Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Question Greywater Tank Vent / Vacuum Breaker

Why is the greywater tank vent/vacuum breaker located under the kitchen sink and not outside the coach on roof? We developed a smell under the sink (due to me not treating the greywater tank properly) and I saw the vent under there while looking to identify the source. Seems odd to me, but wondering why?
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #2

You will find one under the bathroom sink as well. I think is required by the RVIA plumbing code. There is still an outside (roof) vent as well. We've had them under the sinks in the last 3 units we've owned.

You can unscrew the cap and check the spring to see why it isn't sealing if that is the issue.

PS: Found out that many home building codes now allow them to be used as well, so you only need one outside stack.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

Found this text on a RVIA website:

"Anti-Siphon Trap Vent Device (ASTVD)
The anti-siphon trap vent device (ASTVD) or ��check vent�� depicted in Figure 2-60 is a
secondary vent that can only be used in applications where an exterior vent is also provided.
As already stated, the venting system allows air into and out of the drainage system.
The ASTVD uses an atmospheric pressure-controlled valve that will allow air into the system,
but not out of the system. Because it does not allow air out, it must be used in conjunction
with a primary vent, i.e., exterior vent.
The seal of the ASTVD needs to be positioned so it is at least 6 inches (152.4 millimeters)
above the fixture��s trap arm. The ASTVD screws into an adapter fitting that is a permanent
part of the drainage system. When installing or replacing an ASTVD, be sure it is only hand
tightened. Overtightening may crack the adapter fitting. ASTVDs that allow gases to escape
into the RV should be replaced."

Link to large PDF file:
http://www.rvst.org/RVIA_Textbooks/Plumbing_Systems.pdf
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote