Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
The stuff I use is called Happy Camper. It's a powder that goes in after every tank dump. I also add a couple or three gallons of water to chase it with. Available at Amazon or elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2rv View Post
I use "Happy Camper" also, it's all natural enzymes, no perfume smell or blue dye to stain your floor. I also mix some in a bucket of water and pour it into the sink traps so between camping trips they don't smell either.
+1 to what these folks said
Old 12-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #22

I've been using the Porta Pak drop-ins and they do a good job. They seem to also be the easiest product to find as every Walmart and Camping World carries them.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #23

I use water, that's it, never had a problem

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
GEO Method for me
I've read a lot on this method and how it controls odor and makes the tank sensors work correctly. Currently I use the Camco TST orange stuff and odor has never been a problem [unless someone turns the fantastic fan on while flushing]. My black tank sensors work most of the time but when they don't, it's annoying. I'm going to give this GEO Method a try. I like the fact that the Calgon water softener [don't use fabric softener] coupled with Dawn dishing washing detergent, lubes the tank wall sides and sensors. Got some Calgon 32oz size at Walmart for $5. Gonna do the grey tank as well. I'll do it once to see if the sensors read correctly and when there not, I'll add some more.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
I've read a lot on this method and how it controls odor and makes the tank sensors work correctly. Currently I use the Camco TST orange stuff and odor has never been a problem [unless someone turns the fantastic fan on while flushing]. My black tank sensors work most of the time but when they don't, it's annoying. I'm going to give this GEO Method a try. I like the fact that the Calgon water softener [don't use fabric softener] coupled with Dawn dishing washing detergent, lubes the tank wall sides and sensors. Got some Calgon 32oz size at Walmart for $5. Gonna do the grey tank as well. I'll do it once to see if the sensors read correctly and when there not, I'll add some more.
Go heavy on the Calgon the first time or two. If you have a clear elbow connector on your sewer line you'll see the gunk flow. Between GEO and my tank sprayers I've been pleased with the results. FYI for the detergent I use Arm & Hammer laundry powder.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #26

I have used the GEO method for about six years with great results. I used powered Calgon purchased at Amazon along with Dawn. I always use hot water in a bucket to mix the two ingredients before I dump it down the toilet. Driving with several gallons of water in the black tank with Calgon and Dawn works well. I normally use a lot of water to flush and that helps keep the sensors clean and I have never experienced bad odors. The powered Calgon lasts quite a while and by buying 6 boxes at a time it is cheaper. I gift my camping buddies each with a box so my garage at home doesn't look like a laundromat. I will occasionally add a cup of household bleach to the rest of the GEO mix.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:49 PM   #27

GEO isn't the sexiest thing going for tank treatments; admittedly getting a pouch of some chemical and tossing it down the pipe is convenient and the literature is very convincing that it's doing something good for the tanks.

But GEO just works. There are no enzymes really to speak of or digestion or break down. These tanks are glorified chamber pots, not septic systems. You just want the 'junk' to flush out when you dump, and you don't want it to stink when you're not dumping.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet tank chemical