Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Hep with Wire Hookups to Coach Battery

Embarrassing but I can't find pic we took when we disconnected the coach battery. We have a 2017 Jayco Greyhawk class C. There are 3 cables tapped together and then one single wire. All are black. Which set goes to postive? Help?
JD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

The end with 3 (mine has 4 but two are mated together) goes on positive.

The single goes to negative.
Attached Thumbnails
56F8EF9B-259D-4877-B655-CB3557E0C1B0.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #3

Help with Wire Hookups to Coach Battery'

We have 4 also with two of the four hooked together. That one(2 wires) has yellow tape, one has white tape the other just black. The single wire is has a veregated type wrap and a copper colored end. So are you saying the 4 go to positive?
Attached Thumbnails
20180516_CoachBattery.jpg  
Old 05-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #4

We have 4 also with two of the four hooked together. That one(2 wires) has yellow tape, one has white tape the other just black. The single wire is has a veregated type wrap and a copper colored end. So are you saying the 4 go to positive?
Attached Thumbnails
Old 05-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #5

What battery messes. I've never understood why folks have such questions about getting battery cables connected to the right battery pole. However, looking at those images above, it's no wonder.

WHY doesn't Jayco color code the cables? That seems to be an obvious need that even an RV engineer could understand. A little heat shrink color tubing could solve this problem.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD51 View Post
Yes, what you said is correct. If in doubt follow the negative lead (the single) under the motorhome and see where it goes. Should terminate to a ground somewhere close by. You will need to crawl under to verify this.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #7

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD51 View Post
Attached Thumbnails
I have 2012 31FS. Your picture and this thread just solved one of my issues so thanks. The single black wire with the white tape on it is the ground. Using a multimeter, none of the cables including the taped one indicated a good ground. Guess I will have to trace that mess to find where it is or should be grounded to the frame.
Wild4Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote