Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #1

Hooking SiriusXM to Jensen JRV215N

Our 2016 Seneca 37FS came with a JRV215N that was SiriusXM ready, but needed a SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner and an antenna. We have SiriusXM in two other vehicles and are very used to how to get the subscription started, so I called them first. They gave me another number to call once I had the unit powered up. So ready to get serious about SiriusXM and next came the hardest part - GETTING THE #$%^&*() radio out.

Took the trim ring off and was ready to slide the shims in along the frame and slide the radio out. I've done this before. Wouldn't come out. Got the manual off the Internet and it said slide the shims along the center of the frame on each side. Wouldn't come out. Called ASA Electronics, as it said on the Internet and the Internet is never wrong. Spoke to Technical Support. What more could you want, I had the expert. On the phone line with me, I'm getting this done. He says, "I'm looking at a unit right here in front of me and you slide the shims in each side and it releases from the frame". We finally just agreed he couldn't help, it wasn't working.

I decided to dig further. Took the whole trim ring off the dash, that's 10 screws. Carefully removed the trim, plastic wood trim and all.

THE DAMN JRV215N IS HELD IN WITH TWO SCREWS BEHIND THE TRIM RING. This may be the best info you get from any forum. It is at least the best I would have found, today.

Anyway, proceeding on.

Hooked the SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner to the back of the radio. Hooked an antenna that mounts on the passenger mirror made specifically for a Freightliner, but for initial test only laid it on the dash. Seneca is facing west.

Fired up the SiriusXM with the phone call and within 3 minutes was hearing Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville on SiriusXM24. Things immediately got better.

Put antenna on the passenger side rear view mirror bracket and I got "NO SIGNAL". Yep, as I feared the big cap of the double berth above the driver's and passenger's seat was blocking the signal. That means, I could listen to SiriusXM traveling south, but not north. I could listen going east but not west. This wasn't going to do.

Plan "B" was to use the little 2 inch square pill box antenna up on the roof, but how do I wire it through without drilling a hole. Looked at the way the awning and awning lights come out behind the control box above the chair and thought of that as an option, but felt I would struggle hiding the wire up to the dash and once again, I really didn't want to drill a hole.

Looked on the driver's side and realized I could put it on the roof, (Held it there with GOOP) run the wire along and get the wire inside past the seal on the front of the front slide and behind the metal trim that is on the inside and down to the floor. Along the wall under the trim and eventually under the carpet and door sill up to the dash behind the steering wheel and throttle pedal.

Once again, we go "Inccommunicado" as we continue to express "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" and enjoy "Boat Drinks", but I still like to be a "12 volt Man".
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

Thanks for the info Ric! I have a 2016 Greyhawk with the JRV215N and and can't seem to even get the trim ring off! I have the upholstery tool set and the extra rings showing where the tabs are but cant get it off. Any ideas?

Thanks!
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

Glad I could help.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 02-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #4

XM in 2016 Greyhawk

My installer who is very experienced had to take the dash apart to get the radio out. We put the antenna on the cab but it only works In some directions. My MH was in an accident so we never figured out a good place for the antenna without drilling a hole thru the roof
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

There are no tabs on the radio, It is held in with four screws, two on each side in the front of the radio. To access them you have to remove the dash, which you cannot not get completely off due to the shift lever, unless you want to remove that. I was able to get the dash far enough off the radio to use a ratchet to get the screws off, then slide the radio partially out cause you cant get it all the way without taking the shift lever off, but its enough to squeeze in there. You need to remove the dog house as well. Pulled the radio out enough to squeeze my and to the rear of the radio and plug the receiver into it. Wasn't too bad at all. The dash pops off a lot easier than I thought.
caroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #6

Caroga,

I guess I'm saying I'm sorry my original post didn't help. ? Wonder if they changed the wooden trim on the dash? Mine came off without touching the shifter.

What's the "dog house"?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #7

I think we have crossover between Freightliner and Ford chassis issues. Very different radio installs.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #8

AHHHHHH! That would probably be a difference.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 03-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #9

Did you have enough wire on the hockey puck antenna or did you have an extension?
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Cajun View Post
Did you have enough wire on the hockey puck antenna or did you have an extension?
There was plenty. If I remember right, there is even a small roll of wire tied up under the dash.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 03-17-2016, 06:25 AM   #11

Dog house is the engine cover in the cab
Old 03-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #12

Caroga, it would help if you added a signature line and indicate what Jayco you have. As you can see from prior posts there's a difference between Freightliner and Ford and you confused us for a bit. Profile did not indicate which class C you have either.
Thanks

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #13

2016 Greyhawk