Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #1

Hitch mounted motorcycle carrier

Anybody using one of these with their Class C?
How do they hold up? Any specific recomendations?

What motorcycle(under 600lb) do you recommend for occasional 2up riding? Don't really want a scooter or moped.

The class III hitch on our Granite Ridge should handle it with no problems and the added weight should not be a problem.
tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:51 AM   #2

I have been going over this exact mind game for months. As a newbie, I quickly realized that just because we can take our home/campsite with us to anywhere doesn't mean we can actually go and see what's around. That using our RV to sit-see is not the same as doing it with our cars and our class C is as small as they get @ 25 feet long. So I thought a Dual sport motor cycle (I am also thinking tow dolly for the car) might be a solution. So that helps filter down what would work. Has to be light enough to push up on ramp/Hitch rack but powerful enough for two. For me the best bike would be either a Yamaha XT250 or WR250. The other mfgs make similar models but I personally like the lower seat height for the XT (lower price tag as well) and that they have been making these models for a long time. I have been even contemplating 2 dual sports but I think that may push the hitch and rack to an unsafe level.
Personally I think using an aluminum rack with some additional bumper supports would make the whole thing stable and secure
Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Was thinking about a little bit larger bike, say 600cc.
Had a dolly for a few years, it's just a pain to load and store at a campground, we got rid of it when we sold the car we were towing.
We have been renting a car if we are going to be away for more than just a weekend.
Have been riding motorcycles for many years, so thought the hitch mounted carriers would be great for short trips.

Anyway, thanks for responding.
tom35758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #4

Just get a motorcycle trailer.....
I have seen heavyweight motorcycles on those bumper-mount rails.........but on a smallish Class C, it would worry me.........
A 250cc would get you around but would not be comfy two-up for rides of more than 40-50 miles, I reckon.......
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #5

I have one, used it to haul a klr650 a few hundred miles with a Toyota Tacoma. I wouldn't have much reservation doing it again with my class C.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote