Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Hairline 'cracks' on cap near roof on our C

While washing our C this last week my husband noticed what appears to be hairline 'cracks' in the finish near the roof on our Jayco 31DS. He said the marks appear to be 5"-6" long and are superficial and parallel to each other. They are not scratches. Definitely something to keep our eye on. Has anyone else noticed something like this?
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #2

It's actually very common and most likely limited to the clearcoat only. I see a lot of it on boats in the gel coat. A lot of marinas carry products to repair them. Structurally, not an issue. But unsightly nonetheless and completely repairable. Have your dealer assess the severity and if it needs immediate repair.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fivers View Post
While washing our C this last week my husband noticed what appears to be hairline 'cracks' in the finish near the roof on our Jayco 31DS. He said the marks appear to be 5"-6" long and are superficial and parallel to each other. They are not scratches. Definitely something to keep our eye on. Has anyone else noticed something like this?

Interestingly enough, I found these on the roof of my Jayco Melbourne last week after returning from a 12 day road trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
Interestingly enough, I found these on the roof of my Jayco Melbourne last week after returning from a 12 day road trip

These are known as spider cracks,obviously enough. I get them on my boat as well. Not yet on my 2018 mv29. The are superficial and are in the gelcoat surface. If you're in warranty have them fix it, if not go to any marine store they have patch kits. Its not difficult to repair.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Hairline 'cracks' on cap near roof on our C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
These are known as spider cracks,obviously enough. I get them on my boat as well. Not yet on my 2018 mv29. The are superficial and are in the gelcoat surface. If you're in warranty have them fix it, if not go to any marine store they have patch kits. Its not difficult to repair.

Rod...thanks for the info. My only concern is it looks like there is something below the surface, like a screw not properly seated...but I couldn't really tell. I'll have to explore the repair kit option you mentioned (since I purchased used I'm out of warranty).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

Spider or stress cracks are a fact of life on fiberglass. All it takes is for the gelcoat being sprayed in the mold to be slightly over thick in an area. Gelcoat is very brittle and has no strength properties. It has some elasticity, but that is greatly reduced as it gets thick. As little as 1 mm of extra thickness can cause cracks to form. Fiberglass laminates are designed to have a certain amount of flexibility. The problem is that the gelcoat, because it is a seperate layer and is not reinforced as a matrix with the glass fibers as the reinforcement, only benefits from reinforcement of the laminate on its inside layer. The outside layer, has to rely solely on the gelcoats' elasticity and flexibility. When the gel gets to thick, or if a certain point is over flexed, the exterior surface cracks. This can naturally happen over time because of the flexing that happens over and over, that even though it is designed to take a certain amount, the surface still cracks. Does not mean there is a deficiency in the laminate, though that is a possibility. Your best rule is that if it is a crack you can see, but can run your hand over it and not feel it, then it is only a cosmetic issue. If it is a crack that you can actually put a fingernail into, then it has exposed the laminate and should be repaired.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
That looks like something fell on the roof. That fiberglass roof is fairly thin and could be leaking onto the luan underneath. Get it covered ASAP in my opinion.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 AM   #8

I was just having a discussion with an interiors guy regarding similar cracking in the wood finish on the interior of a private jet. Same thing. Finish was too thick. Can't flex, and so it cracks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #9

Anyone care to guess if I can cover that with some sort of self-leveling sealant? Not experienced with fiberglass...

Old 06-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #10

I have used this product for spider cracks on a boat, worked great, simple to use.

MagicEzy Hairline Fix Fiberglass Repair
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I have used this product for spider cracks on a boat, worked great, simple to use.

MagicEzy Hairline Fix Fiberglass Repair

Sweet, thanks! Ordered

Old 06-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #12

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies - our RV is at the dealer for some repair work. Dealer concurred with a couple of you that the crack lines are nothing to worry about now - just watch them.
Just a side note, last weekend we noticed a gas line leak and the auto level legs lagged going up so the trip to the dealer. The RV has been sitting in our yard since returning from our winter trip 'anywhere south of cold.'
Long story short, it has become apparent that bunnies have taken an interest in chewing on wires and the gas line so now we have to come up with something to deter/rid those little pests from our RV! We have seen bunnies under the RV and all along we thought they wanted to hide from our dog -

Carol
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #13

Spider cracks

I've noticed some spider cracks as well; dealer said may be from a bird strike, but there was no evidence of that. The trailer is under warranty, but the dealer suggested getting a quote for insurance purposes. So far I can't find a body shop to do the repair. Just wondering about how difficult a repair would be.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender 3.jpg   FullSizeRender 4.jpg  
obanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by obanjo View Post
I've noticed some spider cracks as well; dealer said may be from a bird strike, but there was no evidence of that. The trailer is under warranty, but the dealer suggested getting a quote for insurance purposes. So far I can't find a body shop to do the repair. Just wondering about how difficult a repair would be.
They are not difficult to repair, I have fixed many on my boats over the years. None on my 2018 29MV yet. There are a number of web sites that can show you how step by step. See the link below for one. You can get a gelcoat kit with color matching dyes included at any good marine store. West marine is one. The location looks a little precarious so be careful on the ladder. Ladders an I have a long ugly history, with the marks to prove it. Good Luck.

How to Repair Spider Cracks in Fiberglass
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
They are not difficult to repair, I have fixed many on my boats over the years. None on my 2018 29MV yet. There are a number of web sites that can show you how step by step. See the link below for one. You can get a gelcoat kit with color matching dyes included at any good marine store. West marine is one. The location looks a little precarious so be careful on the ladder. Ladders an I have a long ugly history, with the marks to prove it. Good Luck.

How to Repair Spider Cracks in Fiberglass
Thanks for the info...i feel better about it. I'll look at getting the the dealer to repair it. They mentioned 'warranty' so will see how that goes.
obanjo is offline   Reply With Quote