Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2019, 07:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75H View Post
Suggestions on eliminating the extender sound valid, do you use it to feel more comfortable about avoiding damage while backing and turning?

The following sounds very basic, however I didn't see it in any replies: Have you tried entering & exiting driveways at an angle?

Although I know better, when I first started driving our m/h, one day I exited our driveway at 90-degrees and scraped the bottom of the plastic electrical connector. I stopped doing that and no problems since.

2018 Greyhawk 29MVP

I originally started using the extender so i could lower my tailgate on the pick up with out hitting the tongue jack. When i started using the RV i left it on there just in case i jack knifed the trailer i wouldn't have a bumper vs. trailer problem. Yes, I can remove it and i believe that i will but i kind of like the little extra clearance Also with a 12' trailer it makes it easier to see when backing up as it is not so close to the tow vehicle the new trailer will be about 3' longer so i will probably take it out

The end of my driveway we have a couple of stone columns that would not allow me to exit or approach at a different angle
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #22

A lot of Municipalties Highway Dept's I work with have added Timbren Load Helpers to their F-450 & F-550 chassis' and Class 8 Plow Trucks to help with high loading. It's a simple rubber block kit which bolts up, and doesn't require an on-board compressor to operate. Am not sure if/how it would affect the ride.