Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #1

Have you increased your fresh water capacity?

I have a 2016 Greyhawk 29MV.
After I started using my RV, I found there are two things which needed to change.
The first thing was house battery capacity. I changed from the single 12 volt Group 27 battery to two 300Ah 6 volt AGMs.
The second thing is fresh water capacity. 33 gallons is just not enough.

Has anyone added fresh water capacity?
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #2

A 50 - 100 gallon poly tank in the back of your new Jeep would be simplest. I've got a 100 gallon tank I put in the box of my truck if we're going somewhere without services so I can haul water. I bought a 12v marine bilge pump that is able to lift the water from the truck to the water fill port on the Jayflight. It just clamps to the battery posts of the truck and very quietly fills the RV (takes a long time) while I sit by the fire.

Adding more tanks to the rig itself would not be easy and would take away from precious storage space. Also, if you're planning to drive with full tanks you're far better off towing the extra 500 - 1000 lbs then adding it to the Class C (which don't typically have a lot of wiggle room for extra weight).
Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #3

Several available, and easy to stow away.

https://www.amazon.com/AQUATANK2-Wat...%2C230&sr=8-41

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #4

I am old school I have 3/ 5 gal and 2/ 7 gal plastic water jugs that I put in the back of the pickup. I do get very tired of dumping them into the trailer tank by hand. I like the idea of 12v marine bilge pump.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #5

We carry a 35 gallon poly portable water tank with us when we are travelling. When the destination is boondocking, we will fill our Seneca tank full and the portable tank while it is on the trailer.

At our campsite where we sometimes stay 7-11 days, we will refill our Seneca tank from the portable tank. Our Seneca has a "country fill" setting on the pump manifold that pumps the water from the portable tank into our Seneca w/o needing an auxiliary pump.

If we need more water, we will put the empty portable tank in the back of our ATV or FJCruiser and find another 35 gallons and bring back to camp. We don't head out until we have room in our Seneca for that water, as we don't want to haul that full tank around for the rest of our adventures during our stay.

We picked a 35 gallon size for a couple of reasons... (1) It is about the most we can haul in weight on the back of our ATV (on the back rack) (2) Our Seneca fresh tank is twice the portable, once we get to 1/2 on the Seneca - one load of the portable tank will fill us up. (3) it is about the largest tank we can fit in the cargo area of the FJ (with the hose coupled). (4) We can haul it on the roof rack of our FJ as the maximum weight capacity is the limiting factor.
Attached Thumbnails
20180901_201404.jpg   20190613_130413.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #6

Extra water tank

We dry camp a lot a needed extra water too. In my Seneca I got a 47 gallon RV tank from watertanks.com. They custom mounted a low fill/draw valve and a top valve for air draw/release. It fits perfect in my upper bay and my tank siphon option draws the water in to fill my main tank. 72 gallon main plus and extra 47 puts me at 119 gallons easing the water budget.
Attached Thumbnails
20190623_211743.jpg  
Rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #7

We ran out of water last time we were out as well. And we were only out 2 nights. Granted, we just barely ran out; DW was doing the last of the dishes before we headed out when it happened. AND I did not top off the tank before we left. If I had topped off, we probably wouldn't have run out, but it still would have been close.

Anyway, I agree that adding weight to the existing chassis is probably not the way to go. If there's water close to where you camp, you could maybe pick it up for the short haul, but I wouldn't want to haul much more on the rig itself than I'm already hauling.

So, that leaves it in the dinghy I guess? I've looked at those large bladders before, and they look to me like an attractive (although somewhat expensive) solution.

Two weeks ago when we were out, SEVERAL campers had large poly tanks in their truck beds or on trailers, and that got me to thinking about how to effectively haul more water along...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #8

I can vouch for the Aqua Tank as far as durability. We’ve full timed for two years and I’ve used it from 100F days to days so cold in sub zero wind chills I had to run a Buddy Heater under a tarp draped over the truck bed to keep things from getting slushy. They are tough as nails and our 60 gallon version still looks like new. We used a 12V water pump to transfer it from the truck bed to the fresh water fill. Fold up so small it fits in our fresh water tote and is always there if we need it.

P.S. carry spare impellers for your 12v transfer pump. I’ve been through 3 impellers if that tells you how much we used it
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote