Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #1

Hellwig anti-sway bar opinion...

Does the Hellwig anti-sway bar make a difference? YES.
I installed it on our 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24M, a Class C. The Hellwig is part No. 7254.
We drove about 700 miles this past week, on smooth four-lane roads and on rough two-lane back roads. It was our first outing with the new bar.
The Hellwig does not eliminate rocking side to side or rocking front to back.
But it does minimize it, a lot.
Instead of rocking down and up and then down and up, it just rocks down and then comes back to center. It does not flatten the road.
As for front-to-back rocking, it minimizes that too.
We bought our Hellwig online from a truck parts firm in Florida. At Hellwig, in California, I dealt with Maria, who is very good at customer service.
We live in Albuquerque.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #2

Thanks for the update. I installed the Sumo bump stops at the same time as the Hellwig and I was not sure which one helped the most. Replacing the bump stops with Sumo's should help with what is left.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Thanks for the update. I installed the Sumo bump stops at the same time as the Hellwig and I was not sure which one helped the most. Replacing the bump stops with Sumo's should help with what is left.
I did the same. Same thoughts on results too. Since both were installed at the same exact time, there's no telling which was "better".

But I'm SUPER happy with the results and highly recommend the Hellwig bar right out of the gate across the board.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
I installed it on our 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24M, a Class C. The Hellwig is part No. 7254.

That looks like the rear bar. Did you replace the front one too? That will make an even bigger difference.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #5

Installed the Hellwig sway first. It was a big improvement. Some weeks later I installed the Fox shocks. To my surprise that was also a big improvement. The end result is that we sit and drive totally relaxed in 65 mph on the freeway. No big deal if a big semi truck passes. Before installing the above parts you grabbed the wheel quite hard when you saw a semi in the mirror. Side winds is also less problematic.
Rolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #6

Now if u have a class c with jride plus, is it recommended to upgrade any of the sway items??? Id love to get feedback as we just got a 2018 29mv and i want it to ride as smooth as possible with as little sway as possible...
J2048b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2048b View Post
Now if u have a class c with jride plus, is it recommended to upgrade any of the sway items??? Id love to get feedback as we just got a 2018 29mv and i want it to ride as smooth as possible with as little sway as possible...
Jride Plus comes with the upgraded rear sway bar. The front is the stock OEM Ford. So, if you want to start improving the sway, replace the front sway bar and add a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #8

I installed front and rear Helwig sway bars on our old Tioga 31ft Class C. It made the crosswinds here in Nevada much more tolerable and less white knuckled.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Jride Plus comes with the upgraded rear sway bar. The front is the stock OEM Ford. So, if you want to start improving the sway, replace the front sway bar and add a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer.
RetiredOne, I have had a different experience. I am the second owner of a 2014 31FS model with about 30k miles. When I bought it it was very difficult to drive because of the body roll. I put Hellwigs swaybars on both the front and the rear. Now with the Hellwigs in place we have zero rocking side to side. It still has the original shocks and steering stabilizer.

Although the rig said it had JRide Plus the original equipment rear sway bar was much smaller in diameter than the Hellwig 7180 sway bar I purchased to replace it.
Scoutmaster253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
RetiredOne, I have had a different experience. I am the second owner of a 2014 31FS model with about 30k miles. When I bought it it was very difficult to drive because of the body roll. I put Hellwigs swaybars on both the front and the rear. Now with the Hellwigs in place we have zero rocking side to side. It still has the original shocks and steering stabilizer.

Although the rig said it had JRide Plus the original equipment rear sway bar was much smaller in diameter than the Hellwig 7180 sway bar I purchased to replace it.
According to the brochure in 2014, J-Ride Plus just lists "rear sway bar". It doesn't say anything about whether it's a "standard" or "upgraded".

In later model J-Ride Plus equipped models, the rear sway bar is an upgraded Hellwig model, while the front is a Ford "standard" sway bar.

So upgrading front and rear sway bars where either Ford standard equipment is used, or nothing at all, should net some pretty significant benefits.

Added: FWIW, the J-Ride plus package for the past few years has advertised "standard" sway bar on front, upgraded bar on rear. Standard Ford front sway bar is a waste of steel IMO. Sounds like standard rear sway bar on older J-Ride Plus packages was about as good as the standard front one we get now...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-15-2020, 03:41 AM   #11

Installing my helwig front sway bar this week. Just got back from a long trip after installing roadmaster reflex steering stabilizer and adjusted rear helwig helper springs and what a huge difference in wind and passing trucks. Thinking by the time i also install rear helwig sway bar and super steer track bar our 29xk should ride like a semi down the road.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
Installing my helwig front sway bar this week.
Once you get both of them on, you're going to notice a big change. I felt the difference making the first turn in my neighborhood after install.

Here's the comparison pictures to the OEM sway bars and the upgraded Hellwigs. You can see, specially on the front, the difference in size. Plus, I believe the front OEM is hollow, while the Hellwig is a solid bar.
Attached Thumbnails
front sway.jpg   rear sway.jpg  
Old 09-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
We drove about 700 miles this past week, on smooth four-lane roads and on rough two-lane back roads. It was our first outing with the new bar.
The Hellwig does not eliminate rocking side to side or rocking front to back.
But it does minimize it, a lot.
Instead of rocking down and up and then down and up, it just rocks down and then comes back to center. It does not flatten the road.
As for front-to-back rocking, it minimizes that too.
We bought our Hellwig online from a truck parts firm in Florida. At Hellwig, in California, I dealt with Maria, who is very good at customer service.
We live in Albuquerque.
Sway bar is not designed to stop front to back rock. That is the job if the WDH. tighten up the bars. tighten up the awy bars to stop sway.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Sway bar is not designed to stop front to back rock. That is the job if the WDH. tighten up the bars. tighten up the awy bars to stop sway.
Motorhomes are being referenced in this thread.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Motorhomes are being referenced in this thread.
My bad

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
My bad
No worries!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #17

I have a 2017 Melbourne L, just installed the hellwig rear and noticed “some” difference. Still sways like crazy on my semi rough drive way and entering highway/exiting highway to a parking lot with sloping drive. So, sumos next or front sway bar? Btw, my Melbourne out of the box handled really well on multi lane highway, no problem with wind or passing semi trucks.

Ken
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Once you get both of them on, you're going to notice a big change. I felt the difference making the first turn in my neighborhood after install.

Here's the comparison pictures to the OEM sway bars and the upgraded Hellwigs. You can see, specially on the front, the difference in size. Plus, I believe the front OEM is hollow, while the Hellwig is a solid bar.
Did u buy these off amazon? Do u have the part #'s by any chance??

Thanks id appreciate it
Old 09-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2048b View Post
Did u buy these off amazon? Do u have the part #'s by any chance??

Thanks id appreciate it
You can get the part numbers just by doing a net search or ebay on your vehicle. From memory I got mine from an ebay seller that had better prices. But that was 4 or 5 years ago.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
You can get the part numbers just by doing a net search or ebay on your vehicle. From memory I got mine from an ebay seller that had better prices. But that was 4 or 5 years ago.
Ok thanks, im new to fords, i just dont want to buy the wrong ones is all.... Do u search for the ford 350/450 chassis? Or something else?