Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2021, 11:39 PM   #1

help with winterizing

2011 Jayco Melbourne
Where the heck is the fresh water drain?
Where the heck is the water pump?
Sorry for the ignorance, first winter with her, am in Montana for a month and then hopefully going south to AZ where its warmer. Its forecast to get into the 20's at night next week :-(, so am wanting to prevent freezing. All the RV peeps Ive called are booked out, so am trying to figure out how to do this myself. Im living in the rig, so will have the furnace on, but dont want the lines and pump to freeze. Reading the manual is vague at best, any suggestions for doing this by myself are appreciated.
Marycontrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:11 AM   #2

Winterizing water system

I have a 2021 Melbourne 24L. The attached photo shows the low point drain valves which are located on the back wall of the utility center. When connecting your RV antifreeze hose to the fresh water inlet, make sure to reverse the filter screen so it is pointing inward. This will depress the valve trigger and allow the pump to draw the RV antifreeze into the water system. Also make sure to place your valve controls to sanitize/winterize lines position. Hope this helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	C4A7B8A3-F999-4FA2-B0DE-41C7D21752ED.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	76138
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:22 AM   #3

Correct me if I'm wrong but on 2019 Redhawk 24B I don't have to reverse the filter screen so it is pointing inward to winterize. It sucks the AF as it suppose too in normal position.
Just turn the know to 2 & 4
Jayco 24B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:45 AM   #4

I can't say, as I am not familiar with the Redhawks.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #5

Marycontrary, further to your question, I forgot to mention the water pump on my rig is located behind the utility panel. I have not attempted to remove the filter screen on the pump to clean it, as I am told by Jayco, the utility panel has to be removed to access the pump.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco 24B View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but on 2019 Redhawk 24B I don't have to reverse the filter screen so it is pointing inward to winterize. It sucks the AF as it suppose too in normal position.
Just turn the know to 2 & 4

Not sure if you're asking or telling. Some RV owners report that they don't have to flip the filter on their motorhome. Mine's hit and miss. I just reverse it to eliminate the hassle when it's not pulling.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #7

On ours the low-point drain handles are all labeled. It's a hunt, but they're labeled. Three of them on ours.

I know that many people do "something" with the pump for winterization. I don't. I use RV antifreeze and just leave the pump alone.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:32 PM   #8

winterizing

Thank you to all replies.
I did find the drains (low point and fresh water tank), and the water pump. The water pump is in a really screwy spot (hard to get to). I always wonder what was going through the designers head when they made it so difficult to access.....My rig is 10 years old, perhaps there have been improvements since then.

Today I was able to find a very kind and helpful mobile RV tech that completed the winterization process for me. I am so relieved, and again, thank you all for your responses! :-)
Marycontrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marycontrary View Post
Thank you to all replies.
My rig is 10 years old, perhaps there have been improvements since then.

Today I was able to find a very kind and helpful mobile RV tech that completed the winterization process for me. I am so relieved, and again, thank you all for your responses! :-)

Glad you found a helpful tech!!

As for the first, nope - no discernible improvements over the years as far as I can tell.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainRVer View Post
I have a 2021 Melbourne 24L. The attached photo shows the low point drain valves which are located on the back wall of the utility center. When connecting your RV antifreeze hose to the fresh water inlet, make sure to reverse the filter screen so it is pointing inward. This will depress the valve trigger and allow the pump to draw the RV antifreeze into the water system. Also make sure to place your valve controls to sanitize/winterize lines position. Hope this helps.Attachment 76138
I have a 2021 M 24L and am about to winterize for the first time myself. I have used the system to sanitize the tank with no need to flip the screen around. Since the setting is the same to Winterize I’m curious as to where you heard that the hose filter screen had to be reversed in order to draw in the AF? You do have to remember to remove the cartridge water filter before adding AF but I don’t see any where any “valve trigger” comes in to play. Maybe I missed an obvious point?
PartsUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #11

You will also want to drain your hot water tank and use the bypass valve so you don't require all the antifreese to fill the tank.
PAL70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:13 PM   #12

When you buy RV antifreeze make sure you get the better stuff with no alcohol. The alcohol will evaporate over time and and in Montana you may need -50 or better protection.

It may say alcohol on the label or just flammable. Better stuff is worth the extra dollar or two a gallon. I run through way to much and that makes sure the bottom of the black and grey tanks have a little protection and the excess can be spilled on the ground as it is non-toxic. That way it helps wash out any water in the tanks. Before I pump in the pink I run the water pump till I am sure the supply line is empty. Won't hurt the pump for a few seconds.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsUnknown View Post
I’m curious as to where you heard that the hose filter screen had to be reversed in order to draw in the AF?

You do have to remember to remove the cartridge water filter before adding AF but I don’t see any where any “valve trigger” comes in to play.

Maybe I missed an obvious point?

Not all of us have to "flip the cone filter". But I do. The theory goes that the pump is not strong enough to overcome the check-valve spring. Pointing the cone in, depresses the check valve.

I have to do it when I winterize and when I pick "country fill".
Old 10-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #14

I have a 2019 24L Melbourne and I read somewhere the water pump is accessible under the bed. I have never attempted to find it. I guess I should, just in case. I live in Southern Nevada now but when I lived in Montana during winter months I blow out the lines with air, drain hot water heater, remove water filter, place the selector to winterize and pump a little RV antifreeze through the lines. Open all drain valves and open all faucets. Never had an issue. It was also a good time to wash and wax for winter and I would change oil and filters in generator and coach engine.
ViperOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
Lep

I'm winterizing a 2022 Jayco Redhawk SE XD26 and based on 2019 models they have inlet and outlet valves with a bypass valve in between at the hot water tank. My new XD26 has an inlet and outlet to the hot water tank but that's it! Now in the manual it indicates models with a Utility Center there's no need to do anything with those valves? What keeps the RV antifreeze from entering the hot water tank. Is it in the utility setting of 2 & 4 somewhere. Help!! Thanks
Lep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #16

I have a 2021 Melbourne that, I believe has the same set up you describe - a valve at the top of the tank (hot line) and one on the bottom (cold line). There should be a label on one line indicating the direction each valve handle should be set to. Both valves should have the valve handle lined up parallel with the hot water tank to run water through the tank and parallel with the line to bypass the tank. Unfortunately the Jayco owners manuals not only are vague in that they try to cover a multitude of years and configurations on many systems in these rigs, they are largely outdated and, like in this situation, they don’t cover new versions being introduced. Just make sure you drain the hot water tank outside by removing the plastic plug. Remember to make sure there’s no pressure in the tank before removing the plug. Hope this helps.
PartsUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 07:02 PM   #17

How to Winterize 2022 Jayco Melbourne 24L

WINTERIZE 2022 JAYCO MELBOURNE 24L for newbies like me!
(Utility Bay is where your water fill inlets are, grey & black valve handles etc)

1. SHUT OFF HOT WATER HEATER AND WATER PUMP DAY BEFORE. Get 3 gallons rv antifreeze.
2. EMPTY BLACK AND GREY TANKS (we leave the grey water valve open until all taps and showers have drained.
3. OPEN ALL DRAINS ( “Low Point Valves” are located in the utility bay at rear. Blue and red lines with valves)
4. OPEN ALL INSIDE TAPS AND SHOWERS, FLUSH THE TOILET
5. REMOVE THE WATER FILTER CARTRIDGE (the filter cartridge/canister is also in utility bay outside, way in the back left side, hiding. Remove filter and replace & screw the empty canister back on)
6. CLOSE ALL THE TAPS, inside and outside and showers. CLOSE THE “EMPTY GREY WATER” VALVE.
7. DRAIN WATER HEATER. Outside, it’s behind metal door, passenger side of RV. Open the pressure relief valve (marked) Then remove white-ish threaded plug and water should flow out.
8. Close pressure relief valve and replace/screw in plug (DO NOT put plumbers tape on plug)
9. Change hot water tank valves to bypass position: You don’t want antifreeze in the hot water tank! Inside rv, under fridge, open the panel, hot water tank is there. Move blue and red hose valves (handles) so they are straight up, closing off the cold water in and hot out, so water will now flow around the tank through the bypass line.
10. Back out to the utility bay. At the fresh water intake (where you attach a garden hose to fill the fresh water) there’s a cone shaped screen with rubber washer. FLIP IT AROUND so the cone shape is pointing inward. This activates a small check valve in that fresh water intake.
11. Still at utility bay, turn both water choice handles so they point to the Winterize/Sanitize (Lines) positions (2 & 4) NOT the sanitize tank
12. There should be a short garden hose with a special end on it. Attach it to the water intake where you’ve switched the little screen around. Put the bare end of the hose into your jug of RV antifreeze. It will take about 2/3 of a large jug (2-3 gallons)
13. There’s a water pump switch on the upper left side of the utility panel. Switch it on and it should begin syphoning the antifreeze up into the system. *make sure all the taps & valves are closed. If it doesn’t start to syphon, turn the shower tap on and off and it might help start the syphoning. It SHOULD stop syphoning and the pump will shut off by itself after it sucks up a couple gallons.
14. Go inside and one at a time, turn ON all taps and showers, flush toilet until they flow antifreeze. The water pump will come on and suck in more antifreeze so make sure you have enough.
15. Now pour the remaining antifreeze into the shower drain and sinks traps to be extra sure.
Gabbyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbyk View Post
WINTERIZE 2022 JAYCO MELBOURNE 24L for newbies like me!
(Utility Bay is where your water fill inlets are, grey & black valve handles etc)

12. There should be a short garden hose with a special end on it. Attach it to the water intake where you’ve switched the little screen around. Put the bare end of the hose into your jug of RV antifreeze. It will take about 2/3 of a large jug (2-3 gallons
We bought our Redhawk used and there’s no hose. What is the special end? (I’m using a short piece of clean water hose I cut off and it won’t suction.)
ArthurH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurH View Post
We bought our Redhawk used and there’s no hose. What is the special end? (I’m using a short piece of clean water hose I cut off and it won’t suction.)

Mine came with a "dedicated hose", nothing special. just one end has a male garden hose fitting.

Yesterday, I had a devil of a time getting the AF to suck up out of the jug. Flipping the screen inward and tightening the connections to prevent air leaks finally worked for me.