Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

HELP- borrowed rv from friends lots of questions

Hoping you all can help or direct me to where i can find the answers. We borrowed a jayco redhawk 31 xl 2016 from friends to go cross country with 6 teenagers leaving massachusetts tomorrow. The friends have not really used the rv much and gave us a quick rundown on how stuff works, head is spinning and need to be able to read about how everything works before we head out. Any links to videos or forums that will explain all the systems. Right now we are trying to figure out if the kids can use any of the outlets while driving to charge devices, none seem to work unless generator on. ALso cant figure out how to get water to toilet and sink. just want to know how everything works before we leave tomorrow.
kbouressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

We will tell you only if you promise to post the best stories here.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

https://www.jayco.com/owner/manuals/?year=2016&cat=
Old 07-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

I just reread your post. Cross country with 6 teenagers? Braver than me. LOL Is there enough seatbelts for everyone?
Old 07-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

Yes we have 8 seatbelts
Old 07-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Few things...On the master control area, there should be a water pump switch. That needs to be on for water to work when you are not hooked up to pressurized water. Also note, where the water hooks up, there should be some valves there. If you are hooked up then you need to make sure your valves are pointing correctly. They have to be moved to have it run off city pressure, fill the fresh water tank, and run from the fresh water tank. Make sure those valves are in the right position. Also...double triple check and make sure your dump valves are ALWAYS closed unless you are actually dumping. You dont want to take the sewer cap off and have a surprise waiting for you. In regards to power, that unit should have a 1000 watt inverter. That is also switched on from the main control panel. Now more than likely on that unit the only outlet that will turn on from that is the one that the TV is wired to. You will more than likely have to plug into there. Now I dont know on the redhawks but it is possible that they have circuitry built in that will turn off power to the TV if the units engine is running and in gear. If this is the case, then running the gen to power the other outlets is the only way to get power while moving. There is a way to bypass this but I doubt you want to do electrical modifications to a unit that isn’t yours.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
We will tell you only if you promise to post the best stories here.
Robin Williams in "RV"
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
Site Team

I salute you! You are a very brave person!

I would buy a few of those battery powered chargers that can recharge a phone and recharge it at rest stops or when you get to power. Teach them to solve those problems! They are cheap at Walmart. (Not problems, battery packs)
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #9

Thanks so much very helpful - what is country water. I am guessing when I am not hooked up to water I want those dials on "normal"
I can't seem to get the fridge cold- the freezer is cold but fridge is warm - not hooked to power so I have the main power on and lever on gas. When you are at camp site do you leave hot water on or only when you need it
Old 07-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #10

Great idea- just got some - most days only driving 4-5 hours but first couple days to we have a couple of 7 hour days
Old 07-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #11

My biggest fear - I have been studying YouTube video to make sure I don't turn into robin williams
Old 07-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #12

Normal is when you need water from the on-board tank via the battery operated water pump. "City water" is when you are hooked up to a FRESH water source (not grey water at dump stations). Don't worry about "Sanitize". "City water fill" is to refill the water tank. Monitor it. You can damage the tank by high pressure overfill, even with overflows. Outlets that look like house outlets are 120v AC. Those should only be hot when you are plugged into shore power or the generator is on. Try not to run genset when plugged in. There is a switching provision, but best not to rely on it. Dump when you have a chance, not when it overflows. Make quite certain the dump hose is connected securely at both ends first. Dump black tank first (toilet). Dump grey tank second (sinks and shower). Keep it clean and run plenty of clear water down the toilet or if there is a black tank flush connection, use that with the large black tank dump valve open. I often close it for a minute or two to build up clear water in the tank, and it empties a bit better. Don't use the water pump and city water at the same time. Don't run the water pump dry. Don't use both electric and gas water heater at the same time. Check tire pressure daily. Check oil every few days. Don't leave awnings out in high winds, or if there is any chance of high winds. It will destroy thousands of dollars of equipment and bodywork. OK to run genset and roof AC when you are traveling. Just understand it will impact your fuel mileage. Refrig will take 12-24 hours to get cold and stabilize.

We want video of your first experience at dumping the tanks. We promise we won't laugh.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:20 AM   #13

Thank you soooo much I can already telll this sight is going to be my savior and my sanity - nice to have a forum with a sense of humor- fridge cold this am filing it now with kool aid and bud lights - happy kids and happy husband
Old 07-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #14

A few other keys while driving this thing...

Wide turns! Know where your rear is. It is MUCH longer behind the rear wheels and if you make a sharp turn the rear will push out. Think of trying to take a right turn in the right lane...if your not careful, the rear end will start entering the lane next to you. Use two lanes if you have to to turn.

You WILL feel the wind. It will push you around, just be careful how you fight it back. Don’t jerk the wheel, react, but dont over react.

Plan for frequent stops. You may have a decent size gas tank in that, but it will eat it quickly. If you are in a city and have a 1/3 of a tank then fill it...dont wait for the light to come on to start looking for gas in the next city...you may not make it.

Have fun and make a few extra stops on the way. There is a lot of pretty country out there to see...not just the destination. Who knows you may like this enough that when you get back, you may start looking for an RV of your own.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #15

These tips are all awesome!! Driving was good no traffic from cape cod to Harrisburg and,.... camping next to a couple who has been on the road in rv for 10 months, scored big time- he taught us how to hook all up - would never have known about that elbow that screws in to sewer . Question do you leave the hot water on all the time when camping or just when you need it. How do I know when I need propan can't find a gauge. And do you drink the water that comes from campgrounds ?
Old 07-02-2017, 08:59 PM   #16

Here is link to our daily blog if you are bored my 12 year old wrote tonight's https://rvhavingfunyetbouressabunch....3/moms-update/
Old 07-02-2017, 11:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbouressa View Post
These tips are all awesome!! Driving was good no traffic from cape cod to Harrisburg and,.... camping next to a couple who has been on the road in rv for 10 months, scored big time- he taught us how to hook all up - would never have known about that elbow that screws in to sewer . Question do you leave the hot water on all the time when camping or just when you need it. How do I know when I need propan can't find a gauge. And do you drink the water that comes from campgrounds ?
The propane gauge is usually down on the tank itself. Look on the passenger's side of the coach for a door -- with no lock. Pop that open and see if you see a big ol' propane tank. Gauge should be there.

A full propane tank lasts a long time in the summer.

Yeah - leave the water heater on. It doesn't take that much propane to keep it hot.

Drink the water from the campgrounds - that'll depend on *you*. We don't. We favor bottled water and stock up frequently. Plenty of other people do drink campground water.

There are inline filters available (sit between your campground water hose and your RV)_but it's probably too late to grab one. Unless there's a Walmart around.

We use the campground water to shower and do dishes.

Keep an eye on the Grey Tank levels and check back in with us if you need more assistance!

Enjoy!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:43 AM   #18

Another question - Getting gas on the road -
The service areas gas pumps seem to be st the end of the rest areas and after we pump we can't turn into parking lot so do we just leave rv at pump And go in and can you fit at regular gas stations ?
Old 07-03-2017, 04:51 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbouressa View Post
Another question - Getting gas on the road -
The service areas gas pumps seem to be st the end of the rest areas and after we pump we can't turn into parking lot so do we just leave rv at pump And go in and can you fit at regular gas stations ?
That's a judgement call for the driver. Most large stations can accommodate you when connected but your only choice is your good judgment. Fill up every time you can, don't wait till the light says 50 miles or you can get jammed up. Flying J's usually have special lanes for rv's.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:20 AM   #20

We can't seem to get the cable to work we have the cord plugged in outside - for input on tv is it tv or antenna thinking it might be the tv itself