Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #1

Help Please! Warranty service taking forever!

I could use some guidance from the sage readers of this forum. How do I move my local Camping World location forward in getting my unit repaired and returned under warranty? 7 weeks in their service bay, 7 weeks!

Here's the story. In April we purchased a new 2018 29ME from Camping World in SLC Utah. The purchase process was as painful as expected but it all came together in the end. We took the unit on a shakeout run down to Las Vegas and found a rather serious list of issues:

1. Rear A/C not blowing cold air
2. Garmin unit wouldn't come on half the time and when on wouldn't hold the Bluetooth connection
3. Water heater stopped working on the last day
4. Staple popping up under the flooring in the main dining area
5. CO2 alarm going off and wouldn't reset
6. Misc. other items

I did the following to ensure I fixed what I could:

1. Checked all A/C fuses etc and no cold air on shore power or generator. Diagnosed by CW as a bad compressor and needed to be replaced. They would have to contact Jayco for permission.
2. Spent way too much time downloading Garmin firmware updates for both the head unit and base unit. CW said they encountered the same issues and would need Garmin to replace it.
3. Checked water heater breakers etc. no good. CW said a wire came loose in the panel and fixed.
4. Contacted Jayco and got permission to replace the flooring.
5. Disconnected sensor and let it rest then reassembled. Didn't go off again. Good luck on the CO2 sensor.
6. Much of the other stuff was fixed.

I took it into CW on May 3. Today is June 18. Still awaiting flooring, A/C, and Garmin unit. The numerous calls into CW were answered with "waiting on Jayco" and the call into Jayco was "waiting on CW". Finally, I have a date for the flooring to arrive but no update on the other stuff.

What should I be doing to get this resolved? Any suggestions???
Fmaylett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
What can you do, it is at CW. Having repairs done in full season is kind of having a ray of luck. If you depend on service at dealers even for warranty repairs it is better to schedule in the off season. But if it is a warranty issue have it duly noted by the dealer.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

I have this problem with Camping World..their service needs to step it up a bit. I got my unit back, but it is still awaiting parts to come in. What is odd, is that if I want to repair something on my own and Jayco approves it and sends me the part directly, I get it within a few days. Not sure why CW takes weeks for things to arrive. Makes me think about starting a company out here in the west somewhere doing warranty and service work for Jayco. Bet my work would be 10 times better than the crappy work CW puts in.

What sucks here is that if Jayco would just put quality over build speed, these units would not be coming back for service as often. I cant see how spending an extra few man hours (not actual time hours, man hours) to do the job right the first time and perform good quality checks can cost them more than how much it is costing them to pay for the warranty work to redo it all after the fact.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
bap

Read all the threads on here about Camping World and their service or lack of and you will get your answer.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

That’s too long for you to wait during camping season, though it’s the busiest time for them. Since you live so close to the dealer and it seems the serious issues other than the rear AC have been solved, why not just pick it up and use it. Tell them to give you a call when the parts come in!
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #6

When I had some warranty work that needed done, I took my trailer to CW as they are only 6 minutes from mu house.
After a week and they confirmed looking at the issue and needing parts. I waited a week. Then I called and asked when they were expecting parts? They said they were waiting on Jayco. I called Jayco and gave them my VIN number and told them my trailer was at the Harrisburg CW and did they get the parts request. Jayco said no. I then drove over to CW and asked if I could see the order request for my parts that was sent to Jayco. AMAZING..... They couldn't seem to locate it. I then spoke with the manager and asked to see the service order for the parts. He talked to a couple people and it seemed no one could find it. (No wonder Jayco didn't have it). Manager said he would have another request sent to Jayco (yeah, sure)
3 days later, I called Jayco and they confirmed they did have it and told me the parts would be sent out the next day. CW had it 2 days later.
Then CW seemed to have trouble finding time to get my trailer back into the schedule to fix the issues. All in All.... It took 3 weeks.
So.... It wasn't Jayco. It was CW that dropped the ball. So as far as CW..... SNAFU!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

I’ll say it over and over again. Jayco will only ever be as good as your dealer!

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmaylett View Post
What should I be doing to get this resolved? Any suggestions???
I got nothing except the suggestion to be a Squeaky Wheel.

Call CW local, call regional, drop Marcus a line.
Post over on rv.net and see if their CW reps don't jump in.
Call Jayco.

Call your local CW management.

I really think that you're going to be waiting a long while unless you really make a stink. You don't have to be rude, but you do need to let EVERYONE know that you're not going to sit by idly when your $100K purchase isn't usable.

I worked Front Desk in a very, very nice hotel.
And can tell you that even if we were booked, if you threw a fit in the lobby, we'd find you a room.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:15 AM   #9

I dropped Marcus a line he could of cared less, never responded.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #10

Get Jayco to authorize a mobile tech to do this for you...problem solved.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #11

Sorry to hear that YOU are dealing with the Draper location too... I have all but given up on that company, even though we were stupid and purchased an extended service plan from them.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Sorry to hear that YOU are dealing with the Draper location too... I have all but given up on that company, even though we were stupid and purchased an extended service plan from them.
Does your E. plan require them to do the work?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #13

Its a common problem all across the RV industry. Not enough techs, too many RV's. A dealer in suburban Denver ran an ad all last summer for a kid to help around the dealership, for $15 and hour...never got a single call. Kids, adults don't want to get their hands dirty, even if they can make a good buck. It's not going to change anytime soon either. Learn to do many of the repairs yourself, you will save a lot of aggravation and learn more about your RV. Next time it breaks, you may be able to repair it while camping, saving more aggravation.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Does your E. plan require them to do the work?
Sadly... Yes, or the deductible is outrageous.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Its a common problem all across the RV industry. Not enough techs, too many RV's. A dealer in suburban Denver ran an ad all last summer for a kid to help around the dealership, for $15 and hour...never got a single call. Kids, adults don't want to get their hands dirty, even if they can make a good buck. It's not going to change anytime soon either. Learn to do many of the repairs yourself, you will save a lot of aggravation and learn more about your RV. Next time it breaks, you may be able to repair it while camping, saving more aggravation.

Good Luck.
You would think... Since they charge the customer $145.00 / hour, they could pay a knowledgeable technician what they are worth in competing industries?

Old 06-22-2018, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
You would think... Since they charge the customer $145.00 / hour, they could pay a knowledgeable technician what they are worth in competing industries?
The key is finding a "KNOWLEGEABLE" tech who can pass a drug test.

I mentioned this once before, a MASTER RV TECH didn't even know the new Whisper Quiet a/c's mount from the roof.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #17

Sorry to hear of your trouble. The problem has always been a fight between the manufacturer and the dealer over who is going to pay for warranty work. Even in the middle of the busy seasons for RVs, while your rig is awaiting parts or some other authorization B.S for the warranty work, there were a lot of cash paying customers getting their units repaired within a reasonable time. I know this because while on the road and stopped at a dealership waiting for warranty work on my entertainment center, the dealer replaced two tires a refrigerator and a water heater, on three different units all from owners paying out of pocket. People paying cash move to the top of the repair list all others moved to the back of the line. I am only saying this because it is what I saw. Hope your rig is fixed soon so you can enjoy what you paid for.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
I dropped Marcus a line he could of cared less, never responded.
I did the same... He did respond with a form letter and a $5.00 discount coupon on my next visit to CW.

I've often wondered if he is the reason they suck so badly. If he don't care, then the rest that work for him don't either. It all comes from the top.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The key is finding a "KNOWLEGEABLE" tech who can pass a drug test.

I mentioned this once before, a MASTER RV TECH didn't even know the new Whisper Quiet a/c's mount from the roof.
I can't argue that at all... I've spent a better part of my life as a General Manager of a retail location. Always had over a 100 employees on our locations payroll at a time. Finding and "KEEPING" qualified people has always been a challenge, but I was paying over $17.00/hr to over 80% of my staff in 2001. They make much more now and they do make a decent living to support their families. I bet the majority of those on staff had over 10+ years of service too.

My point is... Businesses like CW could hire and train their teams to be "KNOWLEDEGABLE"... but they also have to pay them more than $15.00/hr to keep them. They have them working on expensive equipment that is owned by customers that are used to getting better service at the Ford, Chevrolet or Toyota dealerships.

There is a reason that the mobile RV Repair companies are growing, because they can provide the same or better service as the "worst RV Service company in the nation"

Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown St. View Post
That’s too long for you to wait during camping season, though it’s the busiest time for them. Since you live so close to the dealer and it seems the serious issues other than the rear AC have been solved, why not just pick it up and use it. Tell them to give you a call when the parts come in!
X2 on that. I sent them an email with pics of the problem areas and had them get pre approval and the necessary items in hand before I took it in. I was at the end of my 2 year term but once you get on the clock with the dealer it doesn't matter when they do the repair.

The rear AC could be a problem with summer camping but I would use it during the season and have stuff done in the off season.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote