Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #1

Has anyone added AC power surge protection to class-c Sprinter?

Wife and I are about to begin new ventures as we ready to purchase a class-c Sprinter, lease our home, and drive into a year of travel as we search for a new homestead. While we feel confident about our class-c MB Sprinter decision, we have not yet decided which make. We are persuaded toward a 2016/17 single slide unit with the diner, closet, and queen bed on the port side. However, I wish to add a few things to the motorhome which I believe will greatly enhance our boondocking comfort. While most of the things I wish to add are quiet simple, three items concern me because of available space or necessary coach modification, these are: 1) 300 watts roof-mount photo-voltaic, 2) whole-house reverse osmosis for freshwater, and 3) shore AC power surge protection.

Has anyone installed shore AC power surge protection to their class-c Sprinter? If so, how did you accomplish this? Any suggestions about how to best proceed?
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #2

Simplest way I have found is this.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...otector+30+amp
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

More involved method.
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...otector+30+amp
On other forums both methods have good reviews. I use the post method in my first response for 3 years now and on my second RV/van.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Site Team

Ditto on the Progressive EMS. Had the less expensive ones, but these are the best. I love the display that cycles between volts, amps, frequency, and fault code status.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #5

Greetings, thanks for the suggestions. I agree with your opinions regarding the Progressive EMS. I have already researched that unit and agree that it is probably the best choice … assuming there is an appropriate location for the install. My real issue is where to physically mount the EMA to accomplish a tidy install. Space seems very limited and the 30 amp house connector is on the outside port wall of the coach. It seems that interior storage space wall panel needs to be removed to gain access to the wires on the backside of the connector so that the EMS can be properly connected. I then suppose the EMS could be mounted on a nearby bulkhead. But, I am only guessing since have no actual experience inside the coach. These issue will affect my coach purchase decision, and Jayco has not been helpful in answering these questions … only referring me to the dealer. Sadly dealers I've met thus far convey very little confidence in their ability to install these items. Certainly, I can do this simple electrical work myself, but I'd much rather throw it into the coach purchase negotiation and pay a competent technician to complete the task. But, I am beginning to wonder if the EMS neatly fitted into a Sprinter class-c.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
Site Team

Can't help with a location for the hard-wired version, but the portable one plugs into the power pedestal, and the end of your power cord plugs into it. You can also take it with you when you change campers, without having to remove the hard wired version. If you're keeping this one for a long time, the hard wire one will be fine.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

It would be possible to hardwire one in but I think it would take a short leg of cable to do it mounting in the rear storage area. Might even be able to install it closer to the distribution panel under the bed but if there is a lighting strike I would feel more comfortable closer to the inlet or better yet at the pedestal. A competent dealer tech could do it but at what cost.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Can't help with a location for the hard-wired version, but the portable one plugs into the power pedestal, and the end of your power cord plugs into it. You can also take it with you when you change campers, without having to remove the hard wired version. If you're keeping this one for a long time, the hard wire one will be fine.
Greetings, I think I'd leave the surge protector installed if I were to resale this motorhome, but also I plan to keep this motorhome for a long time.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
It would be possible to hardwire one in but I think it would take a short leg of cable to do it mounting in the rear storage area. Might even be able to install it closer to the distribution panel under the bed but if there is a lighting strike I would feel more comfortable closer to the inlet or better yet at the pedestal. A competent dealer tech could do it but at what cost.
Thank you for that thought. Since I also plan to include the remote monitor, the EMS does not need to be installed in a conveniently visible location. Of course the PI EMS does more than just surge protection. It's built in diagnostic tools and power monitoring, in addition to surge protection is what makes it a good buy.
Regarding the surge protector, its purpose is to protect against instantaneous power line voltage transients that are usually very brief, often only a few microseconds in duration. These transient can derive from various source, such a surge induced across power-lines by distant lightning. Most surge protectors use an electronic component known as a metal-oxide voltage-dependent-resistor (MOV). A MOV has high electrical resistance which decreases as voltage increases. This allows the device to absorb the brief transient surges by shunting the excess energy. While this may be useful for shunting induced surges from distant lightning strikes, it would offer no protection from a very-near or direct lightning strike. This surge protector would become less, to noneffective for an extremely powerful surge caused by direct lightning. In such a lightning scenario, personal survival would be a far more important concern. Because of the tremendous power associated with a very-near or direct lightning strike, I don't the location of the EMS would make any difference. Very-near or direct lightning is a very different beast which would be better avoided or conducted via lightning-rods. (My apology for the class-room lecture … it's an old curse from my engineering and teaching days.)
Old 07-11-2016, 12:41 AM   #10

Curious but those of you with the $250 surge protector - how do you keep it from getting stolen?
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:26 AM   #11
Site Team

Mine has a lock loop on it which I either lock to the power pedestal or close the lid and lock it closed.

I have never heard of anyone stealing one in my personal travels. Not that it never happens.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
Curious but those of you with the $250 surge protector - how do you keep it from getting stolen?
The security question is one factor that leads to a physical install. Of course, it is always possible to lock it as norty1 and others suggest. But, an installed EMS also suits my general laziness ... one less thing to do.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
We have a locking cable that goes through the bracket on the cord, and wraps around the power pedestal. I think it's called a Cobra from Master Lock. Probably designed to be a bicycle lock.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD