Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2020, 04:19 AM   #1

Helper springs help

I was wondering if I need helper springs? I have just ordered the heywig sway bars and the steering stabilizer. Will it help out a lot or not? I am a newbee at this also. I have a new 2018 Greyhawk 29mv. Thank you to all of you for your help so far with all the answers I have received. Also I am not sure which kit to order I saw there is one for 5 leaf spring and a 11 leaf spring cannot look underneath at present because of the snow around it.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:52 AM   #2

You already have Hellwig helper springs - no need to buy anything. Just adjust the spring gap to 2” on your rig and you’ll be set.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
You already have Hellwig helper springs - no need to buy anything. Just adjust the spring gap to 2” on your rig and you’ll be set.

I do??? Did not know that will have make the adjustment Thank you.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #4

Unless you bought it used and the prior owner removed them, you should have them stock on that MY Greyhawk.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamerjk View Post
I was wondering if I need helper springs? I have just ordered the heywig sway bars and the steering stabilizer. Will it help out a lot or not? I am a newbee at this also. I have a new 2018 Greyhawk 29mv. Thank you to all of you for your help so far with all the answers I have received. Also I am not sure which kit to order I saw there is one for 5 leaf spring and a 11 leaf spring cannot look underneath at present because of the snow around it.
I see I cannot spell very good also should be hellwig sway bars. Sorry.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Unless you bought it used and the prior owner removed them, you should have them stock on that MY Greyhawk.
No it is Brand New 2018 Greyhawk.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #7

You have them on already. Get an adjustable wrench to make job of screwing in nuts on helper springs easier. The steering stabilizer is a great help as is the larger helwig sway bars. You may also look at installing the sumo springs. I felt replacing the stock bump stops in front with the sumo springs was very easy and really stops the sway from wind and turns.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob View Post
You have them on already. Get an adjustable wrench to make job of screwing in nuts on helper springs easier. The steering stabilizer is a great help as is the larger helwig sway bars. You may also look at installing the sumo springs. I felt replacing the stock bump stops in front with the sumo springs was very easy and really stops the sway from wind and turns.

Enjoy the journey

Thank you for the info I will look into the springs.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #9

Your rig came from the factory equipped with Hellwig Helper springs in the rear. They ride on top of the OEM Ford leaf pack in the rear. The problem is that from the factory, they come just attached, not adjusted. So you need to tighten them down so they're actually doing something instead of just being bolted on.

The wrench you want is a ratchet wrench. It's seriously worth purchasing one (or even a set) just for this job. Just make sure whatever set you get includes the size you need. That was a problem I ran into.

And when you get started, have two wrenches handy so you can back off the jam nut. Some jack wagon over-torqued my jam nut and destroyed the threads on that U-bolt, so I had to cut it off and replace it.

Many people say to tighten them down to 2" above the leaf pack. According to the instructions, you can go to 3/4"; I went to 1". They help some, but IMO, not enough. I'm looking to make a couple other upgrades back there to include Sumo springs and a Track Bar.

Up front, I installed an upgraded Hellwig sway bar, Roadmaster Reflex, and Sumo bump stop replacements which all resulted in a dramatic improvement in driveability of the rig. This year's project is to tighten up the rear.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Your rig came from the factory equipped with Hellwig Helper springs in the rear. They ride on top of the OEM Ford leaf pack in the rear. The problem is that from the factory, they come just attached, not adjusted. So you need to tighten them down so they're actually doing something instead of just being bolted on.

The wrench you want is a ratchet wrench. It's seriously worth purchasing one (or even a set) just for this job. Just make sure whatever set you get includes the size you need. That was a problem I ran into.

And when you get started, have two wrenches handy so you can back off the jam nut. Some jack wagon over-torqued my jam nut and destroyed the threads on that U-bolt, so I had to cut it off and replace it.

Many people say to tighten them down to 2" above the leaf pack. According to the instructions, you can go to 3/4"; I went to 1". They help some, but IMO, not enough. I'm looking to make a couple other upgrades back there to include Sumo springs and a Track Bar.

Up front, I installed an upgraded Hellwig sway bar, Roadmaster Reflex, and Sumo bump stop replacements which all resulted in a dramatic improvement in driveability of the rig. This year's project is to tighten up the rear.
Thank you for that. I will have them adjust them for me when they install the sway bars and the stabilizer flex. You don't know how much I appreciate your help with this and all the others also. Definitely need to learn more than I thought.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Thank you for pointing that out thing you learn by asking.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #12

Question for those that installed the SumoSprings - if you have the upgraded Bilstein shocks and you also upgrade the front sway bar, what additional benefits to the SumoSprings offer? Are we sure the benefit of the Hellwig sway bar is not overshadowing the bump stops?

Old 02-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Question for those that installed the SumoSprings - if you have the upgraded Bilstein shocks and you also upgrade the front sway bar, what additional benefits to the SumoSprings offer? Are we sure the benefit of the Hellwig sway bar is not overshadowing the bump stops?
That was a concern I had as well.

I'm afraid it might be a "belt & suspenders" solution. Unfortunately, I put them both on at the same time, so I don't know which one helped the most.

From others' experience, the sway bar is plenty helpful, and may in fact be primarily responsible for the greatest improvement.

At the end of the day, the Sumos on the front were relatively cheap, and SUPER easy to install, so I don't mind. And I tend to take the "belt & suspenders" approach most of the time anyway.

Now, on the rear, I fully intend to install the Sumos, AND the track bar. Between the upgraded sway bar, the Sumos, and the Track bar, I think the improvement will be noticeable, and each part addresses a separate issue. Sumos assist in up/down in the suspension, Track Bar assists in the lateral movement of the axle in relation to the frame, and thus the box. The reason I will choose the Sumos over air bags is that the Sumos are completely passive and require no maintenance, plus there's nothing to fail (like a hole in an air bag, or a broken air line). And they should be easy to install.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #14

Which capacity Sumos did you go with, out of interest?

Old 02-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Which capacity Sumos did you go with, out of interest?
These are the ones I picked up:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 02-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #16

When you adjust is the 2” on the front of the spring or rear ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #17

On the front and the back, both sides of the coach. The bottom of the dip of the helper spring where the U-bolt rests to the top of the OEM leaf spring directly underneath.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #18

Firestone air bags will make your ride height where it should be, help with sway, allow for even breaking and you will be able to level out an uneven load. I found the helper springs to be ok at best. That’s what I did and have no regrets!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #19

And for me I found the airbags to be a pain in the backside - just something else to futz with (airing them up and down). I like the set and forget the helper springs give me.

I had a Sunseeker with airbags - I had them pulled off in favor of a 2 more leafs added to the OEM stack.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #20

Quote:
And for me I found the airbags to be a pain in the backside - just something else to futz with (airing them up and down). I like the set and forget the helper springs give me.

I had a Sunseeker with airbags - I had them pulled off in favor of a 2 more leafs added to the OEM stack.
I do admit it is one extra item of concern but it’s worth it imop. The benefits out way the cons, I noticed immediate results. All class A and most super C’s have air ride systems. But I know they are much heavier rigs. I would like to add a compressor system in the future.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote