Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Boudreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 204
Home after 6000 miles in the Greyhawk 29MV

Well it's done. Our first real experience with the Jayco Greyhawk 29MV after rolling more than 6000 miles in the coach (6 weeks).

We rolled through TX, NM, AZ, CA, UT, CO, NM, TX, then home (Louisiana).

We learned a lot about the 29MV. That 6 speed E-450 (6.8) seems to pull through "most" grades very well while on cruise control, and works very well while at maintaining speeds while descending on cruise control. What a blessing that was for the brakes.

We achieved almost every gas mileage number a coach this size could consider. Our lowest miles per gallon was 6.6, while our best mileage was 8.9 miles per gallon. Fuel prices were all over the scale as well. The cheapest we paid was $1.81 per gallon in Page, AZ and the highest was $3.85 in CA. (we purchased 15 gallons to get us out of that region).

With the size of the coach in combination with the TOAD, finding the right service stations was a little cumbersome. Using Gas Buddy was a total success for us.....

The AC struggled in Roswell, MN on 4th of July weekend with outdoor temps at 115 degrees, the coolest the interior got was 82. I guess that was to be expected.

Jacobs Lake, AZ was a pure delight. The AC was turned of at 10PM and blankets were use by 2AM. On the other hand, Zion National Park was a mad house, as was the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Towing the Subaru Forester behind the coach was a pure delight. Parking the coach and having the car to go wherever we needed, or wanted the go, was everything.
__________________

__________________
Wilson Boudreaux
From Cajun Country
Jayco 2016 Grey Hawk 29MV Champagne
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
EEZRV TPMS System
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: West Branch
Posts: 37
Thanks for sharing. We have a 29MV as well. Have only put 3200 miles on it with a few in-state trips around Michigan, then to NY and CT and back home. Mileage reports are very comparable to yours. Nice rig to drive with a TOAD behind us.
__________________

__________________
2016 Greyhawk 29 MV
West Branch, MI
Wife & Co-Pilot: Famous Amos
1 Shizu, 1 Havanese
Dreamgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
GeorgiaRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
Well it's done. Our first real experience with the Jayco Greyhawk 29MV after rolling more than 6000 miles in the coach (6 weeks).

We rolled through TX, NM, AZ, CA, UT, CO, NM, TX, then home (Louisiana).

We learned a lot about the 29MV. That 6 speed E-450 (6.8) seems to pull through "most" grades very well while on cruise control, and works very well while at maintaining speeds while descending on cruise control. What a blessing that was for the brakes.

We achieved almost every gas mileage number a coach this size could consider. Our lowest miles per gallon was 6.6, while our best mileage was 8.9 miles per gallon. Fuel prices were all over the scale as well. The cheapest we paid was $1.81 per gallon in Page, AZ and the highest was $3.85 in CA. (we purchased 15 gallons to get us out of that region).

With the size of the coach in combination with the TOAD, finding the right service stations was a little cumbersome. Using Gas Buddy was a total success for us.....

The AC struggled in Roswell, MN on 4th of July weekend with outdoor temps at 115 degrees, the coolest the interior got was 82. I guess that was to be expected.

Jacobs Lake, AZ was a pure delight. The AC was turned of at 10PM and blankets were use by 2AM. On the other hand, Zion National Park was a mad house, as was the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Towing the Subaru Forester behind the coach was a pure delight. Parking the coach and having the car to go wherever we needed, or wanted the go, was everything.
How did the water heater work out for you? did you boondock or did you have water / dump hookups at the sites you stayed? Any other issues with frig, generator, LP cooking, etc.?
GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
TimHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canutillo
Posts: 590
Awesome.

Sounds like an awesome time.
Of course we have to use the rules of the internet here:
Pictures or it didn't happen.

So where are the picts?
__________________
Home: El Paso Texas
Jayco Grayhawk 31FS 2010
TimHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Boudreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
How did the water heater work out for you? did you boondock or did you have water / dump hookups at the sites you stayed? Any other issues with frig, generator, LP cooking, etc.?
With regards to the "on demand water heater", I never understood the dislike for the heater. We would just put the heater switch on, regulate the temp dial, climb into the shower, use the hot water only, and shower. No issues.

The frig, the stove, the micro, and propane were all flawless. We boondocked six times (only one night at a time between camp sites. Four Walmart & two flying J locations). It was very helpful in cost savings while traveling. I used "RV Park Reviews" and "Passport America" with much success.

Every RV Park site we stopped at had full hook-ups. Dumping was never an issue.

Having the TOAD (with great gas mileage 30/33 MPG) allowed us to pick a RV Park some distance from our sight-seeing destination.


__________________
Wilson Boudreaux
From Cajun Country
Jayco 2016 Grey Hawk 29MV Champagne
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
EEZRV TPMS System
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Boudreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
Sounds like an awesome time.
Of course we have to use the rules of the internet here:
Pictures or it didn't happen.

So where are the picts?
Hi Tim, I understand the need for pictures to verify the existence of the trip. There are just "too many" pictures available ...... LOL ....

Roswell, Pie Town NM, Petrified Forest, South Rim, Kingman AZ, Oatman AZ, Boulder Dam, Vegas, Sequois Nat Park, Yosemite Nat Park, Zion Nat Park just to name a few. Just too many pictures...... LOL ......


__________________
Wilson Boudreaux
From Cajun Country
Jayco 2016 Grey Hawk 29MV Champagne
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
EEZRV TPMS System
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
MrJackSprat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 154
We too just finished a trip (2 weeks+) from Chicago area to southern CO & UT putting on 3200 miles. This was the first real trip for us, so I was a little nervous all would go well. Since we had just over 6000 miles on the MH prior to this venture (mostly weekend stuff), we had most of the bugs worked out. I must say the only maintenance issue to mention for the entire trip was our in-dash A/C started acting up (cycled cool/warm air) on the 2nd day. Not a major problem, just a bit warm at times when driving. This was not a Jayco issue but a Ford warranty one. We soon learned though not to use the 'regular' 85 octane gas that is sold in CO, but to buy their 'plus' 87-89 octane. Compound this with the altitude (10,000+) and engine/generator really got a workout with diminished returns. On-demand hot water worked well with the exception of one campground due to really low water pressure. Coach A/C kept up in the most part with the hot UT weather (105+ outside). We followed what we learned here (drop thermostat to 70 at night and kept at 75 during the day, used a full windshield cover, kept all blinds closed during the day and awning open when possible). Never really got above 78 inside the entire trip. Though we didn't tow a vehicle, we did end up renting one on two occasions which worked out well.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_4222.jpg   DSC_4135.jpg   DSC_3823.jpg   DSC_3607.jpg   DSC_3985.jpg  

DSC_4003.jpg   DSC_3579.jpg   DSC_3467.jpg  
__________________
Jack

2018 Greyhawk 29MV
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
thatsme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Vermilion
Posts: 16
Thumbs up

Boudreaux, nice report. Sounds like a nice time, an ur rig performed well. I to am in the 29MV camp. Mostly weekend trips with mine, an all is well. Was wondering how it would do on grades out west.

Mrjacksprat,
Looks like you had a good trip also. Nice pics
thatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:24 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bikester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hackettstown, NJ
Posts: 511
Glad the Forrester is working out for you!!!! Thanks for sharing
__________________
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS-"Scamper"
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Prem. 6 Spd
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 32
Wow... We did a similar amount of miles... Started from TX, through OK, to CO, then on to MT, then through ID, onto NV, then to CA, then to AZ, then back through NM and returned to TX. Just around 6K miles... We hit Rocky Mountain NP; Yellowstone NP; Reno, NV; Yosemite NP; San Francisco, CA; Sequoia NP; and the South Rim Grand Canyon. Towed a beater Dodge Stratus that my brother law was fixing up to sell. Used one of the Acme Tow Dollies. Had a few issues with the safety chains (both to the hitch and the control arms...almost ground each one of the safety chains in half dragging on a few unavoidable dips and also had the dang control arm safety chains come off of the dolly on a few crazy rough roads). Also destroyed one of the awning arms in a crazy sudden wind burst while camping north of West Yellowstone. Still managed to get the awning closed and stable for the rest of the trip, but the one arm is pretty much going to need to be completely replaced. Had a terrible time getting the generator to stay running. Tried everything...thought it was bad gas...thought it might be heat...thought lots of stuff, but in the end it looks like the ground to the fuel pump might have a short and would just shut off the pump due to vibration. Also...had to reset the dang Girard hot water heater one night, but after that it was just fine. Got some funky issues as well...like it seems like some bolts or something seem to be coming loose and pushing up through the floor and the bottom area by the refrigerator seems to be buckling a bit for some reason, but overall for the hell we put it through, I think it did about as good as can be expected. The entire family had a great time, and everyone got to see and experience some wonderful sights and times.
__________________

mcsenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.