Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Heated water lines

Like many others across the country, we are experiencing "very cold weather". 17 degrees at 6 AM yesterday morning.

Needless to say, we are concerned about freezing pipes in the coach, The manual for the '16 Greyhawk 29MV has this to say about heated pipes.

Your recreation vehicle may be equipped with heaters for the fresh, gray, black water tanks
and the water lines or drain lines. The larger tank heaters are 120VAC and attach directly to
the tanks. Water line or drain line heaters are smaller and operate on +12VDC and will be
attached to the water lines or drain lines. These heaters will prevent water in the tanks and
lines from freezing down to -11°F (-24°C) (contingent on recreation vehicle setup).

The statement MAY BE EQUIPPED does not state that it is equipped, I know the heat pads on the tanks exist. How does one find out if the pipes are heated as well????

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #2

Heated lines

I know my Seneca did not come with anything heated, and remote temp sensors ("tempminder") revealed that temps in the water areas are only 5 degrees higher than ambient with the furnace running. Usually, when you put heat tape on water lines you wrap them in insulation. If you can see the water lines in any bay, look at them and see if it looks like they are wrapped. Also, you would think this accessory would have a switch. If your not sure, as I wasn't at first, may be best to winterize and then take measurements of temps in different areas to ensure survivability in the cold weather. Also, the heat tape I installed also heats the water in the line, so you could try and feel the cold water and see if it feels icy cold or slightly warm.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #3

Send off an email to Jayco along with your VIN and ask them what you have.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Send off an email to Jayco along with your VIN and ask them what you have.
X2, and ask for the electrical drawings.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

Our Seneca doesn't have any heated setup either! We spent New Years in NC this year and we had below freezing temps the whole week!! Wind chills consistently -3 or colder on the top of the mountain. I place a small space heater in the service bay to try to keep things functioning. It worked great accept for the inlet line for the hot water heater. That was the only thing I was not able to keep thawed. That said the instant hot water freeze protect function worked amazing! Heat from a hair dryer to thaw the inlet line and back in business with hot water! I don't believe it ever froze solid because I don't have any leaks, but i think it was enough to stop the flow into the hot water heater. Lesson of it all our units aren't meant for that cold of weather IMHO!!!!!
wholesaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #6

Boudreaux, I have a 2017 hawk mv,and the water lines are exposed and un protected.Although it has tank heaters,i do not trust that the water lines from the fresh water tank are safe from freezing especially in the severe cold and wind chills most of the country is faceing.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #7

That is why I blow out my lines then put -50 Marine/RV antifreeze in the lines and traps.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #8

The first three nights we spent in our 2018 Greyhawk 29MV were all well below freezing. It was so cold that the campground turned of the water at 7 PM and back on at 9 AM. Each night we cooked and showered prior to 7 PM then I disconnected the fresh water supply hose and put it in the shower stall so it would be nice and pliable in the morning. I also opened the two low point drains (no water in the fresh water tank), turned on the tank heaters, and filled a gallon jug with water for the toilet. I also opened all the cabinets that have water supply lines in them, since there could be some residual water in them. We had no problems.
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #9

Live across the highway from Wilson.

Ditto...very cold down here last week. I placed space heaters in the water bay, on the battery tray, and in the RV set as low as they would go. It kept the water bay at 48, the RV at 53. Kept a very close eye on them as well.

I also bought battery tray warmers but have not installer them just yet. (Oh, and I drained the heater valve...)
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote