Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #1

Heat strip question

I have a 2015 Seneca 37 HJ and added heat strips to the roof units. I was under the assumption that they were plug and play installs but they are not working at all. It’s very cold outside now and they should come on. Any suggestions?
raymoe3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #2

I installed one in my 23B AC. It was a plug and play, with a knob handle change. The strip is 1600 watts which is about 5400 BTUs, so not nearly as much heat as the furnace.

My ceramic heater heater is 1500 watts (5100 BTU). The ceramic heater feels like warm air comes out of it, the AC heater feels like cold air. The difference is the amount of air flow. The ceramic heater has very little air flow, so the air can really warm up, as it has a longer dwell time near the heating element. The AC unit has a much higher air flow rate, and the air has a short dwell time near the heat strip, so very little heat is transferred to the air, during such a short contact time, but makes up for it with volume. Which circulates throughout the unit.

Turn them on, and turn the heat setting up, and let them run for a while and see what happens. After a few minutes (maybe 5 min), I can slightly tell there is warmer air coming out, but an hour later, my unit is warmer. I have had my HTT up to 80oF when I woke up in the middle of the night, so they do work, just slowly.

I think most peoples complaints are they cannot feel the warmth like a traditional heater.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I installed one in my 23B AC. It was a plug and play, with a knob handle change. The strip is 1600 watts which is about 5400 BTUs, so not nearly as much heat as the furnace.

My ceramic heater heater is 1500 watts (5100 BTU). The ceramic heater feels like warm air comes out of it, the AC heater feels like cold air. The difference is the amount of air flow. The ceramic heater has very little air flow, so the air can really warm up, as it has a longer dwell time near the heating element. The AC unit has a much higher air flow rate, and the air has a short dwell time near the heat strip, so very little heat is transferred to the air, during such a short contact time, but makes up for it with volume. Which circulates throughout the unit.

Turn them on, and turn the heat setting up, and let them run for a while and see what happens. After a few minutes (maybe 5 min), I can slightly tell there is warmer air coming out, but an hour later, my unit is warmer. I have had my HTT up to 80oF when I woke up in the middle of the night, so they do work, just slowly.

I think most peoples complaints are they cannot feel the warmth like a traditional heater.
Thanks! I may be impatient waiting to see if they work. I’ll let them run a while longer. But one would think that the strips would be hot to the touch or glowing if they work. Mine are neither!!
Old 11-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymoe3641 View Post
Thanks! I may be impatient waiting to see if they work. I’ll let them run a while longer. But one would think that the strips would be hot to the touch or glowing if they work. Mine are neither!!
Mine look like my bird bath heater, and if I have it out of the water, and place it back in I get a little momentary sizzle/steam, but that is it. I would be afraid if they glowed red hot. Honestly I have never ran my AC without the cover on, so I don't know how hot they get.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
They will get hot. If you have the heat pumps they only come on when the heat-pump shuts off. They do not work in tandem.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

Thanks Grumpy. So when you say heat pump do you mean the compressor? I noticed in extreme cold the compressor will not kick on. Is that when the heat strips take over?
Old 11-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Grumpy. So when you say heat pump do you mean the compressor? I noticed in extreme cold the compressor will not kick on. Is that when the heat strips take over?
Yes, at least they are supposed to, compressor should shut down at around 40.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #8

Thanks Grumpy!! I for one really appreciate your expertise!!
Old 11-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #9

On the Accolade I have one AC unit (rear) without heat pump and one AC unit (front) that has the heat pump. The manual for the heat pump states it will not provide heat once the temp drops below a certain level. I believe that temp is 40 degrees, however, I will have to go out to the coach to get the manual to verify that temp. To the best of my understanding the heat pump is nothing more than an AC unit with a heat strip and a thermostat that has a heat pump option. From what I have seen the heat pumps come on 15K BTU units. I have yet to see a 13K BTU heat pump. They may be there but I haven't seen one.

I could be wrong on all of this.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #10

If you didn’t specifically order the heat pump WITH the heat strip, it would not normally come equipped with one. You are right, the compressor should not come on below ~40 degrees. A heat pump is a unit that reverses the flow of refrigerant to heat up the interior heat exchanger to provide heat. Below 40 degrees, as Grumpy described, the compressor stops AND THEN the heat strip comes on.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
To the best of my understanding the heat pump is nothing more than an AC unit with a heat strip and a thermostat that has a heat pump option. From what I have seen the heat pumps come on 15K BTU units. I have yet to see a 13K BTU heat pump. They may be there but I haven't seen one.

I could be wrong on all of this.
A heat pump is an air-conditioner that works in reverse. Theoretically you can remove heat from the air down to absolute zero but the lower the outside temp the less heat is available. Many homes have heat-pumps that operate down to 30 degrees or below however they also have a way to remove the ice from the outdoor coils which does not happen on an RV air-conditioner that is why they stop operating at around 40. The perfect system for many homes is a gas furnace with a heat-pump since most electric rates are lower in the winter and using the heat-pump (a/c in reverse) is ideal until it gets extremely cold.

Here is some info:

https://asm-air.com/heat-pump/what-t...not-effective/