Originally Posted by Fmaylett
What should I be doing to get this resolved? Any suggestions???
I got nothing except the suggestion to be a Squeaky Wheel.
Call CW local, call regional, drop Marcus a line.
Post over on rv.net and see if their CW reps don't jump in.
Call your local CW management.
I really think that you're going to be waiting a long while unless you really make a stink. You don't have to be rude, but you do need to let EVERYONE know that you're not going to sit by idly when your $100K purchase isn't usable.
I worked Front Desk in a very, very nice hotel.
And can tell you that even if we were booked, if you threw a fit in the lobby, we'd find you a room.