Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #1

GVWR vs CCC on yellow sticker (Greyhawk 31FSP)

Hi, all. Hoping all of you can clear up my confusion (or at least some of it!!) We are currently shopping for class c. Have been looking at a few options. Today, I was looking at the "door sticker" on a Greyhawk 31FSP and it has completely confused me. I was under the impression that to calculate how much cargo you can put in a MH, you take the GVWR and subtract the UVW, subtract a full water tank, subtract a full propane tank, and subtract the SCWR (number of seatbelts multiplied by 154). That gives approximate allowable cargo (CCC). So, first question: is that correct?

If that is, indeed, correct, then for the Greyhawk my math would be GVWR of 22,000 minus (UVW 13,306; Water 364; SCWR 1,232 for 8 people; Propane 56) which leaves me with 7,042 lbs of cargo capacity.

However, the "door sticker" of the Greyhawk says that we can only put 1,194 lbs of cargo in. What??? Where does that number come from? What math calculation gets me to 1,194?? HELP!!!

Thanks in advance! I cannot begin to tell you how much I have learned from all of you and am very grateful for all your generous help!

Yvette
Attached Thumbnails
fsp sticker.jpg  
mcemom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #2

GVWR includes towing capacity. The CCC on the door would be what you can carry on the chassis.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
GVWR includes towing capacity. The CCC on the door would be what you can carry on the chassis.
Hi, Grumpy! So, that math comes to the right number, but just raises more questions!

The GCWR of 22,000
minus 7,500 tow capacity
minus 13,306 UVW
equals the 1,194 on the sticker.

Question: Is that 1,194 then supposed to include the 8 people on the sticker? 8 people at 154lbs is 1,232! So, we would be overloaded with NOTHING in the MH?? Does that mean that if we are NOT towing, we can add the 7,500 back into the cargo weight?

My hubby and I and the 3 large dogs come out to 700 lbs! If we have two of the teens with us, we are up to close to 950 lbs and that is with the MH completely empty!!

So, why does anyone actually purchase a bunkhouse if you cannot put anyone IN the bunkhouse?

Yvette
Old 10-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcemom3 View Post
Does that mean that if we are NOT towing, we can add the 7,500 back into the cargo weight?
No.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi, Grumpy! So, that math comes to the right number, but just raises more questions!

The GCWR of 22,000
minus 7,500 tow capacity
minus 13,306 UVW
equals the 1,194 on the sticker.

Question: Is that 1,194 then supposed to include the 8 people on the sticker? 8 people at 154lbs is 1,232! So, we would be overloaded with NOTHING in the MH?? Does that mean that if we are NOT towing, we can add the 7,500 back into the cargo weight?

My hubby and I and the 3 large dogs come out to 700 lbs! If we have two of the teens with us, we are up to close to 950 lbs and that is with the MH completely empty!!

So, why does anyone actually purchase a bunkhouse if you cannot put anyone IN the bunkhouse?

Yvette
We were “just looking” (as I always tell my wife) at Cs at a local RV show and I was very surprised at the look CCC of class Cs. Maybe they should be built on a 550 not 450 chassis.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #6

Ford's chassis weight rating (GVWR) is 14,500 lbs, you subtract the unloaded weight from the GVWR to get your cargo carrying capacity. Passengers, water, any other cargo eat into the CCC.

You cannot add the unused portion of the combination weight rating (GCWR) not used for towing back into the CCC. Also as your sticker shows if you tow anything with tongue weight that also counts against your CCC.

Many folks run overweight, just a fact with such Class C units. Likely why the market for Class C's built on medium duty chassis.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #7

Like flying small planes. We had a beechcraft that would seat 6 but only had a little over 1000 lbs capacity. Everyone had to be skinny and no luggage.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #8

The sticker is correct. The FS’s are heavy and offer little in CCC, however you will find there is not much storage to take that kind of cargo/weight anyway. We have a 31FS and travel with two kids and a big dog. We are able to carry everything that’s REALLY needed for an enjoyable trip. Fully loaded I am at our max, but not over....and that includes bikes on the back, boards on the roof rack and a front hitch mounted spare. We travel light on the water and try to keep the tanks empty. My Greyhawk drives/rides very nice loaded down! Get the floor plan that works for you, and make it work!
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #9

Thanks, Robbyr and Cannon. I guess that clears it up. So, we are back to trying to figure out if we want to spend the money on the Seneca or if we want to spend the money to upgrade our truck and get a 5th wheel. Sigh. This is a very painful process!
Thank you all!
Y
Old 10-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #10

Thanks! I was thinking I could make it work, but the problem is we have teenagers and 3 HUGE dogs. The math is a little concerning. Two adults, two teens (assuming only 2 come along!), 3 dogs equals 1045 pounds! No matter how much I pare down, I don't think I could keep it close to 149 pounds, so how far "over" can we go without putting the investment at more risk than it's worth? I really love the 31FSP, but going to have to give it much more thought. This isn't easy.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #11

Carry heavy or added stuff in our toad...problem solved. Remember you can tow 7500lbs. You can always go to a class A on the Ford F53 chassis as it will give you substantially more ccc...but at the cost of a terrible rough ride. We have had one.

The F450 is more than capable and a perfect choice unless your a large family and travel for extended periods where you need to carry more. Like others we have sized down from class A gas and even diesel motorhomes previously and had to learn to pack lighter but really don't miss having stuff we hauled around with us we seldom or never used.

The class C's have limited storage outside and inside so it would be really hard to overload. We find after extended trips that the storage is very adequate for us. We really like the ease of driving, handling, servicing and using our class C. All in a very affordable package compared to other types like Super C's or Class A's. Yes there is some weight carrying limitations but I will work around that for the other benefits of ownership.

Unless your going to travel extensively and have very deep pockets the class C can't be beat. Cheaper to purchase. cheaper to maintain, cheaper for insurance, less hit on depreciation, and tires, batteries and other stuff cost less which over time can add up. This is speaking from experience.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #12

Quote:
putting the investment at more risk
Investment? Lol.

If it helps, the Entegra Esteem 31L is the same rig with 1243 lbs capacity.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #13

mcemom3 - the leftover capacity on the Larger Class C's is a joke. I seriously doubt than more than 1 in 10 people respect the limits.

1100-1200 pounds of CCC means no water, no food in the pantry, no extra clothing.

It's ridiculous.
Like someone said, the bigger ones should be on the 550 frame.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #14

CCC is the first thing I look at when I see a rig on a lot or a show. I couldn’t care less how nice it is if I have to worry about what I’m putting in it all the time.

I like my smaller C because I don’t worry about how heavy I am. I know when I weigh it I’ll have room to spare.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
The F450 is more than capable and a perfect choice unless your a large family and travel for extended periods where you need to carry more. Like others we have sized down from class A gas and even diesel motorhomes previously and had to learn to pack lighter but really don't miss having stuff we hauled around with us we seldom or never used.
Most families who buy the bunkhouse "C's" have younger children too. I think mcemom-3's usage is an exception more than the norm.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Carry heavy or added stuff in our toad...problem solved. Remember you can tow 7500lbs. You can always go to a class A on the Ford F53 chassis as it will give you substantially more ccc...but at the cost of a terrible rough ride. We have had one.

The class C's have limited storage outside and inside so it would be really hard to overload. We find after extended trips that the storage is very adequate for us. We really like the ease of driving, handling, servicing and using our class C. All in a very affordable package compared to other types like Super C's or Class A's. Yes there is some weight carrying limitations but I will work around that for the other benefits of ownership.

Unless your going to travel extensively and have very deep pockets the class C can't be beat. Cheaper to purchase. cheaper to maintain, cheaper for insurance, less hit on depreciation, and tires, batteries and other stuff cost less which over time can add up. This is speaking from experience.

X2 - Very well put, and I am in total agreement with Cabinetmaker, having had all of the above motorhome types mentioned, and now with a Class C once again !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown St. View Post
The sticker is correct. The FS’s are heavy and offer little in CCC, however you will find there is not much storage to take that kind of cargo/weight anyway. We have a 31FS and travel with two kids and a big dog. We are able to carry everything that’s REALLY needed for an enjoyable trip. Fully loaded I am at our max, but not over....and that includes bikes on the back, boards on the roof rack and a front hitch mounted spare. We travel light on the water and try to keep the tanks empty. My Greyhawk drives/rides very nice loaded down! Get the floor plan that works for you, and make it work!
Just picked up a 2018 31FS. Curious to hear about and see pics if you have of your spare tire setup.
Thanks
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #18

From TT to RV's, this topic is a common one. It's all a trade off and you have to decide the variables that enter the equation.

Yes it's low, but then again, I don't have any issues packing my family of 4 within the constraints. Bigger rigs = more cargo = longer vehicle = not getting into most of the camp sites we visit often.

Regarding the spare tire, I keep it at the same location I keep the spare tires for my motorcycles, at the tire shop.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #19

I have a 31FS, and I can see two of those big dogs in the lower bunk already, and the third dog on the rear queen. In our rig it's just me, the wife and grown daughter. The upper bunk is for all the baggage. Works great. It rides like a dream. I have a weigh station just down the street and I'm not even close to 14,500, but I run light as a matter of principle and just load enough water to get us to the campground. If you get a toad you really should go four down and not a dolly. A dolly adds hitch weight you don't want. Just a few things I do to save weight; all utensils are plastic or paper.(Who wants to do dishes anyway?) No heavy glass or canned goods. Disposable plastic cups for drinks(those red ones), and paper plates that are strong enough. Foam cups for coffee or hot drinks. We have a cat, and had no good place for the cat box, so I put it in the bottom of the wardrobe and took both doors off it. That saved some weight. I can tell you those suckers are heavy with the mirrors too. We tow a Kia Soul 4 down. With the back seats forward there's a ton of room in there for storage. Jayco knows folks run over gross. I think that's one of the reasons for the Hellwigs. If your running at or slightly over you have to be that much more careful with speed and keep a big gap between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post

Regarding the spare tire, I keep it at the same location I keep the spare tires for my motorcycles, at the tire shop.
X2...
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote