to work in my shop, so I may just give it a try.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I'm toying with the idea of buying a portable AC unit. Not the 'window kind' but the kind on casters. For ducting, I'm thinking about rigging something up to duct it out of the roof vent in the bathroom.

Been reading a little bit to see if I can see what the amp draw is on something like a 10K BTU unit.

If it doesn't work out, I could put the AC unit to work in my shop, so I may just give it a try.
I've had the same thought.. Just couldn't come up with a good place to vent it. We don't really NEED the 2nd ac too often because in general camping in the summer is no fun anywhere here. We focus on the other seasons.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #10

I spent 13 years in the DFW area. I recall waiting until 11pm to go outside for a walk, when the temperature had finally dropped to 130*.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #11

I bought a 1993 35' Fleetwood Bounder about 10 years ago (have a 2017 Greyhawk now) with two air conditioners and had 30 amp service. I don't know if it was original equipment or added by the first owner, but there was a system that controlled which air conditioner worked. You could set it for only the front, or only the rear, or you could have it cycle between the two air conditioners. It worked OK, but there were fairly large swings in temperature between cycles which you did notice throughout the night. I'd suspect that there is something like it available somewhere. An added advantage is that it worked with the generator.
Kruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #12

So has anybody gotten a 2AC unit? Is the coach still 30 amps? Or do the 2 11k units work in tandem w/ the 30 amps but 'thou shalt not run the microwave'?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #13

We have 2016 31DS. Although we haven't travelled yet in very high temps, Eric have found it works well. Wondering why they put on black covers if they can cause a problem with heat absorption? Anyway, we have had some issues with our MH and I have to say I am very surprised that you haven't had satisfaction with Jayco. No matter what issue I have called on, they were able to resolve it. Don't know if you have called Jayco customer service yet yourself, but if not, call ask for class C tech support and speak with Bill or Randy. These two guys have gone out of there way with us.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #14

The humidity is the problem for you southern guys. That one a/c simply cannot remove enough moisture to make it comfortable, especially when it is really hot too. Here in the west, whether I'm here in Montana on a hot day or down in the desert our one a/c is sufficient due to the low humidity. It may run a lot and may not satisfy the t-stat on 90-100 degree days, but it removes the little humidity there is to make it totally comfortable.

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #15

We have a 2016 GreyHawk 31DS with one a/c unit. Currently, we are in Florida and have been since the end of November. We've had to run our a/c fairly often here on rainy humid days..and on those days where it was 85F and not too humid. We've never had an issue with the a/c not working properly. Our RV is light colored and I think that is a big help. Also. I follow the sun, keeping sunscreens and/or blinds drawn when the sun is beating on whichever side. The awning with Shade-Pro screen is a fantastic boon.
2017 Lhasa Apso/Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Lakeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #16

I like that Shade Pro screen. That's got to help w/ heat absorption on the awning side when the sun is blasting it.

*add it to the list*

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #17

Hello, We have a 29w with two ACs. Just purchased a few weeks ago. It is 30 amp. and has a energy mgt. system. How does it perform, since we just purchased, have only used in 80 degree weather therefore I can't give a true opinion yet. But when we turn both units on full till, the coach got cold really quickly. No heat pump on this set-up.
Alvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #18

When we buy our 1st new Class C (Greyhawk or Odyssey) we would if at all possible have to have a 2nd for plenty of AC. If two aren't available then we might have to go to a smaller coach than really wanted just so the single 15K would do a adequate job. We will be traveling with our two Golden Retrievers and keeping them cool is a must. I will add a auto gen start just in case shore power would go out while we're away from the Coach. The other alternative is to follow cooler temps with visiting higher elevations in the summer and heading South and West in the winter.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #19

We traded up from a 2016 Greyhawk to a 2018 Precept. We never had a problem with the AC and in the Greyhawk. Our Precpet has two AC/Heat units. My opinion it is worth the trade up.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #20

I have a 2018 29mv 2 acs work very good when its 90 to 100. If not that hot just run the back ac,it's much quieter.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote