Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Help with SiriusXM radio issue

I'm a relative newbe to RV'ing and need some sage advice from those more experienced. I'm a new purchaser of a 2019 Greyhawk Prestige 30XP. It came with a SoundStream dash unit which, among other things, claims to have SiriusXM radio capability. I understand that requires the attachment of some additional device which is relative inexpensive (under $100?), but when I've asked my Camping World service advisor about installing such a device so we can enjoy SiriusXM radio, I am told that it would run about $800 to do so. When I press for an explanation, I'm told that connecting the new device is no big deal, but that the service tech must then spend hours running the antenna wire up thru the cab to get to the top of my rig where it can access satellite signals. I'm also told you can't just go with a dash mount because the Greyhawk Prestige has such an overhang over the cab that satellite signals would be blocked.

Can this be true?? Should I really have to pay close to a thousand dollars to take advantage of the SiriusXM with my SoundStream? Help???
LegalBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:54 PM   #2

They are correct, Sirius/XM antennas do need a clear view of the sky. In the case of your Coach, you will need to get an extender to connect the antenna due to the distance that you will need to route the cable.
Another solution if you already have a Sirius/XM subscription you can connect to Sirius/XM via the internet using your wireless device (Phone/IPhone/ect) the connect that device to your coaches audio system via Bluetooth.
We 5th wheel and I use a MiFi device to provide internet on the road, then an IPAD connects via Bluetooth to our audio to the 5th Wheel. My SiriusXM Subscription is tied to our Tow Vehicle. Happy camping.....
Noblewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #3

There is also an auxiliary SAT antenna available for pickups with slide in campers. The mount protrudes through the seam between the fender and hood. Or follow this article from truckcamper magazine. https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...nna-quick-fix/
Certainly should save you a few bucks.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

Agree with NOBLWK

The process of adding satelite radio is very invasive and costly. I use the XM streaming service via bluetooth. I also added a Weboost RV signal booster to rv so in areas with weak cell coverage the signal gets a significant boost. Working well so far.
Knightsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

An unlimited data plan for your smartphone - cheap these days - would allow you to stream Pandora, Spotify, whatever suits you, over blue tooth. Much, much, much better and cheaper than Sirius.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

I just purchased the tuner. I'm going to try mounting the antenna on the front of my bumper. I may have to move it if it keeps losing the signal. I'll let you know how it goes. It's a very simple install. I have a 2018 Greyhawk 30 XP and I had to move the engine cover to run a wire for a light bar install and the connection for the SiriusXm tuner literally dropped out from behind the stereo. I don't even have to pull the dash. This is why I ordered the tuner. All I have to do is plug the tuner into the wire that dropped behind the engine cover and zip tie it up in place then run the antenna wire out the cab to the front of the bumper. It should work. If not I'll have to run it up and out the roof but even that shouldn't be that difficult. Just time consuming. I'll assuming that's why they want so much for install. It's all labor to run the antenna. It's literally a two wire install. I do have the a different stereo then you so you may have to plug it in directly behind the stereo which will require you to pull the dash. I'll post an update once I actually install it and use it on some trips to see if the reception cuts out.
Mikie5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

I removed the doghouse and plugged the antenna from under the dash without removing the radio. I then ran the antenna through an existing hole in the firewall and through the grill area between the hood and windshield. I just put the antenna in the middle of the hood and it works fine.
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjmck View Post
I removed the doghouse and plugged the antenna from under the dash without removing the radio. I then ran the antenna through an existing hole in the firewall and through the grill area between the hood and windshield. I just put the antenna in the middle of the hood and it works fine.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip!
Mikie5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #9

Smile Thanks for the tips

I bought a Sirius/XM tuner and antenna and have been trying to figure out how to add it to my 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV. Your advice sounds like just what I needed to know to get this installed. Thanks so much.
crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #10

Welcome. Enjoy!
Demco Base Plate
Demco Commander Tow Bar
billjmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #11

I pay around $30 a month for SIRIUSXM Music and Talk shows for my truck. This includes NAVAIDS and WX... This was free to use in my new truck for a couple of years...

This also includes getting SIRIUSXM over the internet which I added about three years ago... This was a $5 increase in my monthly service cost back then...

I use SIRIUSXM downstream in my home Internet console setup all the time now through my local internet provider... I just login to SIRIUSXM com on the internet. I can do the same thing in my POPUP trailer using my Verizon cell phone account when using my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer...

Works good for getting my country music we love to listen too just about anywhere are traveling too both in my truck using the SIRIUS SAT antenna and the internet using my WIFI setups and cell phone...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjmck View Post
This is how I ended up installing the module. I first tried to get the radio out of the dashboard with the special "removal keys", but couldn't get them to work. So I pulled the engine cover and was able to reach up and plug the module into the back of the radio.

I ran the antenna just up to the corner of the windshield to see if that will receive, but I haven't done a road trip yet to see if the cabover will block the signal. If it does, I plan on using that same method to go stick the antenna on the hood.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:26 AM   #13

I recently installed the kit and ran the antenna out to the bumper. Works great, until you are travelling north, then the antenna can't get a clear view of the southern sky.
I plan on relocating it before the next road trip. Has anyone thought about installing just above the windshield under the cab-over?
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Has anyone thought about installing just above the windshield under the cab-over?
I think that would cause the same issue with blocked signals. These antennas want clear vision to the Southern sky. I run an antenna on the dashboard of my truck, but there's no cabover above, so I have no issue with reception.

I rented a Class C last Fall before buying this coach and brought a portable Sirius player I had and threw the antenna in the center of the dashboard at the base of the windshield. It did OK there unless I was driving due North, then the signal would drop out sometimes.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #15

I have a plug and play Sirius XM unit that I swap between my car and Greyhawk. I run the antenna from the unit up into the bunk and place it on top of one of the window treatments (driver side) inside the motorhome. We haven’t had any issues other than roads cut deep into the mountains where our passenger car loses satellite signals as well. I was surprised that it would work thru the fiberglass cap, but 3 yrs and 18k miles later, it has worked fine.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #16

Plug and play?

Could you explain that further? Model Number and where you got it?
Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #17

Here is the link to the Sirius XM website. Also available on Amazon. Plugs into the cigarette lighter or USB on the head unit for power and then into the AUX Jack of the head unit.

https://shop.siriusxm.com/onyx-ez-ve...-HP-SLIDE1-SUB
Old 04-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #18

Thanks! Going to go look for one tomorrow.
Ender on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #19

Did you get your XM tuner to work? The Soundstream I have in my 2019 Melbourne doesn't have an auxiliary port just a USB port so not sure how to get it to work? I tried the USB port but couldn't get it to work?
Chuck V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck V View Post
Did you get your XM tuner to work? The Soundstream I have in my 2019 Melbourne doesn't have an auxiliary port just a USB port so not sure how to get it to work? I tried the USB port but couldn't get it to work?
Who are you posing that question to? The Soundstream has a port on the back of the radio that you can plug the add-on Sirius module into to get it working through the radio.

Tags
satellite radio