Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #1

Help repair, my dog damaged my dinette!

Dog has a taste for my dinette!
Passing through Mississippi 2 nights ago, very bad thunderstorm, my dog was freaking out! While I was sleeping I heard her making noises, when I got up to check, about 2am, I found her chewing on the corner of my dinette booth! She’s never done this before in the 12 years we’ve had her! My question is how do I repair this? It’s press board. I cleaned up all the bite marks and loose material, and shaved down the plastic edging so it’s nice and smooth. I plan on just filling it in with plastic wood filler and painting it. But this particle board is very porous, do I have to prime it with something before a use filler?

Anyone ever repair this el-cheap-O furniture before? God I wish they had used plywood!
Attached Thumbnails
0CF765D5-9D53-4832-83F2-0D57F884E749.jpg  
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #2

Woodworking store or maybe big box, look for wood laminate. Edging and sheets. Or maybe just a "handy panel" and just transfer any hardware.
Usually wet wood (spray bottle) then apply putty. Or cut off a chunk, gorilla glue new piece and shape.
Jeffp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffp60 View Post
Woodworking store or maybe big box, look for wood laminate. Edging and sheets. Or maybe just a "handy panel" and just transfer any hardware.
Usually wet wood (spray bottle) then apply putty. Or cut off a chunk, gorilla glue new piece and shape.
Thanks Jeff, I’m thinking of just filling it with filler and trying to match the paint it’s not a terribly big spot. I just don’t know if I should prime just particleboard with something first before putting wood filler in it?
Old 05-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #4

A little bit of wood filler and some of this should do the trick. ~CA

https://www.amazon.com/Match-Patch-R...0353795&sr=8-6
Old 05-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
eow

Another option is to cut the damaged corner at an angle or larger radius and applying an iron on shelf edging from HD that matches the finish of the panel.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eow View Post
Another option is to cut the damaged corner at an angle or larger radius and applying an iron on shelf edging from HD that matches the finish of the panel.
Another great option. I’m on the road for 2 more months. My wife’s sick of looking at it. I just might fill it and paint it to match as close as possible.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:16 PM   #7

If you fix it... and then encounter the same situation... I bet it will happen again.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:20 PM   #8

I've never had good luck w/ filler. Filler on that radius edge would give me extra pause. But maybe it'll stick and stay put, it's worth a try.

For big gaps/missing chunks in wood, epoxy is a favorite trick. But it's work, you'd need to build a 'dam' around the edge. And it takes a day to cure.

But epoxy won't pop out and it can be tinted.

For a match, you'll want to cover the filler with something like spray shellac followed by a polyurethane. I think I'd try gloss with the goal of painting the missing spots to blend. If I pull off the paint job, then it's a few coats of clear.

Good luck!