Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #1

Hitch hitting while towing trailer

I have been wondering if adding some airbags to the rear of our 2018 Greyhawk would be a good idea.

Right now when the trailer is hooked up the hitch drags on the ground when driving over slight inclines (mainly my driveway but also in and out of gas stations, etc.) I was wondering has anyone else added some lift to the rear of their unit to help combat this issue? I thought about adding those wheel to the rear of the chassis but i don't feel that is the best approach.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #2

Is it the trailer tongue jack or the trailer hitch tubing ? You may have to remove the trailer jack wheel or fix jack so it does not rub , if it is the jack..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berjr View Post
snip..... hitch drags on the ground when driving over slight inclines....snip
Berjr,

Do you happen to have a side view photo (close up) you can post showing your hitch area with your MH/Trailer hitched?

Just curious, are you using a hitch extender? Had a friend with a MH using one and it contributed to his hitch 'drag'...., plus a heavy cargo trailer tongue weight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

Actually it is the ball mounting bolt hitting the ground on the hitch, I already took the trailer tongue jack off
Old 02-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #5

Yes i have a 8" extension on the hitch. I did think of taking that out to bring the ball closer to the tow vehicle. I figured it might help a little. I also have a 3.5" drop on the ball to make the trailer ride level. thought of going to a 0 drop but then the rear of the trailer gets lower to ground as well because it is not level
Old 02-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes i have a 8" extension on the hitch. I did think of taking that out to bring the ball closer to the tow vehicle. I figured it might help a little.....snipl
Yes, that is what my friend did....., and was more careful with turns. His extender also contributed to some noticeable hitch 'flex' when in motion (heavy cargo trailer tongue weight of 650lbs).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #7

thank you. Not sure what the tongue weight on my 7x14 trailer will when it is fully loaded. but according to specs online it is going to be 250+ #'s unloaded. So i am strongly considering the Sumo Spring kit for the rear of the rig

https://www.etrailer.com/p-SSR-106-47-1.html
Old 02-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Berjr,

Do you happen to have a side view photo (close up) you can post showing your hitch area with your MH/Trailer hitched?

Just curious, are you using a hitch extender? Had a friend with a MH using one and it contributed to his hitch 'drag'...., plus a heavy cargo trailer tongue weight.

Bob

Hi Rustic Eagle

here is a picture of the current set up, I did order the Sumo Helper springs. I figured that perhaps it will help if not with weight of the trailer at least the ride will be better as well.

thanks
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
20190227_170119.jpg  
Old 02-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

Looks like you can move the ball to the mounted receiver and eliminate the extension. If it still hits move up to 2 inch drop. I think you will be surprised what the slight changes will do for eliminating this issue.

I used an extension with 4 inch drop on my seneca to get the tow bars level and I would scrape at times, moved to 2 and it no longer bottoms out.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Looks like you can move the ball to the mounted receiver and eliminate the extension. If it still hits move up to 2 inch drop. I think you will be surprised what the slight changes will do for eliminating this issue.

I used an extension with 4 inch drop on my seneca to get the tow bars level and I would scrape at times, moved to 2 and it no longer bottoms out.

Thank you, I thought of removing the extender but would hate to loose the drop because the trailer wont ride as level as it does. I do enjoy the extension as it gives me just a little more room in a jack knife situation and would hate to put a dent in my new trailer from the bumper on the camper. The trailer in the picture is my current 6x12 my new 7.5x14 arrives next week.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #11

Does your Greyhawk not have the Jayco Ride Plus. My 31fs does and it came with helper springs from the factory. I thought all 31fs units had the Ride Plus..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi Rustic Eagle here is a picture of the current set up, I did order the Sumo Helper springs.....snip
Bruce,

Appreciate the photo.., very helpful. I do agree the helper springs should provide some additional firmness to MH handling.

Unfortunately hitch extensions can be problematic as they place the hitch ball further from the rear axle and MH receiver pin box..., especially towing a trailer with a low A-frame/ball coupler height. Also, a hitch extender introduces another 'tolerance' component joint to the whole hitch ball assembly.

With the trailer disconnected, grab the end of the hitch ball assembly and check the amount of overall vertical movement...., the amount experienced can very depending on component(s) tolerance compatibly.

Is there a chance you're new trailer's A-frame/ball coupler sets a little higher?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Bruce,

Is there a chance you're new trailer's A-frame/ball coupler sets a little higher?

Bob

Not positive on the new trailer yet but, I figure it will be close to the same height as both trailers have the Torsion axle. so they are around 12-14"deck height If it has leaf springs i could flip the axle below the springs and raise the trailer.

There is a good fair amount of vertical play in the hitch with the extension i would estimate it to be about a 1/2"-3/4" at the ball and that is significant. I wonder if i added some of those anti rattle devices to the hitch would it help that out and lock it in place.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Does your Greyhawk not have the Jayco Ride Plus. My 31fs does and it came with helper springs from the factory. I thought all 31fs units had the Ride Plus..

Yes it does have the J Ride Plus and it rides fairly well. But i think that that the weight with the camper fully loaded and the by adding of the trailer it is pre-loading the camper springs just enough. When i get the new trailer set up I will be mindful in planning the weight distribution with in the trailer as well.

I believe by adding the Sumosprings that it may help with the pre-loading of the suspension, it should also help with the left and right rolling feel going down the road. The sumosprings also pull as well as squish, because they are attached to both the axle and the existing suspension
Old 03-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #15

Dont know if this applies but I previously owned a 32 5th Wheel and had a similar problem when leaving the driveway. I mounted the wheels to stop the scraping on the driveway when pulling out onto roadway. I mounted them on bumper which had to be re-welded to take the force of trailer backend. Not certain but I believe if you use an extension and a drop on your hitch you would be able to mount a wheel underneath the extension. In this case the wheels are made for the 4 inch bumper and therefore you would need a weld shop to fabricate or provide something to fill up the extra space around the extension so you could tighten the wheel on it very much like the anti rattle U-bolts to prevent wobble. Sounds complex but think it should work. Because the hitch heavy tongue weight it would be better to mount here rather than on the bumper without further modification. I used the wheels for more than 6 six years and they prevented the rubbing when coming down inclines and turnings.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #16

I have a air lift on my Jeep Summit but only use it to hook up the load leveling bars.
Bakerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #17

I had firestone air bags installed on the rear of my RedHawk. Made a huge difference in ride, sway and hitch height. I highly recommend them. I dolly tow my car with 65lbs in the air bags.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:28 AM   #18

How about larger tires on the trailer?
Indy_Banipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:47 AM   #19

those are good suggestions. thank you

I just received my Sumosprings I am hoping in the next couple of weeks ill get them installed still have 4" of frozen slush on the ground here. Ill give you a review of them once i have them installed.

Picking up the new trailer this weekend as well so ill be able to compare the hieght with the old one. Which leads me to say any one looking for a 6x12 enclosed trailer?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #20
75H

Suggestions on eliminating the extender sound valid, do you use it to feel more comfortable about avoiding damage while backing and turning?

The following sounds very basic, however I didn't see it in any replies: Have you tried entering & exiting driveways at an angle?

Although I know better, when I first started driving our m/h, one day I exited our driveway at 90-degrees and scraped the bottom of the plastic electrical connector. I stopped doing that and no problems since.

2018 Greyhawk 29MVP
75H is offline   Reply With Quote