Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2023, 05:26 PM   #1

Hankook Dynapro HT vs AT2s?

We got our 2018 Redhawk in October. Great tire thread, but seeing some cracks on the sides for the front tires and the back. Can't tell how the interior back tires are. I'm guessing they are the originals. Truck has 30,000 miles. At quick glance you'd say the tires look great and have a lot of meat, but the side cracking worries me. Plus I am planning my first long trip from NC to FL.

Instead of posting pics to get opinions on the cracking, I decided I rather invest in a new set if these are 6-7 years old, and manage their lives since I don't know everything the previous owner did or did not do.

I'm come to the conclusion that I will keep the same brand as the originals, Hanhook, and the type, dynapros, and size as stated by labels and to keep with what it has (225/75/r16). However, I'm undecided between the highway terrain (HT) or the AT2 Extreme (all terrains).

I know, I know, this RV is not meant for offroading. But I do live in Asheville in the mountains of WNC. It can get cold and we can receive a share of snow. I got a steep driveway and would routinely drive on mountain terrain up here.

Most specs about the tires are the same, such as thread depth, loan index (115), load range (E1), weight, Max PSI (80), speed rating, etc.

The AT2s have a 60k warratny for some reason, and the HTs only have 40k.

Also, the HTs have waaaaay more reviews (getting them on Discount Tire).

I used to have a Jeep Wragnler Willys and it came with MTs, and I always liked the more aggressive look.

So I know the RV is not meant for offroading, but I like the more aggressive AT2 look and the fact that they are designed for more winter weather if needed ("Three-peak mountain snowflake and M+S severe weather rated, the AT2 can handle even the harshest of winter weather.)". Also they seem to have more features and I'm thinking maybe they have stronger side walls? Better braking? Better grip?

I couldn't find much on this forum regarding the AT2s, or on other forums either.

Anyone see any downside to getting AT2's? Anyone w/ experience w/ them? Thanks!!!

Here are links to compare them:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...treme/p/120498

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...t-rh12/p/12842

Buyer guide (considering the first 2):
https://www.discounttire.com/blog/ha...o-buyers-guide
Old 12-02-2023, 10:47 AM   #2

Just a note that w/ motorhome tires, tire tread remaining is supposed to be ignored. As you noted, it's the age of the tire that's considered the deciding factor.

I run "normal" tires and have had no problems in the snow here. The motorhome is heavy and I can make it most places. That said, I just put four BF Goodrich "Trail Terrain" tires on my SUV. We've only had one decent snow but so far I'm very happy with them. They're "Three Peak" rated, relatively quiet...
Old 12-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #3

I have the AT2s on my pickup. Great in the snow and clean out well in mud. They are wearing well but noisy and don’t stay in balance. Some days smooth as silk, other days not even close. I won’t buy them again.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:20 PM   #4

Just as another thought, it is not uncommon for those with 2wd pickup trucks and similar vehicles to have highway tires on the front and more aggressive all terrain tires on the rear. I have considered doing that on mine but I don't often get off of the pavement anymore and rarely drive on ice or snow. If I did though, I would likely have some more aggressive tires on the rear axle but not the front. ~CA
Old 12-02-2023, 05:13 PM   #5

Bridgestone runs a Winter Driving School out here that's a total hoot. Informative and fun. I've lived in Snow Country for 35 of my driving years, and 10 in the DFW area. Bridgestone says you really need both axles with snows. Yeah, they're in the tire selling business, but they go thru some very common scenarios where putting 'em only on the front will cause trouble and v.v. Regardless of FWD or RWD.

But if the OP really wants traction to get up a steep snowy driveway, then yeah - I'd do the rears too. [ I also keep a set of chains in the RV during the winters out here. ]

That got me wondering what the School would do if I showed up for the class in the RV? I wonder if they're still held on a frozen lake?
Old 12-04-2023, 06:39 AM   #6

I have the AT2's on my F150 and after 15K I love them. They are wearing great and they do great all around including NH winters. I don't notice them as noisy and would buy them again.
MEILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 05:17 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the input.

Seems like those who do have AT2s have them on SUVs or Trucks or something, but haven't heard much of people having them in the Class C.

So I went with Hankook Dynapro HTs instead since I did not get or find much feedback from RV owners having AT2s. I do have a steep driveway, but I doubt I would want to use the RV on it if there's crazy snow on it.

Overall, currently happy with how the HTs look. I have only driven it home so can't say how they feel for longer periods of time.

Now that I see the new tires, I am happy that I got new ones. The original ones had good thread, but some small cracking. These obviously now have great thread, and no cracks. They feel like good investments, and we're hoping to have them for a while.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:37 PM   #8

Semi related - we had our first decent blizzard the other day. And I had to make it 60 miles on unplowed roads to make it home. In the SUV, not the RV.

My first test of my new BF Goodrich - Trail Terrain tires.
My verdict: magnificent snow tires. I'ma going to keep a set of these on the car.
Old 12-16-2023, 01:32 PM   #9

tires

IMO the OP should not be guessing on tire age but should learn how to read the date code that is part of the tire DOT serial. This is important safety info.

AT tires start with deeper tread so will usually wear longer BUT they will also deliver worse fuel economy and be noiser and may ride worse than HT designs.

I see no problem with running Hankook, Goodyear, Bridgestone,Firestone or Michelin on Class-C (Which is what I have) I would stay with "Highway Traction" tread. Each of the above offer AT which is All traction (off-road) and HT which is what I run. I do suggest getting "Road Hazard" insurance as these are not low cost tires and such insurance would cover any failure or puncture.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:21 PM   #10

I would stick with the Hankook HT’s.. You will most likely replace before the tread wears out. I have them on my 2019 Redhawk, (40K miles), but I treat my tires with 303 and cover them all the time. Mine look great and my thread also looks great. My repair shop can’t believe it!

Just a note, I went through 2 sets continental tires on the rear of my toad, (14 CRV), both sets cupped terribly within 15k mikes! I contributed it to the extra weight I carry with a 16CF luggage carrier I put on the back of the toad.I switched to the Hankooks and no problems handling the load. Of course the Honda dealer I purchased the continentals from blamed the alignment, which was within specs! I also had continentals on my 1rst, sprinter RV, never could get them to road force balance out. Rubber was out of round from factory!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:03 AM   #11

I think the only difference you will notice is the road noise. The more aggressive the pattern the more noise it will emit.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 09:03 AM   #12

Thanks everyone!

I went with the Hankook HT's. We went on a trip from NC to Miami, FL and back. About 2300 miles total.

First of all, I'm so happy we decided to change the tires. Good point re: the above: instead of guessing tire age, will look at the data in the tire next time. But either way, it was an educated guess that they were the originals from 2017-2018, and either way, they had cracks, so we're happy to have made the decision.

While I can't say how the experience with the ATs would've been, the HTs felt great for the highway. We went through some strong winds, and a strong, strong storm with A LOT of water, and the rig felt good and I had a clean conscience knowing that we had new tires as support.

I agree that they will probably need replacement before thread wears out, but so far so good! Thanks all for the tips and advice.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:17 PM   #13

There’s no better feeling than having new rubber!

Glad it worked out for you. When mine either wear or age out I’m going with the same. I’ve been very happy with them!
Old 01-11-2024, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Thereís no better feeling than having new rubber!

Glad it worked out for you. When mine either wear or age out Iím going with the same. Iíve been very happy with them!
Thank you Johny. Btw, when you mentioned your Redhawk has 40k, that's on the rig, not the tires, right? How much on the tires, and how often have you rotated?

Since changing the tires, I haven't done anything to protect them and theyve been suffering through frozen nights and then thawing everyday when the sun comes up. Thanks for mentioning 303, will probably get it since tire protectant was on my to do list for these tires.

Q: have you tried other brands and decided 303 is the best, or is 303 all that you've tried? Seems like 303 has good reviews on Amazon and in general, so just wondering. Don't want to start a new post about tire protectants if I can avoid it Thanks!!
Old 01-11-2024, 07:45 PM   #15
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiom View Post

Q: have you tried other brands and decided 303 is the best, or is 303 all that you've tried? Seems like 303 has good reviews on Amazon and in general, so just wondering. Don't want to start a new post about tire protectants if I can avoid it Thanks!!
I found that 303 Protectant is about the best I've ever used. I always try to keep a bottle on hand. A bit more expensive, but well worth it IMHO.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 09:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiom View Post
Thank you Johny. Btw, when you mentioned your Redhawk has 40k, that's on the rig, not the tires, right? How much on the tires, and how often have you rotated?

Since changing the tires, I haven't done anything to protect them and theyve been suffering through frozen nights and then thawing everyday when the sun comes up. Thanks for mentioning 303, will probably get it since tire protectant was on my to do list for these tires.

Now I have 42K miles on my rig and the original HK tires, still look great.

Iíve done 2 alignments, (+caster), and one tire rotation. Front left started wearing on the inside a little but alignment was done, tires rotated and I donít see it doing it any more.

Yes, I found 303 to be the excellent. Below is a link to another product I used called BLAK. Itís great stuff, I think itís better than 303 because it puts a thin layer on your tires and last a full year. But I did it every 6 months, then I just never reordered it any more. 303 is readily available everywhere, but you need to constantly put it on. Also when using the other stuff, itís best to start when tires are new, otherwise you have to make sure your tires are very clean before applying.
https://a.co/d/gNfGEkq
Old 01-12-2024, 04:50 PM   #17

I just went through the same decision making with my TV tires. I was really happy with the OEM Hankook HT but ultimately decided on Goodyear because of a shop being a mile from my house and always getting great service.

My comment is more to the point that the Hankook tires exceeded my expectations. I put 45,000 miles on mine. In case someone finds this thread while tire shopping.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:11 PM   #18

I have to say, I 303’d my tires today and I was astonished how much thread is left on them after 42K miles on them!